Dollar General

Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

Interviewed at Dollar General

Interview Details – Long process with tests which will make you feel like you are taking the SAT all over again, drug test, and background check. Other wise easy going interview, basic interview questions, tell me about your previous management experience. Are you relocatable is a big deal to Dollar General.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
New Middletown, OH

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar General in September 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted very fast.. face to face interview with district manager and GM. very normal like all interviews... very nice and friendly people. awesome place to work! recommended for all teens and older people

Interview Question – Understanding all the complaints and understanding all the rules and guidelines this company needs   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – gets a raise every year. awesome place to work!

Picker Interview

Picker

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview Details – The hiring process was great, met interesting people in the HR department and as well as upper management. however, when i was given a tour of the warehouses, it seemed as if the supervisors already expected for me to quit. turn around at the warehouse is bad.

Interview Question – why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview Details – Apply online, assessment, 3 phone interviews before a face-to-face interview. It was drawn out, but not bad. The questions were easy however I was thrown into a broken store with less than a week of training.

Interview Question – None of them were difficult   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

District Manager
Harrisburg, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in June 2010.

Interview Details – Applied on line: Phone interview. 3 days later interview with Regional Manager and Division Manager. One week later interview with Human Resources Manager and aptitude test. Hired within a week
Applied on line.
Received a call from Regional Manager 3 days later. Asked to come for interview 3 days later.
Interviewed with Regional Manager and Divisional Manager.
3 days later interviewed with Human Resources Manager and took aptitude test.
Went for drug test one day later.
Offer made five days later and accepted position.

Interview Question – None, standard questions for a District Manager   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiations

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Cashier/Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview Details – I applied online. A week after applying I was called by the hiring manager to set up an interview for the next day. The interview only lasted around 10 minutes, very easy and casual. I was offered the job on the spot, but they did not offer me enough hours so I declined.

Interview Question – None. Spent most of the time having a casual conversation about past experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough hours offered.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Worcester, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview Details – Applications online only, slightly confusing online application process, ridiculous assessment test. I don't know what they think they're learning about applicants with the questions they ask. Slow turnaround. Very quick and easy interview process.

Interview Question – no difficult or unexpected questions. key holder applicants must pass a drug test. that seems like the most difficult aspect for most applicants lol.   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Cashier/Sales Associate
Gladwin, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dollar General in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online to several of the surrounding stores in my area. I got a callback about a week or less after applying and was asked to come in for an interview. When I arrived for the interview, the manager brought me into her office and started explaining the basics of the job as if I already had the job. She said she wanted to hire me mainly because I had previous retail experience, and the job was mine. I accepted and was given information on completing some "HR" paperwork online for taxes and such at home. Started at minimum wage, and they give you 25 cents every year.

Interview Question – She didn't ask me any real interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it's minimum wage hourly.

Lead Sales Associate Interview

Lead Sales Associate
Grain Valley, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar General in May 2012.

Interview Details – One phone call to set up the interview; one interview where you pretty much talk about your work history; from there you're hired or not. It's very short and to the point.

Interview Question – Every question is centered around your work history. What did you do, how did you like it, what would you like to do more of?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The pay is firm and non-negotiable. You either take it or walk away.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in December 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was brief but complete and the follow up was even shorter. I had to track down the District Manager past the date he gave me regarding the hiring status. Worse, it was over the weekend and I didn't feel comfortable calling then, so the wait was 72 hours.

Interview Question – None of the questions were unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one. I was told flatly that it was non-negotiable.