Discovery Communications

Average Difficulty
80 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Discovery Communications

Interview Details – I had a very comfortable interview. I was contacted by an HR representative who gave my information to a hiring manager. My interview was around 30 minutes. I felt Discovery was looking out for my best interest as well. Questioning wether this was the right semester to intern. Everything went rather quickly!

Interview Question – The thing i'm most proud of that wasn't on my resume.   Answer Question

Development Coordinator Interview

Development Coordinator

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – I received invitation to apply to position a year after completing my internship, when a position opened within the same department. Initial interview was done by phone, followed by in person interview with person to be immediate supervisor and the head of the department. Received a phone call with an offer for employment several weeks later.

Interview Question – As a test of creative skill, was asked to complete several writing exercises.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, as position was entry level.

Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – First step is an informational phone interview and then an in person interview. It was very relax but it took forever to hear back. Be patient... It's worth it!! Great internship program.

Interview Question – Nothing. It was very relax.   Answer Question

Media Planning Coordinator Interview

Media Planning Coordinator
Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in December 2011.

Interview Details – I received an email after applying to a position online (and also being referred by a director in another department)... interview was set and I met with the director of the department I was applying for, interview lasted about an hour... a lot of information was given out about the position, expectations, work load, and team i would work with... questions such as "why Discovery? what do you like about it? what makes you a good candidate for the position? strengths/weaknesses, how do you deal with stress? one word to describe you?" very friendly and approachable, we talked and i asked some questions about the department and company in general

Interview Question – I didn't find any question to be extremely challenging or out of the ordinary... some questions had to do with the company, brand, favorite shows and also my knowledge of the networks airing in Latin America at that time...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate, I was hired as a CW - contract worker and was told the company usually hires this way when hiring entry level applicants, low salary but possibility of full time opportunity in the future if something opened up

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Discovery Communications in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a graduate level internship at Discovery Communications. I submitted the application online, did a automated video interview, made it to the 3rd round of interviews. I was offered an internship in an area I had not requested to work in. I was not able to get credit for the internship in this area. When I called the recruiter back, she told me that they had made an offer to someone else (after already making me an offer.) I found the process to be very unprofessional. I was told they would find me an internship in a different area. This did not end up happening. What a lengthy process and what a huge waste of time, plus the pay is terrible! Less than minimum wage. Look elsewhere.

Interview Question – What is your favorite program?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The internship was not in my area of study.

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – I was brought in to interview with two people and that process was incredibly smooth and those I met were some of the nicest people ever. The interview was not intimidating or harsh, it was more of a conversation and their genuine interest to learn about me. I then had a phone interview with 3 of their senior sales support members who were as nice and as calming as those I met in person, again, more interested in my goals and who I was. Finally I had a phone interview with someone in HR. It was the smoothest, most comfortable and best interview experience I have ever had.

Interview Question – What are you doing now that will prepare you for your duties at Discovery Communications? Do you think it'll be a challenge to change pace from work place to work place?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in January 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR was surprisingly standard. She literally said, "walk me through your resume." I spoke for 20 minutes straight without her saying a word. But somehow, that was enough. I was passed on to the second round where I interviewed with the hiring manager. That interview lasted about 45 minutes. There just wasn't a connection. Seemed as if they weren't that excited about filling the position, or what was going on at the company. The mood was a combination of self-satisfaction and general resentment. Not sure I would interview there again.

Interview Question – HOnestly, they weren't that challenging. it wasn't clear what they wanted.   Answer Question

Intern At Discovery Communications Interview

Intern At Discovery Communications
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Discovery Communications in May 2013.

Interview Details – I originally applied online, and waited about a month before receiving a survey. After the survey I received a link to do a 4 question survey via webcam. The process was slightly awkward because I was talking to a computer, but the questions were not unexpected. Almost 2 months passed until I heard from someone on the Campus Connect team who let me know that an hiring manager wanted to interview later that day. I ended up talking to a director and vice president over the phone, and the whole process was great. Incredibly friendly, and shared a ton of information about themselves and Discovery.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Intern At Discovery Communications Interview

Intern At Discovery Communications
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online - interviewed at Discovery Communications in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with someone from HR and then received an email from the hiring manager to schedule a phone interview. The questions were pretty much what you would expect, nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Associate Producer
Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – The initial communication was via email. A phone interview followed. The people I worked with were all very intelligent and creative. My office mates came from diverse geographic, cultural, and academic backgrounds. The corporate culture encouraged diverse opinions, innovation, and ideas regardless of job title.

Meetings often included people from other departments. This provided an opportunity to find out the needs and concerns of a particular program or project from a variety of perspectives.

Interview Question – Are you willing to relocate and be here in three days?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my offer. My advice is to ask, because you never know if you don't ask.