Dollar General

2.0

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington, WV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar General in February 2015.

Recruited by Human Resources via Monster.com. Short phone interview with HR to see if I had required experience. Directed to take assessment, and application. Was called back same day for second interview. Following week on Tuesday had in person interview with District Manager, and District Human Resources Manager, contacted same day to schedule third interview. Had third interview that Thursday with Regional Manager at 8:30 AM. Formal job offer was extended same day. Not one of the three people who interviewed me has been with the company longer than three years which I attributed to regular retail turnover, and recent expansion in my area. In my final interview I brought a list of questions that I felt related to the position, and were detrimental to my decision to take position. It seemed after covering my questions, he didn't have any for me. He did state my questions were "professional, and well aligned with the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was your greatest hiring success story?   View Answer
    • How can you reduce Shrink?   View Answer
    • What is your availability?   View Answer
    • What steps would you take with a employee who did not act according to policy, or your standards.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. Salary was determined by store, and the same if insurance was utilized or not.

Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General in February 2015.

Basic interview questions manager did most of the talking told me I would not like it and it wasn't worth the money...interview was quick in a tiny shoebox office. Manager was nice but looked like he just came off the streets from being homeless. Interviewed for the lead but said he had one too many leads and offered me a cashier position that paid $7.50 and the lead gets a dollar more. Told me to let him know one way or the other if I was or wasn't accepting the offer. Call him the next morning and declined asked why told him the pay. Found something better the next day thank God!!

Pay was lousy

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar General in February 2015.

I went in for an Assistant Manager position got offered a cashier position because they couldn't paid me the salaried requested and they want to test me out to see my work ethics before going full time? I barely got a chance to speak, the Store was understaffed and I had the experience. I was asked no question whatsoever, just if I was okay with little over minimum wage to start out....

Interview Questions
    • Nothing absolutely nothing. Supposedly I was over qualified but, I still only got offered a cashier position in the spot with a promise that in a month I would move on to a leadership because they want me.....   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General.

Well, it is hard to explain because he asked some basic questions like availability and experience you have. Don't talk too much or little but be someone they want. Also, don't talk about stealing because they have trust issues and experiences with previous employers stealing.

Interview Questions
    Ask about your wage before you take the offer.

Lead Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar General.

Has applied to another store nearer my home but this store was severely under staffed. I was called about a month after I applied. Interview was brief with the typical interview questions. Was called the day after the interview and instructed to complete the new hire packet online. That took about an hour and a half. Had to complete urinalysis within 48 hours of completing packet. Started work 5 days after urinalysis.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were standard for retail. The most difficult was "What would you say your biggest weakness is an an employee?"   Answer Question
    I was told the hourly rate was $7.75/hour firm. When completing the employee packet the rate was $8.00.

Store Manager Candidate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

Phone Interview followed by DM interview. There is an online personality test as well. Very standard approach if you are in the retail industry. You won't be surprised in the interview. EXPECT to spend time talking about shrink in detail.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions for retail management, but expect a strong focus on shrink.   View Answer
    None

Lead Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dollar General.

Really easy, just put in an application! I called to see the status of my application and then I got a call soon after that! The interview was chilled nothing too serious! Just be really good at counting money, fast!

none

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dollar General.

Phone interview with HR was generic run through of resume. Once past that, it's a series of interview all day with multiple people- 2 panels, 1- one on one with hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Can you provide an example of a good or bad promotion that stands out to you- either that Dollar General has done or another company?   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockton, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar General in January 2015.

I applied on a Wednesday and then got a call on Friday for an interview that same day. I got hired on the spot after a few simple questions. They scheduled me an app. For a drug test at a clinic. Results took 3 days when the manager called me back . I start today @ 2 :)

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you caught another associate stealing?   View Answer
    Just be confident:)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in January 2015.

applied online two days later did interview had to drive to two diffrent stores the online test took a hour to do manager asked me if i had any skeltons in the closet i said no