Dollar General

Average Difficulty
67 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied by sending my resume to a recruiter who posted on craigslist. He emailed me a test to take online. The test was about an hour or so and consisted of basic math and reading problems. I drove to a location to meet with the DM to interview

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions. I was asked if i knew what "shrink" was and basic questions on how i dealt with previous retail problems with employees, scheduling, management etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didnt reallly negotiate because I had just moved to Austin TX and what they offered covered my bills and such. You can negotiate based off of your experience.

Interviewed at Dollar General

Interview Details – Long process with tests which will make you feel like you are taking the SAT all over again, drug test, and background check. Other wise easy going interview, basic interview questions, tell me about your previous management experience. Are you relocatable is a big deal to Dollar General.

Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview Details – Apply online, assessment, 3 phone interviews before a face-to-face interview. It was drawn out, but not bad. The questions were easy however I was thrown into a broken store with less than a week of training.

Interview Question – None of them were difficult   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Harrisburg, PA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Dollar General in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was recruited via Monster. Iwent to the first interview which was about an hour away not a huge problem., but then I had to wait 20 minutes for the interview to start. Was given an overview of the job, not a very in depth interview but I've had worse-and that would be the second interview. I had to drive two hours away and the guy that was interviewing me (different from the first) was an hour late to the interview. Coped a attitude with me and aske me the same question 6 times, about employee theft. I was finally told that I would only get 1 day off a week and had to work a mandatory 50, but only paid for 40-exempt you see.

Interview Question – None that was unexpected and should have clued me in on the vacous nature of the company. The second interviewer painted a not so nice picture of the company. Was highly surprised when they offered me the job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in May 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview, then followed by District manager

Interview Question – none common sense   Answer Question

Birmingham, AL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview, equally thorough vetting process.

Interview Question – None were outside of the "norm" for an in-depth interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate salaries, it's a pre-determined scale.

Store Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Dollar General in January 2014.

Interview Details – applied online and was contacted by hr. Then interviewed by district manager.

Interview Question – Shrink questions   View Answer

Bloomington, IN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dollar General in December 2013.

Interview Details – Interview with DM, phone interview with RM

Interview Question – No tricky questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in January 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring you must pass a DBA test before interviewing. Pass back ground and drug test. The interview is easy once you get one. The process takes 2-4 weeks with the new hiring system. It also depends on how fast the District Manager takes to get the process started.

Interview Question – Not any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I turned down the job with the first offer and demanded more money or I would stay at home as I was doing. They counter offered a salary that was 7k more then the initial offer don't take the first offer negotiate you know what your worth don;t settle for anything less. I did settle for lowest salary I ever made because I was bored sitting at home.

Hays, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar General in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and found the test to be incredibly hard. Wasn't expecting anything this difficult, particularly for a position at a dollar store. DM called me within a week and our first interview took place. Questions included previous work experience and why I was interested in starting a career with Dollar General. An in person interview was scheduled for the next week. My DM was twenty minutes late to the interview. The in person interview was surprisingly casual. We just went a bit more in depth with my retail experience. I did my drug test a week later and I went to training shortly after.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was making more at my previous job. Desperate to fill the position, I was offered more than what I was making at my previous employer. Make sure you negotiate. The hours you will be working are insane and you deserve much more than you're offered up front.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dollar General

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!

Dollar General Videos

Dollar General – Why Work for Us?

Dollar General is an exciting place these days. Not only is the shopping experience the best it has ever been, our rapid growth has created tremendous career opportunities throughout the company. DG employees find… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar General Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 67 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dollar General employees and interview candidates.