Dollar General Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2015

1.7

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

The manager asked me to describe myself to her and where I saw myself in 5 years.I told her I wanted to be in the Management and work my way up. This seemed to really please her and she said that was what she was waiting to hear.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar General

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar General (Miami, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

One interview with the district manager and her was very nice and very easy to talk too was a great the dm was very understanding and very smart man to hire me

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to be employed here   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dollar General (Bloomington, IN) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was not anything special. The employer just asked for my SSN and when can I start. He saw I had the credentials and pretty much hired me on the spot. I do not even remember be really interviewed. Dollar General pretty much hires quickly because they do not hire enough people as is to help them run the store so when person leaves they hire asap to fill the position.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to start?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General (Worcester, MA).

Interview

Applications online only, slightly confusing online application process, ridiculous assessment test. I don't know what they think they're learning about applicants with the questions they ask. Slow turnaround. Very quick and easy interview process.

Interview Questions

• no difficult or unexpected questions. key holder applicants must pass a drug test. that seems like the most difficult aspect for most applicants lol.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General (Lawton, OK) in May 2014.

Interview

It takes about two weeks. First you apply online, answer the assessment test, then two days later, I got called for face-to-face interview with SM. Then, got called again, and offered me the job. Next day, I receive the new hire packet or express hiring packet. I filled it out online, took the drug test the same day, and they did my background check. I waited another week and got the job since I passed the drug test and background check. Showed up at the store to fill out paperwork and do training modules. It took two weeks altogether.

Interview Questions

• None. Questions are simple such as define integrity, what is dependable means to you, what is customer service, how do you handle difficult customer. Mostly, the SM talks about what the job description and responsibility and how important to minimize "shrink" or loss in the store. The SM is very friendly, enthusiasic, and knowledgeable.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, it was on the hiring packet that the pay is 10.00 an hour/ full-time.

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General (Wilmington, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied and received a phone call about coming in for the interview. No question were asked she just told me about the expectations, and she was very friendly. Talked about the company and everything that I would be doing. I was then suppose to receive a call from the DM but he never called. A week later she called and asked if I was still interested and I told her yes. She told me I would be receiving an email that same day about my hiring packet and everything would be done online. I never received the email so three days later she call me back to follow up, and I told her I never received it. I finally got the email and it tells you how much you will be getting paid all online. The pay was only $8.35 so I decided not to go any further with the hiring process.

Interview Questions

Too much work for so little pay it was only going to be $8.35 an hour and I was not going to take a pay cut for that amount.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Once I finally got hold of the DM, the interview only took a half hour.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if I caught an employee stealing or if I was told an employee was stealing.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation is difficult due to the DM's already have a salary in mind for the position being applied for.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

applied online and heard back within a week

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview was brief but complete and the follow up was even shorter. I had to track down the District Manager past the date he gave me regarding the hiring status. Worse, it was over the weekend and I didn't feel comfortable calling then, so the wait was 72 hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't one. I was told flatly that it was non-negotiable.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar General in October 2013.

Interview

Step-by-step:

1) Submitted an online application, cover letter, and resume.
    2) Did an application questionnaire - took over an hour, very very long.
    3) Received a call from a Regional Manager later that day.
    4) Received a call from a District Manager the following day.
    5) Met with store manager and district manager two days later. District manager was drunk and store manager had wrinkled and dirty inside-out clothes on. Both were more than 20 minutes late to the interview.
    6) Was NOT asked any questions.
    7) Was told of some job duties and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• There were no interview questions at all. It was very confusing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't one. I came dressed in a skirt suit, about 6 times nicer clothes than what both the DM and SM were wearing. The DM told me she usually starts ASM at $8.50/hour but since I was so well-prepared (on time and dressed professionally) she started me at $10.00/hr.