Dollar Tree

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2014.

Interview Details – Fill out an application online and bring it into the store, get called for an interview then you will get a call if you've been excepted for the job.

Interview Question – when customers ask question and i don't know the answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was straight to the point my resume was reviewed by store manager and i was hired on the interview.

Cashier

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – I didn't have an interview, I automatically got the job because my friend worked there.

Cerritos, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2011.

Interview Details – when they are hiring they are hiring they give you an interview its first come first serve with them basically they give you a job very little questions asked no experience needed. after they are done with the 5 or 6 questions they try to sell you on how good the job is and how they is opportunity for to be in management in very little time, which i found to be all lies.

Interview Question – like i said above they dont ask you hard questions they basically hand you a job in hopes that you dont quit in 2 months when you find it to be the worst job you've ever had or will have   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – You have to print out a application from home, they don't give them out in the stores anymore. Then you have to drop off it off at the store you want to work at, to give you the best chance of being hired, you need to give it to the Store manager since they do the hiring. then from there you have to wait to be called, they only call who they want to hire so if you get a call thats pretty much it "you're hired". Each manager has there own process but there usually isn't much of an interview they just want to make sure you are capable to handle the register.

Interview Question – Keep your availability open if you want to make any money at this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none they pay minimum wage for cashiers

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2013.

Interview Details – I saw a hiring sign outside the store, went online and completed the application. I went to the store and gave the manager my application, he told me to come back 2 days later for an interview. The interview was very easy ( and this was my first interview for my first job). He asked easy questions such as, why do you want to work here? Tell me about yourself? What days can you work? what is your career goal? can you handle money? Do you have any experience with a cash register? I didn't have any experience because this was my first job, but I mentioned that I frequently use the self checkout when I go to stores that offer it. He said using the cash register is very similar to using the self checkout so he told me that I do have experience to do the job. He emphasized that he needed people to work on weekends and needed to fill 5 spots; he also emphasized that you only get paid $8 per hour. He pretty much offered me the job on the spot.
I think I got the job because my schedule was exactly what he was looking for and because he needed to fill 5 empty spots for a cashier position. I was calm and confident during the interview and made sure to give straight forward answers. The manager was a really great and understanding person.

If this is your first job interview ever : Make sure to mention any extracurricular activity or volunteer work that may relate to the job. In my case I made sure to mention that I was a volunteer student tutor at my college and gave a detail description of how I helped other students. Try to act natural and confident and give short, to the point, answers.

Interview Question – What do you know about the company as a whole?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, he made sure I knew I would only get $8 per hour. He mentioned it a lot during the interview.

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in January 2010.

Interview Details – I honestly got offered the job half-heartedly because I was being pleasant with the cashier who happened to be the store manager. I filled out an application and printed off a resume. My GPA helped her know I had the ability to do simple math. She sat me down for a 5 minute interview at the time I handed in my application. I started the next week.

Interview Question – Do you get along well with more elderly people? (No one under 30 worked at this store.)   Answer Question

Livonia, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2011.

Interview Details – It went very smoothly and very fast, they were very professional and just asked the standard questions of " why do you think you'd make a good contribution to our team?", stuff like that.

Interview Question – none, they were all just general and very easy   Answer Question

Lorton, VA

I interviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2010.

Interview Details – I actually never had to go through the interview process because the manager, who was later fired, only requested I give her my application and come back in when she gets off vacation to start training.

Interview Question – As stated above, I did not have a formal interview to get my position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. $7.35 is base pay.

Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied by turning in a paper application to the manager. I was contacted by the manager for the interview. At the interview, the manager was friendly and asked me to tell him about myself. Then he offered me the position.

Negotiation Details – This is what we pay (minimum wage); no room for negotiation.

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in January 2012.

Interview Details – applied in store and the store manager called me within 3 days and scheduled an interview. Went to the interview and hired at the spot, hthe manager was a hispanic with an accent! Lol the store seemed messy and the atmosphere was null...

Interview Question – They told me that the most the company pays a cashier is $7.35! :( i needed the job so i accept it! (Bad decision, so not worth it!)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation! They dont leave u any other option.

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!