Dolby Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014

2.9

Senior Program Manager, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dolby.

I had heard similar comments/reviews on GlassDoor that the Mktg team seems to have interviews just for the sake of having them. The interview process took ~ 3 weeks from initial HR call to hearing back that they are moving in a different direction. During the main interview process (met 4-5 people, incl. hiring mgr), I got a sense that the x-funct folks interviewing me didn't actually know what direction the Mktg team would be moving towards. I walked away not feeling confident about my potential teammates, let alone the company, and am relieved that they I didn't move onto the the 3rd round.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think makes a person successful at Dolby?   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Detailed, methodical, multiple rounds (with the same people), considerate of time (aware), clear on what they were looking for, all persons understood the job and took the time to partner in the process.

Build and Release Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dolby in June 2014.

An outside recruiter contacted me, did a phone interview, then refer me to an inside Dolby HR/talent scout who did another phone interview, then scheduled a 45 minutes with the hiring manager.

My conversation with the two people within Dolby (both the inside HR and the hiring manager) left me with a bad impression of the company. It may not be fair, but that's just the vibe I received from their tone and always suspicious questions.

Actually, after hanging up (in a not so good terms) with the hiring manager, I searched my email, and found that they are always looking for people for this role. Looks like a high turnover position. As a matter of fact, my email showed that I tangled with a different inside HR one time several years back, and as far as I can tell from the email, she did not call back when she promised to, and that was the end of it. Same with what the hiring manager did this time.

Interview Questions
    • How to start the build from command line. Registry stuff, source control, build scripts stuff, system administrator stuff from the command line, etc..   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

About 16 interviews, most of them meant nothing with the job because most did not understand the industry.
    A few questions were very focused on internal processes and how to work with the team.

Patent Licensing Biz Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dolby in February 2013.

answered a posting on web site, sent the resume and cover letter, than followed up over 10 days with various emails. It seems that this organization is an aquisition and many of the key people are in europe. Not a core Dolby tech competency, but patent licensing seeems to be an area they are doing well with.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't get a very specific question. It seemed that they were not interested or impressed with experience that is indirectly useful. seeems they were looking for someone who had done exact thing before or a connection from within.   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dolby in August 2010.

30 minutes with about 10 people on four different days, spread out over 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    The offered rate was above market average

Software Engineer (Design Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dolby in March 2013.

Mostly phone interviews, On sight interview, talked with HR, very smooth and easy process. Gave many heart attacks because you wouldn't hear back for two weeks at a time. The whole process was easy but took about 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • What product at Dolby would you improve and why?   View Answer
    No I did not negotiate.

Product Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dolby.

4 Interviews. With Directors of product, business development and Marketing. Also interviewed with 2 VPs.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate and would encourage other candidates to do so.

Embedded Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Dolby.

This interview is part of the selection for the Advanced Imaging Group at Dolby.

It's an online selection process which asks a case based question in order to evaluate fit and capabilities. Very unique approach which allowed me to showcase myself without the limitations of my CV.

Very transparent process, where is question is posted by the hiring manager who I'd be working with and my answer will be evaluated purely on performance too as the first filter.

It felt like an in person interview, but a lot more relaxed with room think through the problem thoroughly.

CODEC QA Test Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dolby in January 2014.

It was a 1 hour phone interview. The interview scheduling was done in the week prior to the interview. The interviewer was friendly and asked questions related to the domain.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual. Asked encoding-decoding of video in depth. Asked about coding skills in C/C++ and Python.   Answer Question

Worked for Dolby? Contribute to the Community!