Dollar General Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Smyrna, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Smyrna, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar General.

I applied for a job at Dollar General after noticing an ad saying they were hiring. I gave the manager my application and she called me the next day, I went for the interview and was told to take the training program on the computer. At first she didn't say I was hired and so I was told to take a drug test and then called and told I was hired. She said to wait for a call to set up my hours and told me "Welcome to the Dollar General Family". On Monday I was out getting medicine for my son in law, and the new manager called, they were changing stores cause a new one had opened. So he asked me for my full name, I gave it to him. Then he said "Oh your that cute young white chick that comes in here, Right? I was like no, and he said real quickly, "Oh let me call you back" and he never did. I waited a couple of days and when I called again, my information had been completely lost.

I don't think that they are very professional, and he was only looking for young cute females. The first manger was a bit aloof but I chalked it up to her being rushed to the new store.

Interview Questions
    • "Oh your that cute young white chick that comes in here"   View Answer
    I never was given any hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Dollar General.

Applied online hiring manager called me 3 days later , went for an interview the next day the manager was very laid back I felt comfortable the told me to check my email and fill out the employment pack and after my back ground check came back id be getting a call from the manager with my schedule . The manager called me about a week later with my schedule for that upcoming week to start work.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you seen a coworker stealing from work?   Answer Question

Lead Associate Manager 4th Key Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Dollar General.

I applied online and received a phone call from the hiring manager of another store. He told me that the position was part time and that I would make exactly what I asked for on my application.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Dollar General.

Went to a job fair and talked to a store manager and the dm, Dm said he would call back in a few days but never did. Was also called by a store manager for an interview. I called after a few days since I hadn't heard anything back. I guess she was just going to leave me hanging. Said the most she MIGHT be able to offer was 9.50 an hr! Most people started at 9 but since I had several years of experience I might be worth .50 more? DM somehow forgot to mention that this was an overnight position! No incentive for working 3rd shift. Spectacular.

Interview Questions
    • None. All general questions about your experience and customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Quinton, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quinton, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in September 2014.

It was easy. I went in there positive and was asked about my availability. that was it. He told me I would be making 7.50 and told me to check my email for the hiring package.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or un expected questions. No question really.   Answer Question
    It was no negotiation.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dollar General in September 2014.

I applied online for 6 different stores open in the area within a 50 mile radius. I was called a few days later by the Region Manager for an interview. Did a 1 on 1 interview with her the next day. Was very welcoming and drilled me on my past experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have a favorite boss? Why were was he your favorite?   View Answer
    I was called the next day, after an extensive reference check with an offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Dollar General.

Piece of cake. Store manager was super laid back. She asked me a few simple questions, then proceeded to ask when I could begin. I'm sure this process will depend on the manager however. Some may be tougher than others.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Dollar General.

Was pretty simple,I applied on line then called a couple days later.I went in for a interview after that I passed my background check.The next week I was already in training.

Horrible Management

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General.

I took a test as part of the online application process. The test consisted of classic personality and morality questions in addition to basic business management concepts and scenarios. Human Resources (HR) called a couple days later and scheduled a HR phone interview, which was a very informal exchange of information both ways. I then had in-person interviews with both the District Manager (DM) and the Regional Manager (RM). Both the DM and RM interviews were standard, sit-down, formal conversations. The day after the RM interview I received a new hire packet via email. The drug test was scheduled automatically as part of filling out the new hire packet.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected, everything was professional and industry standard.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dollar General.

The process was broken up, poorly managed and (what I found out later) indicative of the company as a whole. Some of the people interviewing me seemed to care and have the company's best interest at heart. However, several of the people showed a sincere lack of dedication and common decency.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your greatest failure and how you handled it.   Answer Question

It wasn't the right fit culturally for me.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!