Discovery Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Public Relations Intern Interview

Public Relations Intern
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – Recieved a call from HR and interviewed with them. After that, HR set up a phone interview wih my employer. A few days later she called. Interview was short and sweet, mostly asking if I could handle the demands of the job. When it was over, she said she had a few more people to interview and that she would be in touch. 10 minutes later HR called and said that I was being offered the internship. Didn't have to go in and interview at all. I had a very different interview experience than other interns did.

Very Easy Interview

Dup Tech Interview

Dup Tech
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in October 2012.

Interview Details – you interview, then you get hired later on

Silver Spring, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview with the team after speaking generally with the HR department

Interview Question – What are my favorite production companies?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Temporary/Contract Assistant Position Interview

Temporary/Contract Assistant Position
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – Applied for a temporary/contract position but the recruiter/hiring manager apparently liked my resume enough to pass it along for a different position. Was called and asked to come in to interview very quickly.

I waited in the lobby for an hour due to miscommunication between the two individuals who were coordinating my interview. The interview itself was fine and the interviewer was very pleasant. However, when I got there I was told the position could last twice as long as it had been advertised on the posting. I gave them a heads up about a circumstance that would make me unavailable for that length of time, and the interviewer indicated that wasn't an issue and continued on with the conversation.

After that, I never heard from them again. I have honestly never been to an interview where there wasn't at least follow up to say "Thanks for coming in, but we went with another candidate." I know I am a strong interviewee because on two separate occasions I have even had employers find alternate positions for me based on the strength of my resume and interview, but - again - at the very least, I have always received a heads up that they went with another candidate. I sent a follow-up email shortly after but never heard one word from either of the points of contact, which was very disappointing, particularly given their apparent initial enthusiasm and hurry to bring me in to interview.

What's most disappointing to me, however, is that I believe there is a strong possibility that my disclosure of the circumstance that would not have allowed me to work longer than the advertised time frame was what immediately got me kicked out of the running. I was under no obligation to make that disclosure, yet I did because I have heard good things about the company's character and was sure they would be reasonable. It was a circumstance that would have not affected the company (particularly as no paid time off or other benefits were even on the table), but I wanted to make sure we were on the same page regarding the time frame I was available (and to avoid "putting them out", giving them the opportunity to explain that the extended time frame was non-negotiable if that really was the case). Again, no indication was given whatsoever that this would have been an issue, and due to the nature of the employment, there is no reason they would be legally liable for discrimination had they been up-front and honest with me about declining my candidacy based on the disclosure. If anything, I feel that I made a mistake in being candid with them and given a similar opportunity, I'm not sure I would make that mistake again, which is a shame, because I hate to enter employment with less than complete honesty. However, it's unfortunately looking like that might be a necessary approach based on the fact that this is the first company I've ever interviewed with that has completely dropped all contact immediately after.

Interview Question – Standard questions, it was an entry-level position so there was nothing so esoteric that it couldn't be addressed through common interview preparation and a foundational knowledge of the industry.   Answer Question

Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2012.

Interview Details – There were many steps to the interview process, ending with a career fair like interview. I got hired a few days after so it is definitely possible.

Interview Question – All seemed pretty standard but you need to have a clear idea of what you want to do.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Digital Mdeia Intern Interview

Digital Mdeia Intern
Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Discovery Communications in March 2011.

Interview Details – Spoke with an HR person and then the hiring manager, was a really easy interview. They had pretty much decided to hire me already before even starting the interview.

Interview Question – I see you used to be a bartender, what was your specialty?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation - all interns get the same, though there is some flexibility with time

Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – First step is an informational phone interview and then an in person interview. It was very relax but it took forever to hear back. Be patient... It's worth it!! Great internship program.

Interview Question – Nothing. It was very relax.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in January 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR was surprisingly standard. She literally said, "walk me through your resume." I spoke for 20 minutes straight without her saying a word. But somehow, that was enough. I was passed on to the second round where I interviewed with the hiring manager. That interview lasted about 45 minutes. There just wasn't a connection. Seemed as if they weren't that excited about filling the position, or what was going on at the company. The mood was a combination of self-satisfaction and general resentment. Not sure I would interview there again.

Interview Question – HOnestly, they weren't that challenging. it wasn't clear what they wanted.   Answer Question

Intern At Discovery Communications Interview

Intern At Discovery Communications
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Discovery Communications in May 2013.

Interview Details – I originally applied online, and waited about a month before receiving a survey. After the survey I received a link to do a 4 question survey via webcam. The process was slightly awkward because I was talking to a computer, but the questions were not unexpected. Almost 2 months passed until I heard from someone on the Campus Connect team who let me know that an hiring manager wanted to interview later that day. I ended up talking to a director and vice president over the phone, and the whole process was great. Incredibly friendly, and shared a ton of information about themselves and Discovery.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Intern At Discovery Communications Interview

Intern At Discovery Communications
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online - interviewed at Discovery Communications in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with someone from HR and then received an email from the hiring manager to schedule a phone interview. The questions were pretty much what you would expect, nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Discovery Communications

Worked for Discovery Communications? Contribute to the Community!