Disney Interactive Studios Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Disney Interactive Studios (Glendale, CA).

Interview

I applied directly on disney.com to this position. Two months later I got a frantic email from a recruiter (based out of Seattle) wanting to interview me almost immediately. I immediately returned his call and left a message, then heard nothing for two weeks. Then, I got another email wanting to urgently schedule an interview. Again, I replied and did not hear anything for two weeks. Finally, on the third try, I answered the recruiter's call and had a good conversation. He was very interested in my experience in machine learning and recommender systems but warned me that the hiring manager was very picky. A few minutes after I hung up, I got a call back saying they wanted a technical discussion, which we scheduled for the following day.

In the technical discussion I was very up front about my background in machine learning and distributed architectures. Apparently they wanted someone to come in and revamp their recommender system for Disney Interactive. The conversation went well, although I got the feeling they thought I might be a golden goose. An hour after our call I got a call back from the recruiter wanting to fly me out. By this time I had decided not to take the position and told the recruiter as much -- the Glendale location was not ideal. The recruiter suggested they could get creative and would call me back.

The next day I was told the salary was $30-40k more than I had discussed previously, that there were annual 25% bonuses and an additional first year guaranteed 25% bonus, and, oh, I could work remotely in a location more to my liking. Just fly out as soon as you can. So I flew out.

I got slaughtered in the interview. To be fair, it was mostly my fault for clamming up on the whiteboard, but at the same time I was being interviewed by future subordinates who were keen to ask me about the inner workings of matrix algebra and show me that they were already doing the job themselves. I'm not certain that all of the interviewers were on the same page about what they wanted.

In the end the recruiter told me that had interviewed 20 people over 6 months and had flown out 6 people besides myself.

Interview Questions

• Differentiate between supervised and unsupervised classification.   Answer Question
    • Diagram a distributed redundant architecture on the whiteboard.   1 Answer
    • How do you do matrix factorization for matrices that are too large to fit into memory?   Answer Question

Not Disclosed Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Disney Interactive Studios in May 2015.

Interview

Applied Online. Two weeks until first contact from HR. Asked basic questions to determine if minimum qualifications were met. profile submitted to HM. Response came two days later. Webcam interview arranged for following day. HM no show. Rescheduled for one week later. Successful in conversation. Follow up onsite interview requested for next week. HM no show, others conducted interview. HR scheduled final webcam review with out of state Senior team member for three days later.Team member no show. HR rescheduled for following day. Interview was very compelling and excitedly received, ensured followup would certainly occur shortly. Three weeks later.. still no response.

Very strong candidate, support staff coordinating had less than three months on job combined, why so little experience.. what happened to more experienced involvement, where they all laid off?

Interview Questions

Lack confidence in leadership, countless negative GD reviews all appear valid still

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Disney Interactive Studios (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

About two weeks after applying online, I received an email from a recruiter asking me to confirm a time when I could do a phone interview. The date was set for the following week and the interview was 30 minutes long. The phone interview consisted of some interesting design scenarios to analyze and pointed questions using key words that are meant to test your design knowledge. The interviewer was warm, encouraging and friendly.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Disney Interactive Studios.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call a few weeks later to schedule an in person interview. I interviewed with three different people, each interview was 30 minutes long. The interview went really well. They asked me questions in regards to my experience and I asked them questions back. A week later I received an e-mail saying I did not get the position but that I did very well and they would keep my resume in case another position opened up. A few weeks later I got another phone call from Disney recruiters about another position I might be interested in. I was given a phone interview the next day. I followed up a week later and they told me I did not get that position either. They said the other candidate had more relevant experience for the position.

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Disney Interactive Studios.

Interview

This is the SECOND time I've been stonewalled by Disney Interactive over a year.

I applied online, got an email about 2 weeks later from a recruiter asking general questions about my interest in the position and available times. I answered. She responded the next day with "Great! We'll setup an interview over the next week with the times provided, and I'll get back to you with a time."

Radio silence for two weeks. I send a nice followup email and get no response ever to be heard from again.

Its been 3 months and it still says "In-Progress" in the online disneycareers website. I wont be following up with anyone should they suddenly appear.

Interview Questions

• What times are you available?   1 Answer

Videographer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Disney Interactive Studios.

Interview

Applied online, received an inital call 2 weeks later informaing me of an interview that would be conducted the following day, with a set time they would call. I received the call, answered their questions and never heard back again.

Production Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Disney Interactive Studios.

Interview

Had a 15 minute very casual phone interview and was scheduled for an in-person interview a week later. The in-person interview was almost 2 hours with 3 separate people and was more about how we got along. They said at that point they were already confident I had the skills to do the job, now it was seeing if we would work well together.

QA Mobile Game Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Disney Interactive Studios (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Hiring Process only took about a week from application. When they need people, they hire quickly. I had a phone interview with a HR rep and then an In-person with a QA Lead. Both were pretty easy and they were friendly. HR asked about previous experience and the QA Lead asked about game testing details and past experiences testing (I'm an experienced tester).

Interview Questions

• What did you do when you encountered problems working on a team?   Answer Question

Videographer Interview

Interview

Received an initial call one week after I applied that setup a phone interview for the position. Received the interview call. Had 2 people on the line that asked a series of questions.

Systems Administrator Interview

Interview

1 phone, 1~2 onsite interviews. questions can be easy to hard, depending on who you'll bump into. they'll watch your reaction when throwing scenario to you.