Dollar Tree Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

1.8

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laredo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree (Laredo, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

Hiring process took 3 weeks. First I spoke to a recruiter and then I went on to a 1:1 interview with the Market Manager. A week later I was got a phone call with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Analyze a certain situation. Asked to resolve the situation in 5 steps.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianola, MS

Interview

There was no interview really. The manager simply looked at me, at my application and left without saying anything. I never got a call or notification of any kind.

Dollar Tree Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2013.

Interview

They are looking for people who can maintain Shrink, know what that means be able to give specific examples. They also want you to be real, don't tell them you will work 100 hours a week, they want to hear you can do it in 45.

Interview Questions

• They asked detailed positions including addresses of old employers, it caught me off guard and I wasn't sure of a few addresses, but I did get the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I interviewed with 2 DM's they then set me up with a round table interview done via phone, there was 4 people on a conference call that interviewed me. Two days later I was called with an offer. The offer was to work 1 hour and 15 mins from home, I negotiated a closer store and they made it happen. Seems to be really willing to work with you. Also I told them I wanted X amount per year they offered me $6,000 more than I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laredo, TX

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree (Laredo, TX) in March 2008.

Interview

I applied online. Was called for an interview. I was interviewed by the dm. Then by the rm. I was offered the job two days later

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes i was able to negotiate

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2011.

Interview

Referred to recruitment, had pleasant 30 minute phone conversation. After that I was invited to Home Office Interviews, which consisted of a brief tour, lunch, and then 2 case interviews, one behavioral, and one casual chat/debrief interview. Great experience, but know your cases thoroughly, as leadership is very well versed in consulting practices.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Great benefits package, very happy with offer. Start date is only real negotiable aspect.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar Tree (San Antonio, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online,after talking with a store manager, received a call, one to one interview with two senior managers,, good. Third day another with Director,good grilling.done well. Background checks good.Waiting for the offer.

Interview Questions

• Job related,specific, well prepared.How to prevent losses, tough situations, stocking,   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree (Rochester, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

First interview is with DM Second is with Regional Director, Regional Trainer, and Regional HR. The DM interview was easy, the tricky one was the phone interview with the panel of 3.

Interview Questions

• Basic retail scenario questions for the most part. Challenging one was- What was listed as an area of needed improvement in your last review?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berwick, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree (Berwick, PA) in August 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with GM, AGM, and 2 Ops Managers. Asked the usual what would you do scenarios and what kind of experiences I had pertinent to the job. I interviewed with a panel, my first time, and was quite nervous, but felt at home quickly

Interview Questions

• We have OT scheduled this weekend, but I (the employee) do not/can not work... What do you do? And (the employee) did not care about the point system as they had perfect attendance up until this point.   1 Answer

Distribution Center Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree (Virginia Beach, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Very laid back. Just explain your work experience and ways you exhibited problem solving skills along with being people oriented. There were several different interviews that were about 45 min each.

Dollar Tree Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dollar Tree (San Antonio, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I went to a "hiring event" so there was no preliminary phone interview. For this reason I waited an hour for my turn to be interviewed by 2 district managers. The interview questions, with the exception of 1 or 2, seem to be all centered around how well and how fast you could move freight. They wanted to know your experience at moving large amounts of freight. Moving freight seems to be their only concern. Not one question was about your strengths and weaknesses, how well you could lead a team or your ability/experience in cash management. The interview was bizarre to say the least. After the interview I came to the conclusion that the store manager was pretty much a position of a "glorified stock worker" would be abused in terms of the number of hours worked. He/she is the only salaried person on the staff and therefore is exempt from overtime regulations. They are given the title of a "white collar" job but nothing could be further from the truth. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY and just about all dollar type stores.

Interview Questions

• In your past experiences in moving freight what was the average amount of freight that you moved on a weekly basis? Did you ever lead a freight team? If 3 people "called-in" right after you received freight for the week how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question