Discovery Communications Interview Questions in Silver Spring, MD

Updated Jul 2, 2015

Summerfor Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Discovery is a great company and I love the summer internship program. Applied online and got an email for an online interview. But didn't receive any further information. They said the interview will be in April.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to in this company? Talk about a accomplishment.   1 Answer

Digital Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD).

Interview

Emailed for quick phone screen (about 20 minutes). Then scheduled a 1-hour interview. Was asked a few days later for writing samples. Then asked the following day to complete a little assignment. Found out 2-3 days later that I was not being offered position. Recruiter emailed me telling me, followed by the Hiring Manager emailing me also notifying me that I was not receiving an offer but thanking me for my time. Everyone was pleasant, polite, and willing to help and answer my questions.

Interview for Headquarters (Silver Spring) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

Hardest interview I have have ever undergone for an internship. First you apply online, then I think they invite everyone to do the video interview. The video interview is short and simple. You answer 4 to 5 questions about why you want to do what you applied to and why you want to work at discovery. If you pass through the video round, you get invited to the career invitational. The career invitational is held at headquarters. Basically its a session of you and 200 other candidates for various internships. You are let in to this career fair atmosphere where they have tables for perspective departments (marketing, PR, IT, etc). You have to go up to the hiring managers at the tables and basically try to sell your self in an elevator pitch. It does not matter what you applied to online, this is a free for all. Try to talk to every manager, leave them with a great impression of you. Because after my session there was another session of 200 more candidates. It was quite intimidating because you could see your competition right there, you cold over hear their interviews. But after all that I did get an internship offer, a paid one too! and it felt all the more successful after going through that whole process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at discovery   1 Answer

Application

Interview

You submit the application online, it doesn't matter what you applied for. Then you do a video screening interview, takes 20 min. If they like what they see on the video screening interview they invite you to a career fair type event. The managers are standing areas under departments (digital media, marketing, finance). You then get in massive lines to talk to each manager and when you get to the front you must sell yourself in a 30 second elevator pitch. You bring 10 copies of your resume and pray one of the managers remembers you enough to hire you. You go home questioning yourself and they let you know if one of them hired you after a month.

Public Relations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD).

Interview

Recieved a call from HR and interviewed with them. After that, HR set up a phone interview wih my employer. A few days later she called. Interview was short and sweet, mostly asking if I could handle the demands of the job. When it was over, she said she had a few more people to interview and that she would be in touch. 10 minutes later HR called and said that I was being offered the internship. Didn't have to go in and interview at all. I had a very different interview experience than other interns did.

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD).

Interview

I had one phone interview with the team after speaking generally with the HR department

Temporary/Contract Assistant Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD).

Interview

Applied for a temporary/contract position but the recruiter/hiring manager apparently liked my resume enough to pass it along for a different position. Was called and asked to come in to interview very quickly. I waited in the lobby for an hour due to miscommunication between the two individuals who were coordinating my interview. The interview itself was fine and the interviewer was very pleasant. However, when I got there I was told the position could last twice as long as it had been advertised on the posting. I gave them a heads up about a circumstance that would make me unavailable for that length of time, and the interviewer indicated that wasn't an issue and continued on with the conversation. After that, I never heard from them again. I have honestly never been to an interview where there wasn't at least follow up to say "Thanks for coming in, but we went with another candidate." I know I am a strong interviewee because on two separate occasions I have even had employers find alternate positions for me based on the strength of my resume and interview, but - again - at the very least, I have always received a heads up that they went with another candidate. I sent a follow-up email shortly after but never heard one word from either of the points of contact, which was very disappointing, particularly given their apparent initial enthusiasm and hurry to bring me in to interview. What's most disappointing to me, however, is that I believe there is a strong possibility that my disclosure of the circumstance that would not have allowed me to work longer than the advertised time frame was what immediately got me kicked out of the running. I was under no obligation to make that disclosure, yet I did because I have heard good things about the company's character and was sure they would be reasonable. It was a circumstance that would have not affected the company (particularly as no paid time off or other benefits were even on the table), but I wanted to make sure we were on the same page regarding the time frame I was available (and to avoid "putting them out", giving them the opportunity to explain that the extended time frame was non-negotiable if that really was the case). Again, no indication was given whatsoever that this would have been an issue, and due to the nature of the employment, there is no reason they would be legally liable for discrimination had they been up-front and honest with me about declining my candidacy based on the disclosure. If anything, I feel that I made a mistake in being candid with them and given a similar opportunity, I'm not sure I would make that mistake again, which is a shame, because I hate to enter employment with less than complete honesty. However, it's unfortunately looking like that might be a necessary approach based on the fact that this is the first company I've ever interviewed with that has completely dropped all contact immediately after.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions, it was an entry-level position so there was nothing so esoteric that it couldn't be addressed through common interview preparation and a foundational knowledge of the industry.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

The process started off online, as many do. After the initial application, I was sent a survey/questionnaire to fill out. This survey had questions ranging from the usual (experience, etc.) to more vague questions such as "what is creativity to you". If that went well, you were invited to a career fair sort of interview. This was the most stressful step of the process. You were invited to spend two hours interviewing at each department with about 100 other people. (remember you are against 5,000 people). Luckily, that went well for me and I received a phone call from HR the next day. It is an extremely stressful process, but it is worth it in the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD).

Interview

First step is an informational phone interview and then an in person interview. It was very relax but it took forever to hear back. Be patient... It's worth it!! Great internship program.

Intern At Discovery Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

I originally applied online, and waited about a month before receiving a survey. After the survey I received a link to do a 4 question survey via webcam. The process was slightly awkward because I was talking to a computer, but the questions were not unexpected. Almost 2 months passed until I heard from someone on the Campus Connect team who let me know that an hiring manager wanted to interview later that day. I ended up talking to a director and vice president over the phone, and the whole process was great. Incredibly friendly, and shared a ton of information about themselves and Discovery.