Dollar General

Getting the Interview

218 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Order Filler Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Dollar General in January 2012.

Interview Details – Online application, then face to face interview on site

Interview Question – Willing to work hours established at beginning of shift?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Paradis, LA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was given a test. There was no interview per say. I was asked to come in and fill out paperwork on the computer. She also asked how much I wanted to work and I was told no jackets can be worn and absolutely no purses.

Interview Question – There were no questions because there wasn't an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Jasper, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call the next day. 3 or 4 general questions about previous jobs and was offered the job as well as offer to train for keyholder position. Very relaxed and typical hiring questions mixed with personal conversational topics, i.e: family, job history etc... Overall pleasant experience.

Interview Question – Very general, standard hiring questions. Nothing which took much foresight to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The cashier position was minimum wage, however the keyholder position I am training for is approx. $9 per hour.

Denton, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar General in June 2013.

Interview Details – Questions relating to previous experience.

Interview Question – Questions were simple, none were difficult.   Answer Question

Livingston, LA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar General in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was called, talked to briefly and asked to come in for an interview. The atmosphere was very casual and the workers seemed friendly enough.

Interview Question – none. It was very easy one or two standard questions you see on the internet that interviewers always ask.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is useless to ask for anything extra because it was just ignored. I only accepted the job because I did not have one and was in need.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview Details – Submitted an application in person. Contacted a week later and started the following week. Basic interview questions. You talk about the job. Interview is with store manager. No 2nd interview. Received a phone call advising that I had been offered the job. Went in to fill out paper work and started the following week.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Store General Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview from the HR manager. Then she set up an interview with the District Manager and it was a sit down(face to face). I had a background check and a drug test. I also had to take the assessment test.

Interview Question – When have you ever disregarded a store policy and why?   View Answer

Palmyra, IN

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dollar General in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went into the store one day and asked if they were hiring. They said yes, and told me to apply online. I did this, waited a few days, then called the store. They asked me to come in for an interview that day. I came in a couple of hours later, the manager took me into the break room and just asked me a few preliminary interview questions (what my hobbies were, if I was still in school, etc.) I got the job on the spot.

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty easy. They asked me, "Why do you want to work here?" which is always hard to answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was offered minimum wage and accepted it

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dollar General in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very interesting.

Interview Question – Relevant questions pertaining to the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take it, job market will not make it easy.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview Details – Manager forgot about interview- had to wait 1/2 hour til she got back from lunch

Interview Question – We need someone available for nights AND days, and weekends   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimum wage

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dollar General

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!

Dollar General Videos

Dollar General – Why Work for Us?

Dollar General is an exciting place these days. Not only is the shopping experience the best it has ever been, our rapid growth has created tremendous career opportunities throughout the company. DG employees find… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar General interview questions and advice. All 218 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dollar General employees and interview candidates.