Dollar Tree Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2014

1.4

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

The interview process for me was brief. After I was initially called in I spoke with the store manager about my availability and afterwards he told me he would contact me if he was able to find a spot for me. He did, and the rest is history. The atmosphere at our store is okay; some friendly employees, some work hard and some don't. With that being said though you're experience is what you make it.

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar Tree

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2014.

Fill out an application online and bring it into the store, get called for an interview then you will get a call if you've been excepted for the job.

Interview Questions
    • when customers ask question and i don't know the answer.   Answer Question
    It was straight to the point my resume was reviewed by store manager and i was hired on the interview.

Cashier Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

I didn't have an interview, I automatically got the job because my friend worked there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cerritos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cerritos, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2011.

when they are hiring they are hiring they give you an interview its first come first serve with them basically they give you a job very little questions asked no experience needed. after they are done with the 5 or 6 questions they try to sell you on how good the job is and how they is opportunity for to be in management in very little time, which i found to be all lies.

Interview Questions
    • like i said above they dont ask you hard questions they basically hand you a job in hopes that you dont quit in 2 months when you find it to be the worst job you've ever had or will have   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

You have to print out a application from home, they don't give them out in the stores anymore. Then you have to drop off it off at the store you want to work at, to give you the best chance of being hired, you need to give it to the Store manager since they do the hiring. then from there you have to wait to be called, they only call who they want to hire so if you get a call thats pretty much it "you're hired". Each manager has there own process but there usually isn't much of an interview they just want to make sure you are capable to handle the register.

Interview Questions
    • Keep your availability open if you want to make any money at this job.   Answer Question
    none they pay minimum wage for cashiers

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2013.

I saw a hiring sign outside the store, went online and completed the application. I went to the store and gave the manager my application, he told me to come back 2 days later for an interview. The interview was very easy ( and this was my first interview for my first job). He asked easy questions such as, why do you want to work here? Tell me about yourself? What days can you work? what is your career goal? can you handle money? Do you have any experience with a cash register? I didn't have any experience because this was my first job, but I mentioned that I frequently use the self checkout when I go to stores that offer it. He said using the cash register is very similar to using the self checkout so he told me that I do have experience to do the job. He emphasized that he needed people to work on weekends and needed to fill 5 spots; he also emphasized that you only get paid $8 per hour. He pretty much offered me the job on the spot.
    I think I got the job because my schedule was exactly what he was looking for and because he needed to fill 5 empty spots for a cashier position. I was calm and confident during the interview and made sure to give straight forward answers. The manager was a really great and understanding person.

If this is your first job interview ever : Make sure to mention any extracurricular activity or volunteer work that may relate to the job. In my case I made sure to mention that I was a volunteer student tutor at my college and gave a detail description of how I helped other students. Try to act natural and confident and give short, to the point, answers.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company as a whole?   View Answer
    No negotiation, he made sure I knew I would only get $8 per hour. He mentioned it a lot during the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in January 2010.

I honestly got offered the job half-heartedly because I was being pleasant with the cashier who happened to be the store manager. I filled out an application and printed off a resume. My GPA helped her know I had the ability to do simple math. She sat me down for a 5 minute interview at the time I handed in my application. I started the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Do you get along well with more elderly people? (No one under 30 worked at this store.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Livonia, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2011.

It went very smoothly and very fast, they were very professional and just asked the standard questions of " why do you think you'd make a good contribution to our team?", stuff like that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lorton, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lorton, VA

interviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2010.

I actually never had to go through the interview process because the manager, who was later fired, only requested I give her my application and come back in when she gets off vacation to start training.

Interview Questions
    • As stated above, I did not have a formal interview to get my position.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. $7.35 is base pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2010.

I applied by turning in a paper application to the manager. I was contacted by the manager for the interview. At the interview, the manager was friendly and asked me to tell him about myself. Then he offered me the position.

This is what we pay (minimum wage); no room for negotiation.

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!