Discovery Communications

2.7

Human Resources Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications in February 2014.

Applied online and was contacted about two weeks later with a survey asking if I was still interested in the position. Then, I was sent a video interview with five questions.

Public Relations Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications in February 2014.

I applied online through a job website. I was then contacted a week later to take a brief online test. Then did an automated video interview about a week later. the video interview was just basic behavioral questions. There is no opportunity to ask any additional questions. I did not hear back from them after that.

Media Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Discovery Communications in February 2014.

My resume was forwarded to the network through a friend that works at a media buying agency who had heard of the position. First I got a phone call to set up a phone interview and the phone interview followed.

Temporary/Contract Assistant Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

Applied for a temporary/contract position but the recruiter/hiring manager apparently liked my resume enough to pass it along for a different position. Was called and asked to come in to interview very quickly.

I waited in the lobby for an hour due to miscommunication between the two individuals who were coordinating my interview. The interview itself was fine and the interviewer was very pleasant. However, when I got there I was told the position could last twice as long as it had been advertised on the posting. I gave them a heads up about a circumstance that would make me unavailable for that length of time, and the interviewer indicated that wasn't an issue and continued on with the conversation.

After that, I never heard from them again. I have honestly never been to an interview where there wasn't at least follow up to say "Thanks for coming in, but we went with another candidate." I know I am a strong interviewee because on two separate occasions I have even had employers find alternate positions for me based on the strength of my resume and interview, but - again - at the very least, I have always received a heads up that they went with another candidate. I sent a follow-up email shortly after but never heard one word from either of the points of contact, which was very disappointing, particularly given their apparent initial enthusiasm and hurry to bring me in to interview.

What's most disappointing to me, however, is that I believe there is a strong possibility that my disclosure of the circumstance that would not have allowed me to work longer than the advertised time frame was what immediately got me kicked out of the running. I was under no obligation to make that disclosure, yet I did because I have heard good things about the company's character and was sure they would be reasonable. It was a circumstance that would have not affected the company (particularly as no paid time off or other benefits were even on the table), but I wanted to make sure we were on the same page regarding the time frame I was available (and to avoid "putting them out", giving them the opportunity to explain that the extended time frame was non-negotiable if that really was the case). Again, no indication was given whatsoever that this would have been an issue, and due to the nature of the employment, there is no reason they would be legally liable for discrimination had they been up-front and honest with me about declining my candidacy based on the disclosure. If anything, I feel that I made a mistake in being candid with them and given a similar opportunity, I'm not sure I would make that mistake again, which is a shame, because I hate to enter employment with less than complete honesty. However, it's unfortunately looking like that might be a necessary approach based on the fact that this is the first company I've ever interviewed with that has completely dropped all contact immediately after.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, it was an entry-level position so there was nothing so esoteric that it couldn't be addressed through common interview preparation and a foundational knowledge of the industry.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications in January 2014.

The process started off online, as many do. After the initial application, I was sent a survey/questionnaire to fill out. This survey had questions ranging from the usual (experience, etc.) to more vague questions such as "what is creativity to you". If that went well, you were invited to a career fair sort of interview. This was the most stressful step of the process. You were invited to spend two hours interviewing at each department with about 100 other people. (remember you are against 5,000 people). Luckily, that went well for me and I received a phone call from HR the next day. It is an extremely stressful process, but it is worth it in the end.

Intern Interview

After the application deadline they sent out a survey to take by email. After that they emailed those who had been "selected" to an internship invitational. You talk to people from all sorts of departments. I talked to 8 and got an offer a few days after the career fair style invitational.

Interview Questions
    • Not a real interview. Just talking and expressing interest.   Answer Question

Digital Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

You'll speak with an HR person in a brief 15-20 minute phone interview, after which you can expect a three-round interview on-site with HR, the hiring manager and VP of Digital. They're all extremely nice, welcoming people who are very passionate about the company overall and the necessity of digital analytics in justifying budget expenditures and strategic decisions.

Just be aware that the HR process can take 1-2 months.

Interview Questions
    • You'll be sent a brief assessment and asked to answer questions about potential data anomalies, ad hoc reports and KPIs relevant to Discovery's digital content.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I had a very comfortable interview. I was contacted by an HR representative who gave my information to a hiring manager. My interview was around 30 minutes. I felt Discovery was looking out for my best interest as well. Questioning wether this was the right semester to intern. Everything went rather quickly!

Development Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

I received invitation to apply to position a year after completing my internship, when a position opened within the same department. Initial interview was done by phone, followed by in person interview with person to be immediate supervisor and the head of the department. Received a phone call with an offer for employment several weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • As a test of creative skill, was asked to complete several writing exercises.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, as position was entry level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

First step is an informational phone interview and then an in person interview. It was very relax but it took forever to hear back. Be patient... It's worth it!! Great internship program.