Dollar General

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.7

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Store Manager Candidate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General in April 2014.

I got a phone call in one week , ask to meet with a training manager. the follow day I was call in to meet the dm and few days later I had a offer.

no negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar General

Store Manager Candidate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in February 2014.

Took the assessment testing on a Monday and received a call on Friday to schedule an interview with HR on Monday. Interview went well. She said she would get in touch with the DM to give him my information for the next interview step. She explained if I was hired the training would last 90 days and then after I had completed that I would sit down with the DM and together we would decide if I was ready for my own store. If we felt that I was ready then I would get the next available store in my area.

She explained the pay range and would I accept that if offered. Explained that I would be working anywhere between 45-60 hours per week and was I okay with that. I have had my own business in the past so I am familiar with having to work long hours.

It has been almost a week since I talked with HR rep and still haven't heard from the DM regarding an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected. Did ask what would I ask a potential employee about customer service.

Know what shrink is and what would you do to alleviate the problem.
        View Answer

Store Manager Candidate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

I originally applied for an assistant manager at my local store. Went in for the interview with the store manager, he was nice and the interview went well. A couple days later I got a call from the district manager saying I was qualified for a store manager candidate position, basically store manager in training. I had to reapply to the company for that position and then take a manager assessment in order to be considered. I passed, and a day or two later I drove 50 miles to a different town to have an interview with him for the SMC position. At that point I think he has already decided he wanted to hire me, so it was mostly what the position entailed and the pay, etc. He told me that there would be 8 days of out of town training in a model store, and that I'd go to Chicago for 5 days for classroom training. We started the online process/paperwork then and scheduled my drugtest online when I got home.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very basic, situational questions that most/all retailers use. "Tell me a time when..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roselle, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roselle, NJ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dollar General in April 2013.

Applied online (skills test online). Received a call from a hiring manager 2 weeks later (short interview, easy). Was scheduled for a 1:1 with the DM-- lasted 15-20 mins. Regular questions. Offered position few days later.

Interview Questions
    One Salary for everyone (preset)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dollar General in April 2012.

I never actually applied for a position. While i was shopping with my family the RDM asked me to consider coming to work for DG. I called him the next buisness day and was asked to email him a resume. 2 days later i recieved a call from another manager who wanted to interview immediatley. I interviewed that same day. 2 days later i recieved another phone call, the RDM was coming in the next day to meet with me. I had an interview with him and they said they would call me within the next couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • would I be willing to recruit other employees from my current job to come to work for DG.   View Answer
    • how would you control shrink in your store, as the store is in a low income neighborhood and the shrink is already extremely high.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar General in September 2010.

Interviewed with district manager and about an hour later the area manager on same day

no negotiations permitted

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danville, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar General in March 2010.

The overall interview process was okay. There was an initial phone interview followed up by an in person interview. Then there was a final interview with the job offer. Everything was pretty much standard such as background and drug testing. The process was relatively smooth and painless. However; as with most companies, the pre-employment test seemed useless and did not have anything to do with the job in which I was applying.

NONE

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danville, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dollar General in March 2010.

The initial connection between employer and employee is done through the Human Resources department. they ask you a few initial questions and e-mail you a link to take the assessment test. After the test is completed, you meet with the District Manager for a 1 on 1 interview. The questions are standardized on a computer printout. After the interview, you are given a preliminary job offer pending the outcome of the background and drug screening. Once everything comes back okay, you are given a final job offer and given a starting date. The DM's interviewing manner is slightly unprofessional. I had my interviews with him at Steak and Shake. It was kind of hard to focus with all of the background noise and movement. Other than that, the interview process is fairly simple.

Interview Questions
    • What are your individual weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to slightly break policy in order to achieve a desired result? (Trick Question)   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase, what they offer you is all that you are going to get. The only thing that you may be able to negotiate is non-paid time off if you already have a trip planned before accepting the job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar General in July 2009.

you apply online
    a recruiter calls you to interview
    then if you get pass that interview you are to take an online assessment
    then the assessment results and the recruiters comments go to the regional director and they decide to interview and/or hire

Interview Questions
    • what is the biggest expense for a dollar general manager to control?   View Answer
    • five ways employees can steal from the register?   View Answer
    did notnegotiate

Store Manager Candidate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in August 2012.

I filled out an online application. I received a phone call about 2 weeks later from a Manager at a local store and was asked to come in for an in-person interview that same day. I got ready for the interview and arrived on time.

When I arrived at the store, I noticed that there were 3 employees there. I told the cashier on duty that I was here to interview and the cashier directed me to the manager on duty. The manager on duty explained that a freight truck was late and asked me to "walk the aisles" while he waited for the truck to arrive. I waited for more than 2 hours before the manager bothered to begin the interview. Now most candidates would probably have walked out instead of being as patient as I was but I decided to stay to show my commitment to the company and my desire to work there. To say that delaying a scheduled interview by 2 hours is unprofessional behavior would be a terrible understatement

While I was waiting, I got to know some of the employees that worked there. I learned that it is typical to under-staff the store when freight trucks arrive to the degree that it is very difficult for the small number of workers on duty to be able to process all the freight that arrives in addition to performing all other duties like customer service. That third employee that I saw was a floating worker that reports to the District Manager and assists with various stores on an as-needed basis. And the manager on duty was actually the store manager from another location. Apparently, the manager that was supposed to open the store that day was a no-show so a store manager from a neighboring city had to open the store for him in his place. This alone demonstrates the very high turn-over that Dollar General seems to have.

I also learned that the previous store manager had done a terrible job and was fired for poor performance. The lack of good management at the store was very apparent. The entire store was dirty, filthy and dusty and the floors were in extreme disrepair. The floor by the checkout counters were so bad that the linoleum had literally been swept away and the concrete foundation was showing through. Obviously, this company does not care about presentation and customer experience.

After the arduous wait, the manager finally ushered me into his dirty and unorganized office in a private hallway in the store. He gave me a rushed description of the job and said that although my work experience included high-level management, I wasn't qualified to get the Store Manager Candidate position because I lacked "big box" and "small box" store experience. Personally, I don't see why I wouldn't qualify for the Training program that they advertise. It seems that 2 weeks is certainly enough time to learn how to run that store considering that I come from a strong management background and have received excellent past reviews.

He said that the most he could start me out at was at $10 an hour which seemed very low considering the quality of work and dedication that Dollar General was going to get out of me. He even said that that offer was high even though it equates to $19k a year which is lower than I've ever made.

He tried to bulldoze me into accepting it by not giving me a day to think it over. He said that I had to accept the offer immediately in the office and that I could not consider it overnight. Furthermore, he said that if I did not accept his offer right then that it would be null and void. This type of situation made him feel very much like a dirty-handed used car salesman trying to get me to buy the car without turning it on to see if it runs. I didn't like the impression that that gave me about how the company treats its employees. If the company is trying to intimidate job candidates, then I can't imagine how bad it must be to work for them as their actual employee.

Needless to say, I turned them down and left. In all the "interview" took 3 hours, 2 and a half of which were spent on waiting for it to even start. The company is disorganized and does not seem to care about its employees. My advice to senior management would be to offer appropriate compensation to workers and you will have a lower turnover ratio and be able to hire more skilled and higher quality workers.

Interview Questions
    • How would you manage the entire store by yourself?   View Answer

The company seemed very disorganized, dirty and unprofessional in general. They were more than 2 hours late before they started the scheduled interview which speaks volumes about how poorly they operate as a company.

Insufficient compensation was offered. They wanted me to work for them for $10 an hour ($19k a year).