Dollar General Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.0

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

The manager asked me to describe myself to her and where I saw myself in 5 years.I told her I wanted to be in the Management and work my way up. This seemed to really please her and she said that was what she was waiting to hear.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Applied online, manger called me within a week and an interview time was set up. Super easy and quick interview, had no previous job experience as I was a student. They asked about pay and what hours and days I was available. The interview lasted 15 minutes or less, and I received an offer about two days later, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Have you had any experience using a cash register?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Part Time Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

The interview process was quick and easy. They asked a few basic questions and thoroughly explained the position before I left. I felt very at ease with the interviewing manager.

Interview Questions

• Although Dollar General will write your paycheck, who will you ultimately be working for?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

I interviewed with 4 different employees. They asked some basic questions, and just random conversation. We went out to eat after the formal interviews. I had to take an excel test which was difficult.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warner Robins, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar General (Warner Robins, GA).

Interview

I had two interviews, first was a phone interview, then a store interview . I was hired on the second interview The interview was with the district manager. You have to dress professional, be at least 30 min early, and talk to the cashiers when you get their,

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Interview scheduled 30 miles from home, lost 1/2 day of work-called 1 hour before interview to reschedule. 2nd round-lost another 1/2 day of work, drove 60 miles roundtrip. Went to interview for Assistant Manager, was told, "I don't know why they advertise that when we don't have any openings". Was offered cashier, then 3rd key position. Manager very nice. I didn't feel as though she had any control over the published open position and was as much a victim as I was. I thanked her-it wasn't her fault. I read reviews like this, knew this was a possibility but wanted to believe these were isolated incidents but I am now convinced that they recruit for "Management" to draw more qualified people, then offer them lower paying jobs with the promise of promotion. I would definitely verify that I was interviewing for the position that I had applied before I attended an interview. I lost 8 hours of pay, the costs of the commute to the interview and all respect for the company.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to be a Cashier. Do want to be a 3rd key?   1 Answer

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Very easy and fast , nice manager, I made her laugh and we discussed salary which was 7.25 I told her I couldn't do that and she gave me 7.50

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General in March 2015.

Interview

Went in there and told them I was here for an interview had to wait a little then went to the back. the manager was super cool and friendly made it really comfortable. was asked 5 or 6 questions and was told if I was chosen for another interview I would hear by the end of the week. Was a good experience and glad they called!

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duncanville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar General (Duncanville, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The hiring manger called me and asked if I could come in for a small interview. Very brief, lasted about 7 minutes. He was very kind and understanding about me asking to work around my school schedule and I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Are you available on weekends?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington, WV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar General (Huntington, WV) in February 2015.

Interview

Recruited by Human Resources via Monster.com. Short phone interview with HR to see if I had required experience. Directed to take assessment, and application. Was called back same day for second interview. Following week on Tuesday had in person interview with District Manager, and District Human Resources Manager, contacted same day to schedule third interview. Had third interview that Thursday with Regional Manager at 8:30 AM. Formal job offer was extended same day. Not one of the three people who interviewed me has been with the company longer than three years which I attributed to regular retail turnover, and recent expansion in my area. In my final interview I brought a list of questions that I felt related to the position, and were detrimental to my decision to take position. It seemed after covering my questions, he didn't have any for me. He did state my questions were "professional, and well aligned with the position.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest hiring success story?   1 Answer
    • How can you reduce Shrink?   1 Answer
    • What is your availability?   1 Answer
    • What steps would you take with a employee who did not act according to policy, or your standards.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Salary was determined by store, and the same if insurance was utilized or not.