Dolby

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Build and Release Engineer Interview

Build and Release Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dolby in June 2014.

Interview Details – An outside recruiter contacted me, did a phone interview, then refer me to an inside Dolby HR/talent scout who did another phone interview, then scheduled a 45 minutes with the hiring manager.

My conversation with the two people within Dolby (both the inside HR and the hiring manager) left me with a bad impression of the company. It may not be fair, but that's just the vibe I received from their tone and always suspicious questions.

Actually, after hanging up (in a not so good terms) with the hiring manager, I searched my email, and found that they are always looking for people for this role. Looks like a high turnover position. As a matter of fact, my email showed that I tangled with a different inside HR one time several years back, and as far as I can tell from the email, she did not call back when she promised to, and that was the end of it. Same with what the hiring manager did this time.

Interview Question – How to start the build from command line. Registry stuff, source control, build scripts stuff, system administrator stuff from the command line, etc..   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

Interviewed at Dolby

Interview Details – About 16 interviews, most of them meant nothing with the job because most did not understand the industry.
A few questions were very focused on internal processes and how to work with the team.

Patent Licensing Biz Development Interview

Patent Licensing Biz Development
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dolby in February 2013.

Interview Details – answered a posting on web site, sent the resume and cover letter, than followed up over 10 days with various emails. It seems that this organization is an aquisition and many of the key people are in europe. Not a core Dolby tech competency, but patent licensing seeems to be an area they are doing well with.

Interview Question – I didn't get a very specific question. It seemed that they were not interested or impressed with experience that is indirectly useful. seeems they were looking for someone who had done exact thing before or a connection from within.   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dolby in August 2010.

Interview Details – 30 minutes with about 10 people on four different days, spread out over 3 weeks.

Interview Question – routine questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offered rate was above market average

Software Engineer (Design Engineer) Interview

Software Engineer (Design Engineer)
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dolby in March 2013.

Interview Details – Mostly phone interviews, On sight interview, talked with HR, very smooth and easy process. Gave many heart attacks because you wouldn't hear back for two weeks at a time. The whole process was easy but took about 2 months.

Interview Question – What product at Dolby would you improve and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No I did not negotiate.

Product Strategy Manager Interview

Product Strategy Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dolby.

Interview Details – 4 Interviews. With Directors of product, business development and Marketing. Also interviewed with 2 VPs.

Interview Question – Interview was traditional   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate and would encourage other candidates to do so.

Embedded Systems Engineer Interview

Embedded Systems Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Dolby.

Interview Details – This interview is part of the selection for the Advanced Imaging Group at Dolby.

It's an online selection process which asks a case based question in order to evaluate fit and capabilities. Very unique approach which allowed me to showcase myself without the limitations of my CV.

Very transparent process, where is question is posted by the hiring manager who I'd be working with and my answer will be evaluated purely on performance too as the first filter.

It felt like an in person interview, but a lot more relaxed with room think through the problem thoroughly.

CODEC QA Test Interview

CODEC QA Test

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dolby in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was a 1 hour phone interview. The interview scheduling was done in the week prior to the interview. The interviewer was friendly and asked questions related to the domain.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual. Asked encoding-decoding of video in depth. Asked about coding skills in C/C++ and Python.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Product Manager - Strategy Interview

Product Manager - Strategy
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Dolby in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a screening interview in a few days. Went downhill from there. Multiple rounds of interviews arranged haphazardly with very little feedback. Decision making by committee. I would recommend staying away from this company. See other reviews. Don't think they are really interested in hiring.

Interview Question – Why Dolby?   Answer Question

Events Producer Interview

Events Producer
Burbank, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dolby in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and 3 weeks later received a phone call for a phone screener, made it to the next round and we set up a time to speak to the hiring manager. The hiring manager never called at said time. After 30 minutes of waiting I emailed the recruiting coordinator to verify the time and within 5 minutes the manager called me. She told me about the job but asked very few questions about me, my qualifications and nothing about what I can bring to the job. I was called after the phone conversation about coming in for an in person interview. Set it up for 2 days after for 11am. At 9:45, I received an email from the coordinator saying she was pulled into a last minute meeting and needed to reschedule. So, we rescheduled for the next day. I met the hiring manager in person, had a decent conversation. I spoke to the coordinator after the meeting as she wanted to set up a trip to HQ in SF for the following Monday. I provide her all my details (formal name, preferred airport/airline, etc) and I was to 'await confirmation and travel itinerary' but you are 'on the calendar'. So I ask for the day off, make kid arrangements, etc. and wait, and wait and wait until Friday at 4:30pm to follow up with another coordinator since the one I knew wasn't responding to me. Fast forward to 8:30pm at night getting an email saying they've moved forward with another candidate and I wouldn't be making 'the scheduled trip'. Very poor recruiting process and the lack of communication and rescheduling shows disorganization.
I tried to ignore the Glass Door reviews when I first was interviewing but obviously my experience speaks volumes to the way things are handled at Dolby.

Interview Question – What would you do if an Dolby Executive accidentally their Academy Awards ticket at home and you were on the 5th level of the theater?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dolby

Worked for Dolby? Contribute to the Community!