Disney

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Burbank, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Disney.

Interview Details – A phone call with the manager, followed by a technical/business discussion. A bit of salary negotiation, followed by an offer.

Interview Question – I was hired for a niche expertise which they needed but didn't have. They did not ask extremely difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Lake Buena Vista, FL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Disney in July 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with development team. They asked typical tech questions..

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Disney.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for Disney Interactive Media Group (http://dimg.disneycareers.com/). I had read and heard reviews from a friend who used to work there. The Technology, Compensation, Rewards, learning and development prospects are simply excellent. I understand that the employee satisfaction ratio is pretty good too.

Interview Question – The response was quick (it was an employee referral), the Recruiter did not brief me about the role or team, but asked me talk (talk and not a interview) to the Hiring Manager the same evening for 15-20mins to get to know more about the company, team and role. And so the Hiring Manager calls me in the evening.

He does not introduce himself except for his name. The next question was, "what are you currently working on?". I explained him about my role, product, technology and some features I am working on, taking 2-3 mins. And then the firing begins.

In the next 20 to 22 mins he asks me about 35 questions! Well was it a rapid fire round?!? It was simply disgusting. He hardly had any telephone etiquette either. When I tried answer a question in detail or with an example, he often cut short me saying, "leave it" (well, I knew what I was talking).

He remarked C++ was not a Object Oriented Language. While trying to explain pros and cons of Java and C++, he cut me off and asked, "okay, then tell me the difference b/w overriding and overloading". He kept on throwing question at me just like a rapid fire round in a Quiz competition. None of them were related to DataStructures, Algorithms, Design like the regular interview question.

Midway, he asked - "Do you have any questions for me?". I thanked him for asking and told him that, I had not spoken to the recruiter and asked him to brief me about the team, technology and role. To which his response was, "We work heavily on Java. Everything is on Java a lot of it". And that is all he said....At some point I really wanted to cut the call and call it, the end. If he is a Java/J2EE guru so be him. I was not trying to get any certification here.

One of his questions goes like this..... "You have developed on Unix right. So, tell me the command to kill a process in Unix". I disliked the way the question were put or even the transition from one topic to other. In short, this was the worst interviewer I have ever spoken to in my 8+ years of Development career. And never expected it would be from Disney!

Aside: While interviewing candidates, I have always received guidelines and training from my Manager and HR on how and what to talk to an candidate. An interviewer is a representative of the Company. And in this case he was a Manager. Well, I thought the title comes with some respectable qualities and much better presentation.
  View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – I wouldn't ever want to work under such a hiring manager.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Disney in August 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews and 1 day with 4 or 5 in person interviews

Interview Question – How would you implement capturing a bit stream of input coming in from a device in Java?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Disney

Worked for Disney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Disney Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Disney employees and interview candidates.