Dollar General

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

2.0

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dollar General.

Piece of cake. Store manager was super laid back. She asked me a few simple questions, then proceeded to ask when I could begin. I'm sure this process will depend on the manager however. Some may be tougher than others.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General.

Was pretty simple,I applied on line then called a couple days later.I went in for a interview after that I passed my background check.The next week I was already in training.

Horrible Management

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

I took a test as part of the online application process. The test consisted of classic personality and morality questions in addition to basic business management concepts and scenarios. Human Resources (HR) called a couple days later and scheduled a HR phone interview, which was a very informal exchange of information both ways. I then had in-person interviews with both the District Manager (DM) and the Regional Manager (RM). Both the DM and RM interviews were standard, sit-down, formal conversations. The day after the RM interview I received a new hire packet via email. The drug test was scheduled automatically as part of filling out the new hire packet.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected, everything was professional and industry standard.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dollar General.

The process was broken up, poorly managed and (what I found out later) indicative of the company as a whole. Some of the people interviewing me seemed to care and have the company's best interest at heart. However, several of the people showed a sincere lack of dedication and common decency.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your greatest failure and how you handled it.   Answer Question

It wasn't the right fit culturally for me.

Cashier Interview

Basic questions about handling difficult people, working with others, etc...
    They also want to know about availability and how long you plan on being with the company
    Be prepared to take a test testing your integrity and what not, they are trying to determine if you will steal and there's a drug test

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an innate costumer   View Answer
    There wasn't one they start cashiers off at minimum wage

Lead Cashier/Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meridian, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meridian, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in August 2014.

I applied at store locations close to my house and she didn't even interview me she called and talked to me sent me the hiring packet via email and than wanted me to come in and do an interview. And the lady doing all this was an assistant this store didn't even have a manager there, she wanted to communicate thru other employees via text. I waited days for my schedule and never heard anything. Another store called me for an interview so I went and got offered a job there which I took cause she actually looked at my application and gave me credit for my experience. But the other store had me locked up in the system, she said she would get it all straightened out and give me a call it's been over a week and I haven't heard anything from her and she doesn't return phone calls. I had another store call me I explained to her my situation and she said she would call and talk to the other store about what there gunna do. I still haven't heard anything from anyone and it's been two weeks I have called but never get a phone call back.

Interview Questions
    Didn't have much to negotiate I thought what I was being offered was fair. As far as advice to others I would just say be careful every experience is different mine wasn't good with this company.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dollar General in July 2014.

I was called within an hour of submitting my application. I the initial phone call was very professional and positive. My interview went very smooth and I was offered the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I would do if two of my employees started arguing on the floor in front of customers.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar General.

I applied online after going to the store one day and finding out that they were hiring. It took about an hour to complete but the assessment was fairly easy. Two days later I received a call from the manager asking me to come in the following afternoon for an interview. During this interview I was mainly asked about my last job, how I handled certain situations, and the duties I had while I was there. The manager was very nice and discussed the dress code, pay rate, job duties, and other basic job-related information with me. After the interview was over, he seemed to like what he heard and told me that he would give me a call as soon as the person who was leaving left. I received another call about a week later from the manager asking me to come in for a second interview the following morning. During this interview I met with the assistant manager and she went more into detail about the job-related information that was discussed in the first interview and asked me more in-depth questions about why I wanted to work there and what I expected from this opportunity, as well as whether or not I felt that I was physically capable of handling all aspects of the job. She seemed to like that I had register experience. This interview went well also and the assistant manager would talk it over with the manager. The manager was in at the time so they talked everything over briefly and gave me a conditional offer on the spot, but told me that I would have to complete the online hiring packet and pass a background check first. I received an e-mail with the steps and completed everything that same day and was called with an official offer and a start date the next day.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar General.

I was interviewed the following day they called me and was offered a position right then and there. I was given details about the job and what would be expected. The manager was very down to earth and was easy to interview with. The environment is very casual, the manager was wearing jeans and polo during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Can you deal with upset customers that might yell at you and even curse at you?   View Answer
    I went from 7.20 to 7.50. Never accept the first offer.

Store Manager Interview

Applied online DollarGenneral.com/careers. Was called and set date for interview. Had two interviews one with DM and one with RD, was called a few days later and sent for drug test and background.