Dolby

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dolby in August 2010.

Interview Details – 30 minutes with about 10 people on four different days, spread out over 3 weeks.

Interview Question – routine questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offered rate was above market average

Software Engineer (Design Engineer) Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dolby in March 2013.

Interview Details – Mostly phone interviews, On sight interview, talked with HR, very smooth and easy process. Gave many heart attacks because you wouldn't hear back for two weeks at a time. The whole process was easy but took about 2 months.

Interview Question – What product at Dolby would you improve and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No I did not negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Product Manager - Strategy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Dolby in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a screening interview in a few days. Went downhill from there. Multiple rounds of interviews arranged haphazardly with very little feedback. Decision making by committee. I would recommend staying away from this company. See other reviews. Don't think they are really interested in hiring.

Interview Question – Why Dolby?   Answer Question

Staffing Coordinator Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Dolby.

Interview Details – Received initial contact from recruiter asking to set up a time for a phone screen. Set up a time mid-day for the following week. Did not receive a call from the recruiter at the agreed upon time. Three days later received an email profusely apologizing, saying that it's been a crazy week for her, and if we could reschedule. Set-up a time for the following Monday at the same time. Again I was stood up by the same recruiter.

I was already skeptical about the position after reading some of the lukewarm reviews on this sight. This interview experience definitely reaffirmed what I was already thinking.

Interview Question – What time are you available for a phone screen?   Answer Question

Director Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dolby in June 2010.

Interview Details – Individual interviews with a broad range of middle managers.

Interview Question – How will you do with working with little marketing budget?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Painless

Staff Engineer Interview

Staff Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Dolby.

Interview Details – The recruiter at Dolby found me on LinkedIn and contacted me. He scheduled a non-technical call to me first asking me about what kind of job I want to work with. Then he quickly contacted another technical recruiter to schedule an 60 minute phone interview few days later after. Which was followed by an onsite interview with 7 people (Hiring manager, marketing director and few engineers)

The questions were combination of classical software development, signal processing and and C programming. The employees were courteous and the interview seemed like an discussion. They were interested in understanding the approach I was taking and the reasoning behind it rather than the solution itself - which I appreciated.

I was impressed by their work environment - most people in the company have been there for 10+ years, most researchers have been with dolby for 20+ years.

Interview Question – What is the most technically challenging problem you have worked on ? If you had a clean slate how would you do it again   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Would have loved to work in the company but I had to stay in LA for personal reasons. Hopefully I would be able to sort the personal issues out soon.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dolby in September 2009.

Interview Details – I was brought in on two occasions, months apart. The first time I interviewed with a manager in another country via Skype. My second interview was with a senior staffer in the local San Francisco office. The staffer appeared to understand little about why I was there, the job for which I was interviewing, or my background. The interview was frustrating, and didn't go well.

The second time, months later, was not difficult. I had substantial audio knowledge, which certainly helps (but is not required). I was asked to answer a business case question, and given a week to do it. I prepared a multi-slide presentation backed with research and strategic analysis.

Interview Question – I was asked to analyze a specific potential customer, and explain in detail why the customer would be interested in Dolby technology. Essentially this was my assessment of the customer's status in a particular product category, along with my expectations of their internal discussion and pain points. The second half of the presentation listed the products Dolby could offer, and how to message the value in ways which might resonate with the customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I simply told the recruiter my previous salary, and they matched it. I was surprised and happy with the ease of the negotiation.

Home Theatre Systems Engineer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dolby in February 2013.

Interview Details – Talk with recruiter,initial phonescreen with Hiring Manager,another technical phonescreen on collab edit with a questions about stacks,and exchanging values without a temp and then flown out to SF office

Interview Question – A lot of questions on previous background. DSP basics and they will ask you to come up with block diagrams of AVR systems even if you dont know everything just to check your thinking approach.
A lot of questions about perceptual coding,ac3 and dolby proprietary stuff,it will be good to know them but they understand that you may not know everything.

Really nice experience,really professional and a great bunch of people. Company looks awesome,good culture and very good interview process
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – i got better offer

Senior Program Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dolby.

Interview Details – Head hunter reached out to me. Manager phone screen. Onsite interviews with lunch. Went well. Then supposedly passed on for another candidate.

Upon digging deeper, was told by the sourcer that the team was playing games with its candidates (i wasn't the first nor the last). The PM team wasn't looking to fill an actual req. but making a statement to upper management. Some pollitics. One of the lower level PMs even cited that I was interviewed before there several times and it was awkward for him. This was my first time ever stepping into the Dolby building. Wow. Lies. Really?

Avoid this company at all costs. Horrible practices. Horrible ethics. And what products do they really have? Old licenses are the only thing keeping them afloat; for now.

Interview Question – none. it was cake.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dolby in March 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Dolby Labs in March, 2012.

The job was originally posted as a "Jr. Data Analyst," but what Dolby was looking for was a Project Manager.

The Data Analyst position, I had "down cold." Briefly, they needed someone who would review data for duplicates, enter new data, create error reports and follow up on the errors. I believe from the interview, they were getting ready to enlist with Salesforce, which, I think, would be great for Dolby and I told them so.

I was wondering why the guy I was interviewing with was asking some Project Management questions. Well, I found out! Two days after the interview, I get this "canned" e-mail from the recruiter (didn't even have the respect to write me personally!) saying, " . . . they are going with another candidate."

The guy at Dolby was a nice guy and I missed out, I think, on a good opportunity because of a recruiter's faux pas'.

Needless to say, if Talent Merchants calls, watch them carefully and make sure they and YOU are on the same page about what you are interviewing for.

Interview Question – What projects have I handled and what was there outcome, i.e. on-time, over-budget, etc.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Dolby? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dolby interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dolby employees and interview candidates.