Dollar General

Getting the Interview

63 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in May 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview, then followed by District manager

Interview Question – none common sense   Answer Question

Birmingham, AL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview, equally thorough vetting process.

Interview Question – None were outside of the "norm" for an in-depth interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate salaries, it's a pre-determined scale.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Dollar General in January 2014.

Interview Details – applied online and was contacted by hr. Then interviewed by district manager.

Interview Question – Shrink questions   View Answer

Bloomington, IN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dollar General in December 2013.

Interview Details – Interview with DM, phone interview with RM

Interview Question – No tricky questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in January 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring you must pass a DBA test before interviewing. Pass back ground and drug test. The interview is easy once you get one. The process takes 2-4 weeks with the new hiring system. It also depends on how fast the District Manager takes to get the process started.

Interview Question – Not any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I turned down the job with the first offer and demanded more money or I would stay at home as I was doing. They counter offered a salary that was 7k more then the initial offer don't take the first offer negotiate you know what your worth don;t settle for anything less. I did settle for lowest salary I ever made because I was bored sitting at home.

Hays, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and found the test to be incredibly hard. Wasn't expecting anything this difficult, particularly for a position at a dollar store. DM called me within a week and our first interview took place. Questions included previous work experience and why I was interested in starting a career with Dollar General. An in person interview was scheduled for the next week. My DM was twenty minutes late to the interview. The in person interview was surprisingly casual. We just went a bit more in depth with my retail experience. I did my drug test a week later and I went to training shortly after.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was making more at my previous job. Desperate to fill the position, I was offered more than what I was making at my previous employer. Make sure you negotiate. The hours you will be working are insane and you deserve much more than you're offered up front.

Very Easy Interview

Lehigh Acres, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in September 2011.

Interview Details – My interview was at a store that was by the district manager during inventory. It was more of a chat than an interview. I had worked for the store manager at this store for another company years ago.

Interview Question – No questions were really asked   Answer Question

Interviewed at Dollar General

Interview Details – Not really impressed that the only way to apply is online. Job is still listed, I am more than qualified, and two weeks later...nothing-and no way to contact anyone to show genuine interest or sell yourself.

Interview Question – Haven't had the opportunity to answer any :(   Answer Question

Jackson, MS

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar General in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a district manager and interviewed at the store I was going to take over, I was also interviewed 3 days later by the regional manager.

Interview Question – How would you control shrink at your store   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar General in August 2010.

Interview Details – Hired on the spot. They seemed to be in a pinch with letting people go. I have a lot of experience doing interviews so I answered all the normal interview questions and I asked a lot of questions involving the company and expectations. I also arrived early to look around the store to find problem areas to give me something to talk about.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? I think most people try to rattle off some planned response but I think you should do your homework on what that employer is looking for and tailor a response specific to the employer you are interviewing with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I suggest looking up on Glassdoor.com for all employers you are interviewing so if they do make an offer you know how much wiggle room you have. I did not do the research upfront and didn't think i would have to negotiate that day so I had no idea what the pay range was.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dollar General

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!

Dollar General Videos

Dollar General – Why Work for Us?

Dollar General is an exciting place these days. Not only is the shopping experience the best it has ever been, our rapid growth has created tremendous career opportunities throughout the company. DG employees find… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar General Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 63 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dollar General employees and interview candidates.