Disney Cruise Vacations

disneycruise.disney.go.com

Disney Cruise Vacations Interview Questions

2.6

Youth Activities Counselor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations.

I found the ad in the American Camp Association's Year Round Jobs at Camp email blast. I emailed the @sixthstar.com representative listed.Think of them as a 'Bouncer'. They're there to make sure you're not wasting Disney's time by being stupid and uninformed. Oh, and tattooed. They're really big on not having body art. So, DO YOUR RESEARCH!

First Interview (Over Skype): She was nice and had a accent that eased me up and subconsciously reminded me to say "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am". She made sure I had actually READ the description for the job I was applying for, running over the duties and such.

"Have you read the description?"
    "Why Disney Cruise Lines?"
    "How long have you worked with children?"
    "What's the most amount of children that you've taken care of alone or with another person?"

I asked her a lot of good questions about what I'd seen online and in the description. (However I failed to ask these same questions in the second interview, which was with a completely different person, and I think that hurt me.)

She seemed to like me enough and passed me through to the next level. Yay!

Then there were a few emails:
    Sign into the Disney jobs site for the ACTUAL application for the job, and you have to fill it out BEFORE your 2nd interview.
    Sign into Disney's fancy document management system and upload a background check form. (TONS of problems with this) BEFORE your 2nd interview.
    Familiarize yourself with the Montage video interview system in preparation for your 2nd interview.
    Other steps that would have been taken after second interview: Background Check, Fingerprinting, Drug Testing, Physical Exam, and calling EVERY reference.

Second interview (using Montage): I had problems with accessing Montage with Firefox. I contacted our help representative and she suggested trying a different browser. Explorer worked. The interviewer was nice, too.

"How did you find out about this position?"
    "Why Disney Cruise Line?"
    "What do you know about/what questions do you have about life on the cruise?"
    "Do you currently work with children?"
    "What is the largest number of children you have you been in charge of alone?"
    "Have any of your previous jobs required you to use a sanitation protocol?"
    "Have any of your previous jobs required you to have a [child safety course?]?"
    "What would you do if you had a child who was causing a disturbance?"
    "What would you do if you had a child who was not wanting to participate in an activity?"
    "How would you interact with parents?
    "What would you do if you found yourself with a group of kids and some time before an activity?"

After each of my answers she said, "Perfect!" so I thought I was doing good.

"Where are you looking to go in your career?"

And there, my friends, is where I think I jumped the interview shark. My career goals (working with kids in a variety of environments) were not enough, I guess.

I received an email an hour later that said: "DCL feels that they have more qualified candidates at this time. They felt there was a lack of long term commitment."

My work history is mostly camp, and that means seasonal, which looks like close to 10 years of 3-4 months at one place and another 3-4 months somewhere else. All over the country. There was consistent employment here and there.

The experience I have makes me awesome and hit-the-ground-running skilled; this experience -since it came from so many different places- apparently makes me a flight risk.

So be prepared for that if your resume has a lot of random experience.

Interview Questions
    • "Where are you looking to go in your career?"   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Celebration, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Celebration, FL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations in September 2013.

Telephone interview was easy, they ask basic stuff about your knowledge of the ships, and your experience in the tourism industry.

Interview Questions
    • At in person interview they do a mock sales call of someone not sure of what kind of cruise they're looking for   View Answer

Assistant Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied directly via email to HR and then nothing. Recruiting is a two way street from both a candidate and potential employer perspective. As an experienced HR professional, I have built relationships with candidates that might not have been a fit at that time but either could assist in finding the perfect candidate or becoming the perfect candidate in the future. Not notifying a candidate that you aren't interested or have filled the role is just lazy and speaks volumes about the corporate culture (or lack of it).

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations in April 2010.

Skype Interview

No negotiation on salary, but you can negotiate your start date and possibly ship assignment.

GUEST COMMUNICATOR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations in April 2011.

Common practical interview questions...very straightforward

PR, Disney Cruise Lines Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations in February 2010.

Very typical interview. Started with being cleared through the Disney recruiter, then a phone call with the hiring manager and then a trip to Orlando for an inperson interview. Everyone was very friendly although it was very clear that they had someone else in mind for the position. It was very kind of them to bring me down though. Sometimes, communication with the recruiter was difficult but it is a large company and I am sure they were slammed.

Youth Activities Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations in March 2012.

Interview process done via Skype, as a way for corporate shoreside recruiting to get an idea of your personality and background with children. Many in the department have very limited child care experience and have gotten through this interview via personality alone. A big part of the interview is asking about how well one can cope with the challenges of living at sea. "Flexibility" questions refers to working long hours, or doing unpleasant duties. Additional languages may be inquired during the interview - no formal quiz/test of skill ever taken at job level. No additional value or recognition given to candidates speaking more languages than English. University/college level not necessary though it may be asked; majority of employees from United Kingdom did not hold degrees. Candidates are primarily from Canada, United States, Australia, South Africa, Mexico and Brazil and rarely from any other countries.

Best Tips for the Interview are to dress professionally in a bright, crisp outfit. Maintain a smile throughout and have hair and clothing groomed as per "Disney Look" appearance standards. Answer questions in a way that favours safety policy (Safety is #1), and guest service. Safety and Keeping Guests happy are tantamount and reinforcing this is key.

Be sure to voice interest in advancement within the company, they favour those who are inclined to take on managerial positions. Do not ask about expected salary or work hours at preliminary interviews. Saying one is a "big Disney fan" or having extensive knowledge of Disney characters & films is surprisingly not a big part of the job as many Crew Members in the department do not have large knowledge of the product.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a child begins bleeding/vomiting/having a potty accident in front of you during an activity?   View Answer
    No negotiation apart from discussing of starting dates.

Chef De Cusine Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madgaon (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madgaon (India)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations in October 2012.

is under process and 2 verbal phone interviews are through

Interview Questions
    • about the previous papers and i miss placed it   View Answer

Ordinary Seaman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations in September 2011.

they called me and asked me all my previous experiences and with a sequence of interviews with the captain Robert of disney cruise line , he finally selected meand hired me for the company. then i was given visa letter for the embasy and then went for my medical check up which was perfectly alright.

Interview Questions
    • why u want to join as a lower rank since i was a deck cadet before.to that of a o.s.   Answer Question
    i accepted all the terms and conditions with due regards to the company.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations.

3 rounds with progressive levels of bosses

Interview Questions
    the offer left nothing to negotiate

Worked for Disney Cruise Vacations? Contribute to the Community!