Dollar General Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

1.9

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Did my application on Friday, got a call on Monday to come in on a Tuesday at 2pm.. I met the manager he was pretty nice and cool! He asked me about my availability, my retail experience & he basically told me that I was hired, but the human resources had to review my application and that they would send me my hourly wage based on my experience and that I would get the rest of the hiring packet in my email & if I pass my background check he will give me a call back.. The hiring process basically takes 2-3 weeks

Interview Questions

• Do I mind having to work a lot of hours?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

I interviewed at a store that was established for a position at a store still being put together. Interview was brief and to the point. Interviewer was a sincere and accomplished manager. The interviewer was the manager that I would be working for if hired which was a plus because I got to gauge whether or not we had professional chemistry.

Interview Questions

• Why do yo want to work for dollar general?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar General (Wichita, KS).

Interview

I did not have an interview process. I had a friend that worked there who referred me to the manager. I went and spoke to the manager while she was working. A few days later, she put me on the schedule.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Brought me in for a interview and hired me on the spot. It was pretty straight forward. Easiest interview I think I've ever had. He asked if I was okay with minimum wage and I said yes. I don't know what else to say but glassdoor says I need to have a 50 word minimum. I like pies.

Temporary Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General (Tampa, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Only 2 questions. The interviewers did most of the talking. Explained what the job requirements were. A new store is being built and they are needing people to help setup the new store after which viewing all temp workers will then decide which of the temp employees to keep as full time staff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dollar General (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

I showed up dressed business casual(-ish) and waited for about 15 minutes for the manager to be ready. Sat me down and asked a few easy, generic interview questions that came from the corporate hiring packet. Then started talking about hours, pay rate, and I knew I had the job. Didn't take long and no stress.

Interview Questions

• What is your definition of customer service   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

First there was an online application, then an in person discussion, then a variety of tests on their website, then another in person discussion, a series of background checks, and another in person discussion. I assumed the process to make minimum wage for an additional part time job would take a few days maybe even a week, but the entire process took almost a month!

Interview Questions

• They asked about my level of availability because I have children.   Answer Question

Dollar General Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Called me for interview. Basically went in asked me if I would like to work mornings or night shirt told me what she needs. Giving job immediately. Not much interviewing. Hold I would receive email fill it out. I would begin work as soon as it was received.

Interview Questions

• what time would you like to work   1 Answer

Negotiation

Put in an application.

Stocker/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dalhart, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General (Dalhart, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

It was overwhelming. But as the interview it become more at ease. The interviewer was very polite and understood everything that I was telling them. The interviewer made me feel like I was part of the team already.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the job?   3 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I originally applied for the assistant managers job. I was contacted about nine days later by the store manager that was doing the interviewing in the area. The store manager was a nice guy told me right off the bat that another candidate with 20 years retail experience applied and got the assistant mangers job. He felt bad for me because I just graduated college with a bachelors degree in business and prior experience in retail and offered me the lead sales associates job. He said I should be getting a call from the DM within a week.

Interview Questions

• There was no difficult questions. Very straight forward interview   1 Answer