Dollar General

Dollar General Interview Questions in Nashville, TN

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Regional Human Resource Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dollar General in February 2014.

Process took four months. They courted me through the process and then they said I was looking for too much money. I told them my salary requirements right from the first meeting. I have no respect for the HR leadership at Dollar General.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions. One that stands out was where do you want to be in ten years. I told them Vice President of HR and had a plan on how this could be achieved.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, TN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar General in July 2013.

Very laid back interview. Fresh out of college with no management experience, however, the manager was in dire need of assistant managers to fill the spot. Nothing difficult, she just asked me if I was willing to work hard and help. Granted the position is only offering me $9/hr I'm not going to complain for the experience I can gain in management and take farther. Other than that it was just a lot of small talk and random chatting. Very easy.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. The only thing the store manager really asked me was "How have you dealt with a difficult customer in the past?"   Answer Question
    Only offered $9 but to just start out in management I'm not going to complain. It just gives me the opportunity to gain experience.

Human Resource Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in October 2012.

I was first contacted by a recruiter. From there I was interviewed via telephone 4 times, followed by an onsite visit to Goodlettsville, TN. People were pleasant but interview seemed a bit unorganized.

Interview Questions
    • What is your specific method for recruiting potential employees?   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dollar General in August 2012.

I went through a phone interview and then a series of one on one interviews with senior leaders.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General in July 2012.

Short phone interview, and then in person interview at their headquarters. Very friendly laid back interview. Positive experience all around

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Fairly standard interview questions with a few behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Graphic Designer - Desktop Publisher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in May 2012.

Week 1 - Phone interview with a pleasant HR person and standard questions. This was the most professional of all the interviews I participated in. Week 2, 3 in-person interviews, first with an HR manager who asked very few questions and the second with two direct reports who asked even fewer questions. The lack of questions seemed to me to be an indicator that they were not interested in hiring me, so I was very surprised to be called back for a third time. I interviewed with the head of the department. Even more surprisingly, this person was extremely aggressive and condescending. In my experience, at this stage in the interview process, potential employers seem enthusiastic about your qualifications rather than dismissive. Overall, it was an extremely unprofessional and unpleasant interview process, which to me did not bode well for the company overall. Had they offered me the position I would have refused it.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked were all typical interview questions.   View Answer

Strategic Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in October 2010.

Interviewed for a position with an outside vendor who works on-site with Dollar General. Had two interviews with vendor company and then met with the client representative (Dollar General). This was one of the worst interviews I've ever had. The Dollar General employee was gruff and extremely rude. Spoke quickly and basically wanted to let me know if I took the job it would be a "dictatorship", I would have to do everything he told me to do with little, if any, input on my part. He wasn't interested in someone with a brain that could bring a fresh eye to the situation, he just wanted someone to carry out his demands. Told me this would be a 24/7 job and asked if when a crisis came along and he was yelling at me to get things done, if I would "cry like a little girl." I maintained my professional demeanor, but this guy had a God complex. I spoke with an employee of Dollar General before going into the interview who told me, "When he calls you in to give you a project, you better ask all your questions right then, because if you come back to him later to ask a question, he'll bite your head off." The office was very comtemporary and the lobby was nice. The receptionist was very polite and helpful. A friend of mine who previously worked there, told me Dollar General was a "sweat shop" and after being there for my interview, I concur.

Interview Questions
    • When there is a crisis situation and I am yelling at you to get something done, will you cry like a little girl?   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dollar General in June 2010.

Interview with regional and divisional

Did not negotiate

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar General in April 2009.

My interview with the HR team was very professional and consistent with my expectations. The Divisional VP of Operations for the KY market was the distinct disappointment. He was arrogant and frankly unprofessional. He openly mocked my credentials and all but called me a liar. He insinuated that despite more than 3 decades as a successful retail manager I "might" not be qualified to work for DG. He forgets that the interview process is just as much about ME sizing them up as them sizing me up! No wonder the comments on this site reference the fact that the same mindset prevails even with store associates! A REAL SHAME!!!!

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in December 2008.

Standard interview process. Phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with hiring managers, one day of on site interviews with several panels. Filling out of paperwork (application, etc.)