Dollar Tree Cashier Interview Questions

1.4

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2014.

I saw the sign in the local store window that they were hiring and went inside, filled out an application in store, and handed it off. About 4 days later I got a call that I could come in for an interview.

The interview itself was more so I sat and listened to her explain that it's a straight forwards job. It is what it is, minimum wage, and part time only with people working 2-4 shifts a week. Each shift is 5-5.5 hrs long so that they don't have to give you a mandatory break. If you go in to cover for someone's shift when they need it you're more likely to get more hours. They do all the paperwork and hiring online. She clarified if I had a car, why I wanted to work there, and how available I was.

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar Tree

Cashier Interview

The interview process for me was brief. After I was initially called in I spoke with the store manager about my availability and afterwards he told me he would contact me if he was able to find a spot for me. He did, and the rest is history. The atmosphere at our store is okay; some friendly employees, some work hard and some don't. With that being said though you're experience is what you make it.

Cashier Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree.

I didn't have an interview, I automatically got the job because my friend worked there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2014.

Fill out an application online and bring it into the store, get called for an interview then you will get a call if you've been excepted for the job.

Interview Questions
    • when customers ask question and i don't know the answer.   Answer Question
    It was straight to the point my resume was reviewed by store manager and i was hired on the interview.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar Tree.

You have to print out a application from home, they don't give them out in the stores anymore. Then you have to drop off it off at the store you want to work at, to give you the best chance of being hired, you need to give it to the Store manager since they do the hiring. then from there you have to wait to be called, they only call who they want to hire so if you get a call thats pretty much it "you're hired". Each manager has there own process but there usually isn't much of an interview they just want to make sure you are capable to handle the register.

Interview Questions
    • Keep your availability open if you want to make any money at this job.   Answer Question
    none they pay minimum wage for cashiers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2013.

I saw a hiring sign outside the store, went online and completed the application. I went to the store and gave the manager my application, he told me to come back 2 days later for an interview. The interview was very easy ( and this was my first interview for my first job). He asked easy questions such as, why do you want to work here? Tell me about yourself? What days can you work? what is your career goal? can you handle money? Do you have any experience with a cash register? I didn't have any experience because this was my first job, but I mentioned that I frequently use the self checkout when I go to stores that offer it. He said using the cash register is very similar to using the self checkout so he told me that I do have experience to do the job. He emphasized that he needed people to work on weekends and needed to fill 5 spots; he also emphasized that you only get paid $8 per hour. He pretty much offered me the job on the spot.
    I think I got the job because my schedule was exactly what he was looking for and because he needed to fill 5 empty spots for a cashier position. I was calm and confident during the interview and made sure to give straight forward answers. The manager was a really great and understanding person.

If this is your first job interview ever : Make sure to mention any extracurricular activity or volunteer work that may relate to the job. In my case I made sure to mention that I was a volunteer student tutor at my college and gave a detail description of how I helped other students. Try to act natural and confident and give short, to the point, answers.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company as a whole?   View Answer
    No negotiation, he made sure I knew I would only get $8 per hour. He mentioned it a lot during the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar Tree in November 2012.

The manager seemed overworked because she had lost her interview question notes, was more interested in taking her lunch break, and was exhausted, noted by multiple comments. Needless to say, the interview took 10 minutes long at best, but in fairness I am not the best interviewee, and was exhausted. I was a little disappointed afterwards, more so because when handing her my application she impressed me with her bubbly attitude and big smile. Still, I had hoped for her call the following day...and still waiting.

Interview Questions
    • Always the "Describe a time when you had an irate customer, how did you deal?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar Tree in August 2012.

Basicaly, my employer/manager just asked if I wanted a job. Five minuet interview and I was in.

Interview was oddly simple, but again, Dollar Tree doesn't care how much exp. you have, only if you have flexable hours and crap. Not much for the interview process or anything, just a simple 1-1 talk.

I was told, "If you want the job you have it."

My advice? NEVER SAY YES TO DOLLAR TREE.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wytheville, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wytheville, VA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2012.

Manager called, said I had an interview. I met her at Dollar tree and we spent about 2 hours completeing all the paper work, forms and signing things. She gave me a booklet about the store and regulations to read and I did. I trained for about two or three days and then was on my own.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashland, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2012.

I applied, got the interview, was hired, and started work all within 3 days of each other.

n/a