Discovery Communications

2.8

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Public Relations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

Recieved a call from HR and interviewed with them. After that, HR set up a phone interview wih my employer. A few days later she called. Interview was short and sweet, mostly asking if I could handle the demands of the job. When it was over, she said she had a few more people to interview and that she would be in touch. 10 minutes later HR called and said that I was being offered the internship. Didn't have to go in and interview at all. I had a very different interview experience than other interns did.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

I had one phone interview with the team after speaking generally with the HR department

Temporary/Contract Assistant Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

Applied for a temporary/contract position but the recruiter/hiring manager apparently liked my resume enough to pass it along for a different position. Was called and asked to come in to interview very quickly.

I waited in the lobby for an hour due to miscommunication between the two individuals who were coordinating my interview. The interview itself was fine and the interviewer was very pleasant. However, when I got there I was told the position could last twice as long as it had been advertised on the posting. I gave them a heads up about a circumstance that would make me unavailable for that length of time, and the interviewer indicated that wasn't an issue and continued on with the conversation.

After that, I never heard from them again. I have honestly never been to an interview where there wasn't at least follow up to say "Thanks for coming in, but we went with another candidate." I know I am a strong interviewee because on two separate occasions I have even had employers find alternate positions for me based on the strength of my resume and interview, but - again - at the very least, I have always received a heads up that they went with another candidate. I sent a follow-up email shortly after but never heard one word from either of the points of contact, which was very disappointing, particularly given their apparent initial enthusiasm and hurry to bring me in to interview.

What's most disappointing to me, however, is that I believe there is a strong possibility that my disclosure of the circumstance that would not have allowed me to work longer than the advertised time frame was what immediately got me kicked out of the running. I was under no obligation to make that disclosure, yet I did because I have heard good things about the company's character and was sure they would be reasonable. It was a circumstance that would have not affected the company (particularly as no paid time off or other benefits were even on the table), but I wanted to make sure we were on the same page regarding the time frame I was available (and to avoid "putting them out", giving them the opportunity to explain that the extended time frame was non-negotiable if that really was the case). Again, no indication was given whatsoever that this would have been an issue, and due to the nature of the employment, there is no reason they would be legally liable for discrimination had they been up-front and honest with me about declining my candidacy based on the disclosure. If anything, I feel that I made a mistake in being candid with them and given a similar opportunity, I'm not sure I would make that mistake again, which is a shame, because I hate to enter employment with less than complete honesty. However, it's unfortunately looking like that might be a necessary approach based on the fact that this is the first company I've ever interviewed with that has completely dropped all contact immediately after.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, it was an entry-level position so there was nothing so esoteric that it couldn't be addressed through common interview preparation and a foundational knowledge of the industry.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications in January 2014.

The process started off online, as many do. After the initial application, I was sent a survey/questionnaire to fill out. This survey had questions ranging from the usual (experience, etc.) to more vague questions such as "what is creativity to you". If that went well, you were invited to a career fair sort of interview. This was the most stressful step of the process. You were invited to spend two hours interviewing at each department with about 100 other people. (remember you are against 5,000 people). Luckily, that went well for me and I received a phone call from HR the next day. It is an extremely stressful process, but it is worth it in the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

First step is an informational phone interview and then an in person interview. It was very relax but it took forever to hear back. Be patient... It's worth it!! Great internship program.

Intern At Discovery Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications in May 2013.

I originally applied online, and waited about a month before receiving a survey. After the survey I received a link to do a 4 question survey via webcam. The process was slightly awkward because I was talking to a computer, but the questions were not unexpected. Almost 2 months passed until I heard from someone on the Campus Connect team who let me know that an hiring manager wanted to interview later that day. I ended up talking to a director and vice president over the phone, and the whole process was great. Incredibly friendly, and shared a ton of information about themselves and Discovery.

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

The initial communication was via email. A phone interview followed. The people I worked with were all very intelligent and creative. My office mates came from diverse geographic, cultural, and academic backgrounds. The corporate culture encouraged diverse opinions, innovation, and ideas regardless of job title.

Meetings often included people from other departments. This provided an opportunity to find out the needs and concerns of a particular program or project from a variety of perspectives.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to relocate and be here in three days?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my offer. My advice is to ask, because you never know if you don't ask.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

1:1 Phone interview and then F2F with 5 people.

Interview Questions
    • Not that hard but was not lucky enough to answer the question.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

I had two phone interviews and then, finally, an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It went very well, to the point where I actually expected another in-person interview the following week with one of the staff members that I would be supporting. The position was an excellent match for my skills and experience, and I was very excited at the possibility of becoming part of this dynamic company. However, I found out the next day that they decided on another candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

I think they filter people by resume first, then you receive a survey questionarre to fill out. Then you may be selected for an online interview. The process was nerve wracking.
    Tell us about yourself and why should we hire you were pretty straightforward

Interview Questions
    • Which is your favorite show from our networks and why?   View Answer