Dolby

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.9

Customer Support Specialist Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dolby.

The interview process was a bit extensive. Started with a couple of phone screens, in person with about 5 differ team members/managers, and finally one last in person with a higher up.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be open to cover weekend support.   View Answer

Embedded Software Engineer - Video Codec Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dolby in February 2015.

Had phone screening with the manager. The background noise of driving car was horrible, I could not hear 80% what was asked or said. Then driving background noise turned into children noise, looks like the interviewer was picking up his kids from day care. Quite negative experience and unprofessional. I would understand if interviewer would ask to re-schedule.

Interview Questions
    • TS stream organization;
      volatile keyword use;
      Memory layout for the process taking 4GB of virtual memory, 32-bit processor under linux OS. (Google the layout :):))
      Mutex/semapohore differences
      Any experience with other video containers, GPU programming CUDA, OpenCL, OpenGL, OpenMax framefork;
      Tell about your background, experience

Answer Question

Dolby Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dolby.

The secretary will contact you if your CV is good, and set up a phone interview with the technology manager who planed to hire you. The interview process take about 45 - 60 minutes. The voice is not easy to follow, he make basic questions from your CV, and then go deeply into the main topics that are looking for internship position. For me, mainly about compression - motion estimation, motion compensation.

Interview Questions
    • Numerous questions about video compression. For example, what is the difference between motion estimation and motion compensation? what is the ration 4:2:2, 4:2:0 mean?   Answer Question

Software Engineer () Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dolby.

Firstly, they called me and asked some question about my Ph.D. research. One week later, they invited me to have an on-site interview. The onsite interview questions include bit operation, memory allocation, some very detailed knowledge of C++, some design question, multithread, and video codec knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • Some very detailed knowledge about video codec standard and multithread   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

HR contact me thru LinkedIn message. After speaking with HR on the phone, an OnSite interview was scheduled. The onsite interview is totally 6 HR. I spoke with 3 Engineers, QA, PM and HR. Most of the interviewer just asked about your background and briefly talking about the work on Dolby. Technical question are about basically C/C++ problem.

Community Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dolby in October 2014.

Was contacted by a Recruiter a few days after applying for the position. Initial HR call was short and sweet, and was contacted immediately after for a call with the Hiring Manager. Hiring Manager was sweet and easy to talk to. HR was very prompt with scheduling interviews (phone and in person), and about a week and a half after call with HM, I was seen for a in-person interview with Hiring Manager, Communications Associate and my Recruiter. After a week and a half, I was notified via email that they had offered the position to another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider some of your duties to be within the first 30 days?   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dolby.

I had heard similar comments/reviews on GlassDoor that the Mktg team seems to have interviews just for the sake of having them. The interview process took ~ 3 weeks from initial HR call to hearing back that they are moving in a different direction. During the main interview process (met 4-5 people, incl. hiring mgr), I got a sense that the x-funct folks interviewing me didn't actually know what direction the Mktg team would be moving towards. I walked away not feeling confident about my potential teammates, let alone the company, and am relieved that they I didn't move onto the the 3rd round.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think makes a person successful at Dolby?   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Detailed, methodical, multiple rounds (with the same people), considerate of time (aware), clear on what they were looking for, all persons understood the job and took the time to partner in the process.

Marketing Manager Interview

About 16 interviews, most of them meant nothing with the job because most did not understand the industry.
    A few questions were very focused on internal processes and how to work with the team.

Build and Release Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dolby in June 2014.

An outside recruiter contacted me, did a phone interview, then refer me to an inside Dolby HR/talent scout who did another phone interview, then scheduled a 45 minutes with the hiring manager.

My conversation with the two people within Dolby (both the inside HR and the hiring manager) left me with a bad impression of the company. It may not be fair, but that's just the vibe I received from their tone and always suspicious questions.

Actually, after hanging up (in a not so good terms) with the hiring manager, I searched my email, and found that they are always looking for people for this role. Looks like a high turnover position. As a matter of fact, my email showed that I tangled with a different inside HR one time several years back, and as far as I can tell from the email, she did not call back when she promised to, and that was the end of it. Same with what the hiring manager did this time.

Interview Questions
    • How to start the build from command line. Registry stuff, source control, build scripts stuff, system administrator stuff from the command line, etc..   Answer Question