Dolby

Updated Dec 12, 2014

3.1

Community Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dolby in October 2014.

Was contacted by a Recruiter a few days after applying for the position. Initial HR call was short and sweet, and was contacted immediately after for a call with the Hiring Manager. Hiring Manager was sweet and easy to talk to. HR was very prompt with scheduling interviews (phone and in person), and about a week and a half after call with HM, I was seen for a in-person interview with Hiring Manager, Communications Associate and my Recruiter. After a week and a half, I was notified via email that they had offered the position to another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider some of your duties to be within the first 30 days?   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dolby.

I had heard similar comments/reviews on GlassDoor that the Mktg team seems to have interviews just for the sake of having them. The interview process took ~ 3 weeks from initial HR call to hearing back that they are moving in a different direction. During the main interview process (met 4-5 people, incl. hiring mgr), I got a sense that the x-funct folks interviewing me didn't actually know what direction the Mktg team would be moving towards. I walked away not feeling confident about my potential teammates, let alone the company, and am relieved that they I didn't move onto the the 3rd round.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think makes a person successful at Dolby?   View Answer

Senior Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dolby in March 2014.

I had applied for and interviewed for two separate jobs, many months apart. Both experiences were marked by poor, intermittent and confusing communication. Recruiters had no idea what jobs I was applying for, did no research on me in advance, no idea about internal connection I might have.

Started with screening phone interview by recruiter, then phone interview with hiring manager. Third round was a series of in-person interviews with hiring manager and a stream of people who I'd interact with heavily in the possible role.

In person interviews were interesting, good conversations. Questions were not terribly difficult. A lot of the questions were pointed at determining if I understood the scope of the role, the differences with my previous positions, and sussing out whether I was truly interested in the job.

Follow up was non-existent. I had to continually ask for updates on progress. Months went by and I assumed they'd hired someone else. I was told they had not and were still considering me.

Even later on, I received a form email rejection that referred to a position I hadn't even applied for. When I emailed for clarification, they said they'd downgraded the role and that I was too senior for it and they went with someone else.

Overall a pretty poor experience and I wouldn't apply for a job there again.

Product Manager - Strategy Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Dolby in November 2013.

Applied online and got a screening interview in a few days. Went downhill from there. Multiple rounds of interviews arranged haphazardly with very little feedback. Decision making by committee. I would recommend staying away from this company. See other reviews. Don't think they are really interested in hiring.

Staffing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Dolby.

Received initial contact from recruiter asking to set up a time for a phone screen. Set up a time mid-day for the following week. Did not receive a call from the recruiter at the agreed upon time. Three days later received an email profusely apologizing, saying that it's been a crazy week for her, and if we could reschedule. Set-up a time for the following Monday at the same time. Again I was stood up by the same recruiter.

I was already skeptical about the position after reading some of the lukewarm reviews on this sight. This interview experience definitely reaffirmed what I was already thinking.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dolby.

The recruiter at Dolby found me on LinkedIn and contacted me. He scheduled a non-technical call to me first asking me about what kind of job I want to work with. Then he quickly contacted another technical recruiter to schedule an 60 minute phone interview few days later after. Which was followed by an onsite interview with 7 people (Hiring manager, marketing director and few engineers)

The questions were combination of classical software development, signal processing and and C programming. The employees were courteous and the interview seemed like an discussion. They were interested in understanding the approach I was taking and the reasoning behind it rather than the solution itself - which I appreciated.

I was impressed by their work environment - most people in the company have been there for 10+ years, most researchers have been with dolby for 20+ years.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most technically challenging problem you have worked on ? If you had a clean slate how would you do it again   Answer Question

Would have loved to work in the company but I had to stay in LA for personal reasons. Hopefully I would be able to sort the personal issues out soon.

Software Engineer (Design Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dolby in March 2013.

Mostly phone interviews, On sight interview, talked with HR, very smooth and easy process. Gave many heart attacks because you wouldn't hear back for two weeks at a time. The whole process was easy but took about 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • What product at Dolby would you improve and why?   View Answer
    No I did not negotiate.

Patent Licensing Biz Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dolby in February 2013.

answered a posting on web site, sent the resume and cover letter, than followed up over 10 days with various emails. It seems that this organization is an aquisition and many of the key people are in europe. Not a core Dolby tech competency, but patent licensing seeems to be an area they are doing well with.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't get a very specific question. It seemed that they were not interested or impressed with experience that is indirectly useful. seeems they were looking for someone who had done exact thing before or a connection from within.   View Answer

Home Theatre Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dolby in February 2013.

Talk with recruiter,initial phonescreen with Hiring Manager,another technical phonescreen on collab edit with a questions about stacks,and exchanging values without a temp and then flown out to SF office

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions on previous background. DSP basics and they will ask you to come up with block diagrams of AVR systems even if you dont know everything just to check your thinking approach.
      A lot of questions about perceptual coding,ac3 and dolby proprietary stuff,it will be good to know them but they understand that you may not know everything.

Really nice experience,really professional and a great bunch of people. Company looks awesome,good culture and very good interview process

Answer Question

i got better offer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dolby.

Head hunter reached out to me. Manager phone screen. Onsite interviews with lunch. Went well. Then supposedly passed on for another candidate.

Upon digging deeper, was told by the sourcer that the team was playing games with its candidates (i wasn't the first nor the last). The PM team wasn't looking to fill an actual req. but making a statement to upper management. Some pollitics. One of the lower level PMs even cited that I was interviewed before there several times and it was awkward for him. This was my first time ever stepping into the Dolby building. Wow. Lies. Really?

Avoid this company at all costs. Horrible practices. Horrible ethics. And what products do they really have? Old licenses are the only thing keeping them afloat; for now.