Dollar General

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

South Chicago, IL

I applied through other source - interviewed at Dollar General in October 2010.

Interview Details – Was recruited, offered a position and accepted.

Interview Question – None. Listening was very important as I interviewed with the regional mngr. as well as the District mngr. You can't allow a question to derail you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It all transpired over lunch. I was taken to lunch by both the RM and DM separately. The process was fairly painless and more of a "feeling you out process". The only complaint I had was not being told that my salary would have a direct effect on my ability to staff the store. In other words, the more the Store Mngr. makes, the less money left over for staffing the store.

Very Easy Interview

Retail Store Manager

I applied through other source - interviewed at Dollar General in July 2013.

Interview Details – Not exptensive at all. co. looks very disorganized in their push into California. looking for Drones to execute their programs. Basically told me were not paying you too think.....

Interview Question – no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – 6 days a week mandatory. Pay was not what I wanted.

Retail Store Manager

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Dollar General in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied Online, was contacted a few hours later by email and by phone from recruiter asking me to take online test when I had time. Completed test and within a few hours (now 8pm) recieved another call from recruiter thanking me for taking the test and to set up a phone interview. I have a crazy schedule, but recruiter was willing to set up a phone interview at 9pm the next night. Scheduled for a panel interview with 2 district managers 3 days later. Was told I would be scheduled for an interview with Regional manager later in the week, but instead recieved a phone call from one of the District Managers to offer me the position. They were very open and discussed the position in detail, making me aware of the potential problems and perks of the position. We discussed concerns they have about this store in particular and discussed oppoportunities to improve these problems. The panel interview lasted just over an hour and I left with a complete understanding of the job, the store, and their expectations. I was told the specific store that was open before the interview and had the opportuity to pay the store a visit so I was prepared to discuss how I would respond specificaly to issues in that store.

Interview Questions

• Tell us your thoughs on shrink.   View Answer
  • Have you been in a Dollar General before? Tell us 2 things you like and 2 things you would change.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were brief, I was given a very fair offer, but requested more. Be open about your needs, but be able to tell them why you are worth it based on your experience. A 10 minute discussion gained me 2k a year over their offer.

Retail Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar General in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very well done
structured
good process

Interview Question – Define Customer Service   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dollar General

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!

Dollar General Videos

Dollar General – Why Work for Us?

Dollar General is an exciting place these days. Not only is the shopping experience the best it has ever been, our rapid growth has created tremendous career opportunities throughout the company. DG employees find… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar General Retail Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dollar General employees and interview candidates.