Dollar Tree

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Manager Trainee Interview

Assistant Manager Trainee
Loves Park, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2012.

Interview Details – The district manager called me at 10:00 am and I was at the store for the interview at 1:00 am. He was very friendly and liked to talk a lot. However, within fifteen minutes I figured out that the "asst. mgr. trainee" position was a smoke screen to hire part-time workers for cashiering, stock, etc. He then said that since I was hired with the assumption of being a manager candidate, he would be keeping a close eye on me to make sure I worked hard and went above and beyond to get the job done just to make sure I was manager material. When i asked about hours he said 5-20 hours a week. I then asked about wages, and he said that even though minimum wage was $8.35 he would give me $9.00 because of my education and experience. HE JUST OFFERED A PERSON WITH A MASTERS DEGREE IN EDUCATION .65 ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE!! However, I went on Glassdoor prior to the interview and it turns out that was their hiring base pay. There was no asst. manager job to be had. All they wanted was hard working part time employees which is fine, but not for an educated and experienced person who goes in for a management position. He didn't even ask me any questions because I asked all the questions. He did an excellent job of promoting his role in the business and how great it was to work there.

Interview Question – He didn't ask questions. He just tooted his own horn and bragged about how great it was to work the company.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined it because I went in for an Asst. Mgr. job which is what was advertised. However, it was a smoke screen for part-time work at minimum wage.

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!