Dollar General

2.3

74 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dollar General.

Typical interview process is 2 step. The regional manager was in the area so interview with them as well as district manager. Thus eliminating a step. General structure of company was discussed. Scheduling was discussed excluding your expectation to 6 days. Structure of delivery schedules and expectations of having trucks processed and stocked.

Interview Questions
  • Fairly straight forward questions if you experienced at running stores. What are priorities in running a store. How do you handle customer complaints. How do you handle issues with subordinates.   Answer Question
They try to lowball you salary wise. Hold your ground if you are experienced.

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar General

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar General in September 2014.

I applied online for 6 different stores open in the area within a 50 mile radius. I was called a few days later by the Region Manager for an interview. Did a 1 on 1 interview with her the next day. Was very welcoming and drilled me on my past experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have a favorite boss? Why were was he your favorite?   View Answer
    I was called the next day, after an extensive reference check with an offer.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar General.

I took a test as part of the online application process. The test consisted of classic personality and morality questions in addition to basic business management concepts and scenarios. Human Resources (HR) called a couple days later and scheduled a HR phone interview, which was a very informal exchange of information both ways. I then had in-person interviews with both the District Manager (DM) and the Regional Manager (RM). Both the DM and RM interviews were standard, sit-down, formal conversations. The day after the RM interview I received a new hire packet via email. The drug test was scheduled automatically as part of filling out the new hire packet.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected, everything was professional and industry standard.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dollar General in July 2014.

I was called within an hour of submitting my application. I the initial phone call was very professional and positive. My interview went very smooth and I was offered the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I would do if two of my employees started arguing on the floor in front of customers.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Applied online DollarGenneral.com/careers. Was called and set date for interview. Had two interviews one with DM and one with RD, was called a few days later and sent for drug test and background.

Store Manager Interview

Long process with tests which will make you feel like you are taking the SAT all over again, drug test, and background check. Other wise easy going interview, basic interview questions, tell me about your previous management experience. Are you relocatable is a big deal to Dollar General.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General.

Apply online, assessment, 3 phone interviews before a face-to-face interview. It was drawn out, but not bad. The questions were easy however I was thrown into a broken store with less than a week of training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar General in February 2014.

Applied online and received a call from an HR manager. After completing a phone screen with the HR manager my information was forwarded to a district manager. I was set up last minute to interview with two district managers at one of their retail locations. Interview mainly consisted of my relevant work experience. They provided feedback on experience and also had follow-up questions as I talked. They asked very few outright questions of me except what my experience was with recruitment, development, coaching, and terminations. At the conclusion of the interview I was offered the position on the spot to work with either district manager. Both district managers seemed very eager to work with me and appeared to both be a good support staff for store management.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions for this interview   Answer Question

Annual compensation rates are set based on store location and volume. DM's don't have power to offer more based on experience. I declined the offer due to the low annual compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Dollar General in January 2014.

Very thorough interview, equally thorough vetting process.

Interview Questions
    • None were outside of the "norm" for an in-depth interview.   Answer Question
    They do not negotiate salaries, it's a pre-determined scale.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tupelo, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tupelo, MS

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar General in January 2014.

The interview process was very easy, as I was an internal promote. The DM and RD were involved and really made sure that I was ready to pursue this career.