Dollar General Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.0

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dollar General.

I interviewed with 4 different employees. They asked some basic questions, and just random conversation. We went out to eat after the formal interviews. I had to take an excel test which was difficult.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warner Robins, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warner Robins, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar General.

I had two interviews, first was a phone interview, then a store interview . I was hired on the second interview The interview was with the district manager. You have to dress professional, be at least 30 min early, and talk to the cashiers when you get their,

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

Interview scheduled 30 miles from home, lost 1/2 day of work-called 1 hour before interview to reschedule. 2nd round-lost another 1/2 day of work, drove 60 miles roundtrip. Went to interview for Assistant Manager, was told, "I don't know why they advertise that when we don't have any openings". Was offered cashier, then 3rd key position. Manager very nice. I didn't feel as though she had any control over the published open position and was as much a victim as I was. I thanked her-it wasn't her fault. I read reviews like this, knew this was a possibility but wanted to believe these were isolated incidents but I am now convinced that they recruit for "Management" to draw more qualified people, then offer them lower paying jobs with the promise of promotion. I would definitely verify that I was interviewing for the position that I had applied before I attended an interview. I lost 8 hours of pay, the costs of the commute to the interview and all respect for the company.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want to be a Cashier. Do want to be a 3rd key?   View Answer

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General.

Very easy and fast , nice manager, I made her laugh and we discussed salary which was 7.25 I told her I couldn't do that and she gave me 7.50

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General in March 2015.

Went in there and told them I was here for an interview had to wait a little then went to the back. the manager was super cool and friendly made it really comfortable. was asked 5 or 6 questions and was told if I was chosen for another interview I would hear by the end of the week. Was a good experience and glad they called!

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington, WV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar General in February 2015.

Recruited by Human Resources via Monster.com. Short phone interview with HR to see if I had required experience. Directed to take assessment, and application. Was called back same day for second interview. Following week on Tuesday had in person interview with District Manager, and District Human Resources Manager, contacted same day to schedule third interview. Had third interview that Thursday with Regional Manager at 8:30 AM. Formal job offer was extended same day. Not one of the three people who interviewed me has been with the company longer than three years which I attributed to regular retail turnover, and recent expansion in my area. In my final interview I brought a list of questions that I felt related to the position, and were detrimental to my decision to take position. It seemed after covering my questions, he didn't have any for me. He did state my questions were "professional, and well aligned with the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was your greatest hiring success story?   View Answer
    • How can you reduce Shrink?   View Answer
    • What is your availability?   View Answer
    • What steps would you take with a employee who did not act according to policy, or your standards.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. Salary was determined by store, and the same if insurance was utilized or not.

Lead Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General in February 2015.

Basic interview questions manager did most of the talking told me I would not like it and it wasn't worth the money...interview was quick in a tiny shoebox office. Manager was nice but looked like he just came off the streets from being homeless. Interviewed for the lead but said he had one too many leads and offered me a cashier position that paid $7.50 and the lead gets a dollar more. Told me to let him know one way or the other if I was or wasn't accepting the offer. Call him the next morning and declined asked why told him the pay. Found something better the next day thank God!!

Pay was lousy

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar General in February 2015.

I went in for an Assistant Manager position got offered a cashier position because they couldn't paid me the salaried requested and they want to test me out to see my work ethics before going full time? I barely got a chance to speak, the Store was understaffed and I had the experience. I was asked no question whatsoever, just if I was okay with little over minimum wage to start out....

Interview Questions
    • Nothing absolutely nothing. Supposedly I was over qualified but, I still only got offered a cashier position in the spot with a promise that in a month I would move on to a leadership because they want me.....   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar General in February 2015.

Was called on Friday afternoon, asked what's time I could come in for interview. When I arrived she told me what I needed to wear for work. What I would do while on the clock, what I couldn't do. Just a basic interview.

Store Manager Candidate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

Phone Interview followed by DM interview. There is an online personality test as well. Very standard approach if you are in the retail industry. You won't be surprised in the interview. EXPECT to spend time talking about shrink in detail.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions for retail management, but expect a strong focus on shrink.   View Answer
    None