Dolby Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 10, 2015

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It consisted of three rounds of interviews including the initial phone screen with the Recruiter, the one-on-one with the hiring manager as well as the interview panel. Everything went pretty smoothly and things moved along in a timely manner. I was kept updated on the process and I received an offer within a month from the first interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no offer negotiation

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Within 2-3 weeks of applying online received a call from the HR. Had a good conversation and then he setup a phone screen with the hiring manager. The interview went OK, Even though matching almost all the job requirement I felt they were looking for a perfect candidate and they are willing to spend time to do this. The hiring didn't have any urgency.

Interview Questions

• How would you monetize the Dolby Services.   1 Answer

Community Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by a Recruiter a few days after applying for the position. Initial HR call was short and sweet, and was contacted immediately after for a call with the Hiring Manager. Hiring Manager was sweet and easy to talk to. HR was very prompt with scheduling interviews (phone and in person), and about a week and a half after call with HM, I was seen for a in-person interview with Hiring Manager, Communications Associate and my Recruiter. After a week and a half, I was notified via email that they had offered the position to another candidate.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider some of your duties to be within the first 30 days?   Answer Question

Marketing and Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I finished 3 interview over the phone. 3 Interview in the office. They have a very diverse team. The people I have met during the interview process are Germans, French, Asian Americans...I kinda like it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work at @@@company.   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had heard similar comments/reviews on GlassDoor that the Mktg team seems to have interviews just for the sake of having them. The interview process took ~ 3 weeks from initial HR call to hearing back that they are moving in a different direction. During the main interview process (met 4-5 people, incl. hiring mgr), I got a sense that the x-funct folks interviewing me didn't actually know what direction the Mktg team would be moving towards. I walked away not feeling confident about my potential teammates, let alone the company, and am relieved that they I didn't move onto the the 3rd round.

Interview Questions

• What do you think makes a person successful at Dolby?   1 Answer

Senior Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I had applied for and interviewed for two separate jobs, many months apart. Both experiences were marked by poor, intermittent and confusing communication. Recruiters had no idea what jobs I was applying for, did no research on me in advance, no idea about internal connection I might have. Started with screening phone interview by recruiter, then phone interview with hiring manager. Third round was a series of in-person interviews with hiring manager and a stream of people who I'd interact with heavily in the possible role. In person interviews were interesting, good conversations. Questions were not terribly difficult. A lot of the questions were pointed at determining if I understood the scope of the role, the differences with my previous positions, and sussing out whether I was truly interested in the job. Follow up was non-existent. I had to continually ask for updates on progress. Months went by and I assumed they'd hired someone else. I was told they had not and were still considering me. Even later on, I received a form email rejection that referred to a position I hadn't even applied for. When I emailed for clarification, they said they'd downgraded the role and that I was too senior for it and they went with someone else. Overall a pretty poor experience and I wouldn't apply for a job there again.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were soft balls.   1 Answer

Product Manager - Strategy Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online and got a screening interview in a few days. Went downhill from there. Multiple rounds of interviews arranged haphazardly with very little feedback. Decision making by committee. I would recommend staying away from this company. See other reviews. Don't think they are really interested in hiring.

Staffing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Received initial contact from recruiter asking to set up a time for a phone screen. Set up a time mid-day for the following week. Did not receive a call from the recruiter at the agreed upon time. Three days later received an email profusely apologizing, saying that it's been a crazy week for her, and if we could reschedule. Set-up a time for the following Monday at the same time. Again I was stood up by the same recruiter. I was already skeptical about the position after reading some of the lukewarm reviews on this sight. This interview experience definitely reaffirmed what I was already thinking.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiter at Dolby found me on LinkedIn and contacted me. He scheduled a non-technical call to me first asking me about what kind of job I want to work with. Then he quickly contacted another technical recruiter to schedule an 60 minute phone interview few days later after. Which was followed by an onsite interview with 7 people (Hiring manager, marketing director and few engineers) The questions were combination of classical software development, signal processing and and C programming. The employees were courteous and the interview seemed like an discussion. They were interested in understanding the approach I was taking and the reasoning behind it rather than the solution itself - which I appreciated. I was impressed by their work environment - most people in the company have been there for 10+ years, most researchers have been with dolby for 20+ years.

Interview Questions

• What is the most technically challenging problem you have worked on ? If you had a clean slate how would you do it again   Answer Question

Would have loved to work in the company but I had to stay in LA for personal reasons. Hopefully I would be able to sort the personal issues out soon.

Software Engineer (Design Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Mostly phone interviews, On sight interview, talked with HR, very smooth and easy process. Gave many heart attacks because you wouldn't hear back for two weeks at a time. The whole process was easy but took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• What product at Dolby would you improve and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No I did not negotiate.