Dixon Hughes Goodman

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

2.7

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dixon Hughes Goodman.

There are many good people at Dixon Hughes Goodman. They have a great structure and are a great place to work if you show that you want to climb the corporate ladder. Their client base give accountants a good base to begin a public accounting career.

Interview Questions
    • They tend to only look at the bottom line. They have a moto "people count" yet they do not focus on their people. They tend to focus on their chargeable hours and bottom line. I understand a company needs to be profitable to survive, but your employees need non-chargeable hours to research and learn about accounting laws to better serve the clients.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dixon Hughes Goodman.

I applied after seeing the internship advertised at school. After about a week, I was able to sign up for an on campus interview. At the interview, I briefly spoke with the recruiter and then met with a partner from the local office.
    The entire process was easy and the recruiter was in constant communication with me.

Interview Questions
    • It was a fairly straight forward interview. We chatted about my experience as outlined on my resume, and I asked the interviewer about his career. More than half of the interview was listening to the partner talk, which is great because it is a good chance to get a feel for people you might be work with or around.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. I felt like the offer was more than fair, and it was well over what I had requested.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dixon Hughes Goodman in October 2014.

Was recruited on-campus. The firm has a deep southern culture, with a partner on campus blurting out an Obama slur during the presentation. Not too professional. However, I accepted their offer for an on-campus interview and the follow-up office interview. Everyone was nice enough, but I was rubbed the wrong way, as if they just didn't really care too much. I kept DHG throughout the recruitment process as a back-up choice. They are fun, through great socials with heavy drinks. However, at the end of the day, the culture of the firm and the people who make up the firm weren't my top choice. I believe they felt the same way given I was not extended an offer. The interviews themselves were very standard. Mostly conversational with a few questions here and there.

Interview Questions
    • Most adventurous thing you've ever done that challenged you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dixon Hughes Goodman in October 2014.

I applied through LinkedIn, and got an email for a phone interview a week later. After the phone interview, I was asked to come to the office for an in-person interview. Since this was for an experienced hire, they are trying out a new interview style where they are requiring a 10-15 minute presentation to talk about your skills, education, background, and work history. If you're like me, this part can be very nerve-racking. However, they are very nice people and try to make you feel relaxed. After the presentation, they do a 10-15 minute Q&A to ask about what you presented.
    After the presentation, I had the interview with the Partner and Senior Auditor. They were both very nice, and made the interview laid-back and conversational. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. I did however get tripped up on a question or two because of my limited experience in the field but it wasn't a bad experience at all. Overall, the people were great and the process was easygoing.

Interview Questions
    • What are the areas of risk that you looked for when planning an audit?   Answer Question
    • What is it that makes you want to work in the public accounting?   Answer Question
    • What is it about Dixon Hughes Goodman that makes you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose accounting?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dixon Hughes Goodman.

Attained the interview through on-campus recruiting. Had dinner with employees and all the candidates the night before. The interview was very relaxed and they never asked any difficult questions. Everyone I interacted with seemed very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your favorite and least favorite thing about your last job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dixon Hughes Goodman in September 2014.

The interview process has been very long, but is expected from a big, public accounting firm. The partners interviewing were both very laid back and relaxed, which to me is something I have not seen in corporate or public accounting to this day. That instantly turned me on to DHG. After further talking and interviewing with them, I came to know that the company is all about business, making sure their quality of life within the firm is way above average, and that employees stay educated and maintain the most knowledge possible for their respective specializations.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question related to the audit process and how I would be interacting with not only US GAAP, but potentially other accounting reporting standards.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

I applied to interview on campus. There was a dinner the night before the interviews for selected students. The interview was very easy, but it was hard to tell how it went. The interviewer mostly wanted me to ask him questions about the firm. It sounded like there were not many positions available in the Tyson's office. Everyone I met from the firm from the recruiter, partner, first year associate, were all extremely friendly.

IT Advisory Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dixon Hughes Goodman.

Was initially contacted by a recruiter out of the Atlanta office via email. Set up a time to speak and perform a phone screen. The phone screen was with the same recruiter that initially contacted me. After the phone screen, I was invited to come into the Atlanta office for a half-day visit and interview with 5 individuals. A few days prior to the half-day visit, I was asked to prepare a 10-15 minute presentation about myself so that I could begin the half-day visit with the presentation to all of the people I was to interview with. On the day of the visit, I completed the presentation, then met with a Director and a Manager at the same time, then a Senior Manager and another Manager, all while being shepherded through the process by the recruiter. I was to interview with the Partner as well, but that had to be postponed due to client commitments. I received positive feedback from my recruiter following the half-day visit, and was invited to return a few days later to meet with the partner and have lunch with two members of the practice. I enjoyed everyone I met with during the first office visit, despite the recruiter seeming disinterested. I continued in the process and returned for the second visit to have lunch with a Senior Associate and Associate in the practice and meet with the Partner. The lunch was a bit awkward, but the Associate seemed friendly. The meeting with the Partner was one of the best interviews I've had with a leader of a practice/office/firm. As before, the recruiter seemed disinterested but shepherded me through the process. I was called after a long weekend and was told that they were moving forward with other candidates. I was completely surprised and told that I was over-confident.

Interview Questions
    • Are you happy with doing audit support?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Was recruited on campus, interviewed with the office managing partner, was a great and simple interview, very easy to talk too and enjoyed the entire process, night before interview was a great dinner and happy hour

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, more of a personal conversation   Answer Question
    simple

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dixon Hughes Goodman in June 2014.

Very informal and conversational. General behavioral questions and friendly. Had an hour breakfast interview followed by two half hour one on ones. Was a good experience talking to them and encouraged me to do better.