District of Columbia School System

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrator Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at District of Columbia School System.

Interview Details – Online application followed by required response to essay questions.
Telephone interview
In-person interview with a panel of peers
In-person interview with hiring manager or senior-level administrator (deputy chief or chief of department)

Interview Question – What is the most prevalent or persistent problem causing students not to achieve in urban education systems.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotion

Teaching Assistant Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at District of Columbia School System in August 2009.

Interview Details – hiring process was short and to the piint

Program Coordinator Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at District of Columbia School System in October 2009.

Interview Details – After applying for a Project Coordinator position (salary range high 50's-low 70's), I aced a phone interview focused on this management-oriented position and was brought in to meet the head of the department and his chief of staff for an in-person interview.

Once I was seated, it was explained to me that, actually, they were trying to fill the job of a departing administrative assistant--something paying more than $20,000 LESS than the position I'd applied to, interviewed via phone, and was led to believe I was applying to in person.

EXTREMELY and deliberately misleading, disingenuous and unprofessional. This was disrespectful and a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

Central Office Lower Level Position Interview

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at District of Columbia School System in December 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with someone my age (2007 college grad who currently holds a similar position). They asked me to go over my resume & talk about how the experience had prepared me for this job. They're looking for capable people - but most importantly looking for people who are a great fit.

The next step would have been an in-person interview, and then a final hiring decision. I heard back after my phone interview in exactly one week.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled a professional situation where you had a no predecessor or example to build from?   Answer Question
  • Why would your experience prepare you for this job? (the interview really wasn't that tough...)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at District of Columbia School System.

Interview Details – Interview process is long.
If offered the position DO NOT HAND IN YOUR RESIGNATION AT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER.
4-6 month wait period between being offered the job and your start date.
Once hired your information will be confused with a dozen different candidates.
The same information will be requested 8-9 times by same or different people
High turnover rate at DCPS do not expect to talk or work with the people who interview
What ever job function or skill set is highlighted during the interview as important will NEVER be used in the course of your daily job duties. DCPS likes to keep a set of skill set so when they are audited they can claim they have professional people.

Working hard will be stressed during the interview that is a codeword for we expect you in the office by 6 am and if you leave before 8pm you are slacker.

Granted most people spend their time on youtube, facebook, personal email and looking for another job but these are all things that can be done at home.

DCPS will expect a lot from you and they will not pay you a salary to cover the basics of working for DCPS. Limited parking means you will spend hundreds of dollars per month for the joy of parking. No metro program. You will not be reimbursed for travel, if you are reimbursed it will take more than a year.

Trainings are always conducted at the most inconvenient locations ant time.

So proceed with caution if you are independently wealthy and like being punished accept the job offer.

Interview Question – Can you perform this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The negotiation was easy they made two offers I declined. They increased by $20K but they did not tell me that I was not eligible to receive a raise for the duration of my employment. So if you negotiate your salary be aware that you will not receive any raises.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for District of Columbia School System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at District of Columbia School System interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by District of Columbia School System employees and interview candidates.