Dollar Tree Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015

1.8

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laredo, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2010.

Hiring process took 3 weeks. First I spoke to a recruiter and then I went on to a 1:1 interview with the Market Manager. A week later I was got a phone call with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Analyze a certain situation. Asked to resolve the situation in 5 steps.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianola, MS
    Anonymous Employee in Indianola, MS

There was no interview really. The manager simply looked at me, at my application and left without saying anything. I never got a call or notification of any kind.

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2011.

Referred to recruitment, had pleasant 30 minute phone conversation. After that I was invited to Home Office Interviews, which consisted of a brief tour, lunch, and then 2 case interviews, one behavioral, and one casual chat/debrief interview. Great experience, but know your cases thoroughly, as leadership is very well versed in consulting practices.

Interview Questions
    Great benefits package, very happy with offer. Start date is only real negotiable aspect.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laredo, TX

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2008.

I applied online. Was called for an interview. I was interviewed by the dm. Then by the rm. I was offered the job two days later

Interview Questions
    Yes i was able to negotiate

Dollar Tree Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2013.

They are looking for people who can maintain Shrink, know what that means be able to give specific examples. They also want you to be real, don't tell them you will work 100 hours a week, they want to hear you can do it in 45.

Interview Questions
    • They asked detailed positions including addresses of old employers, it caught me off guard and I wasn't sure of a few addresses, but I did get the job.   Answer Question
    I interviewed with 2 DM's they then set me up with a round table interview done via phone, there was 4 people on a conference call that interviewed me. Two days later I was called with an offer. The offer was to work 1 hour and 15 mins from home, I negotiated a closer store and they made it happen. Seems to be really willing to work with you. Also I told them I wanted X amount per year they offered me $6,000 more than I asked for.

Merchant Interview

Phone screen with HR, then VP, then on site interview at headquarters in VA. On site had me meet with about 7 people. Way too long of a day and they all asked the same questions. Very tiring. I had lunch in thier cafe which was really nice. Some of the interviewers from HR were really late for their appointment with me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when your strategy didn't work because of an outside factor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2013.

3 levels but not bad overall

Interview Questions
    • They are all open ended task solution based easy if you have done this type of interviewing in the past   Answer Question
    Typical, very little room for wiggling

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview with district manager. Casual conversation about work experience and details about managing others. Put through to regional manager. Typical questions about handling problems, motivating others, planning and execution of tasks, merchandising product and being able to juggle many things at once. Very laid back atmosphere during interview.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate some.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2013.

I went to a job fair where I had a brief interview. I had a subsequent phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of focus on getting out stock quickly and stock rotation. I was asked if I had worked in a place that had a heavy stock rotation.   View Answer
    Asked for 8k more then where they normally start managers because of my experience, so they had to go up the ladder to get it approved. That took about a week.

Dollar Tree Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree in November 2013.

I posted my resume on the Career Builder web site and I was actually called for an interview by the district manager for the Dollar Tree district operating in my area for an interview. After speaking with the district manager, she asked me to fill out an application for the position before the interview. The job application was on their web side and was pretty straightforward to follow. It included some questions specific to the job and tasks related to the job and some personality questions. I interviewed for the store manager position at one of the local stores and was to meet the DM there for the interview. I arrived about 10 minutes early with my suit on but had to wait about 30 minutes past my scheduled interview time for the interview. The DM was not in the store, but was en route according to the store manager. I was always told to put my best foot forward while interviewing as I was selling myself to a company. But the company one is interviewing at is also suppose to do the same in turn. Making me wait a long time in a store that was dirty and old did not really impress me much and I already had a bad impression of this company before the interview even started. I spoke to the store manager a little while he was stocking shelves. When the DM finally arrived, she did not immediately see me, she spoke to the store manager a little about the condition of the store and I overheard him talking to her about being short staffed and working on this 15th straight day. This also did not leave me with a good impression. During the interview, she wanted to know a little about me and my work exp. Then she went into what the company was offering and very little about what was involved in the job. I had to ask her more details about the job in order to get an idea of what was expected. The most important thing they seem to stress is your ability to put up freight in a store, ie.how fast and how much stock you can put up on the shelves in a certain amount of time. I have 15 years of retail management exp. and if you have lots of exp. in retail management this may not be the best option for you as the store manager job at this company appears to be mostly a glorified stock person position. There was suppose to be a 2nd interview you have after the first which if you make it to, is a panel interview. I never got too this stage as my management and sales skills did not seem important to them. They seemed most interested in my ability to stock shelves.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions during this interview. I did not expect that they place a very high value on your ability to stock shelves fast if you are a store manager.   Answer Question