Dollar Tree

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Getting the Interview

123 candidate interviews

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2010.

Interview Details – Apply online for company positions. You will have to interview with the dm which makes the decision to hire you. My interview was based off of situation questions, typically what would you do if. Your past experience will play a major role on how dm will want to place you. If you have what they think it takes for you to be successful as a store manager than you will most likely go into the training program. If you don't have all the leadership ability they think you need they may offer a assistant position.

Interview Question – What would your employer say your greatest weakness is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your salary there is always some room to get more.

Associate Interview

Redding, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had a recommendation from an assistant manager that I had worked with at another job after finding myself unexpectedly unemployed. The manager seemed almost eager to hire me, though she said "This job is minimum wage." a total of five or more times during the interview. In fact, it all went so quickly I don't even remember if she asked me any real questions of note at all. I think she was trusting her assistant manager fully, which does make me feel kind of bad that I left the job without notice after getting an offer for something better.

Interview Question – It wasn't so much a question, just the frequency at which she mentioned that the job is minimum wage and only about 16 hours a week. I think she uses that as a test to see if the person she is interviewing is desperate enough to work for that little.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Either you accepted the terms, or they found some other desperate person who would, and in this economy there are no shortage of those.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – Promoted within, but always hiring. Interview process is fairly simple. Common question, why do you want to work for the company, expectation. availability.

Negotiation Details – The salary, not much for an adult but better that I was making and needed at the time.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2011.

Interview Details – Was originally brought on as a cashier, so the interview process was fairly easy. I was called in for about a 15-20 minute interview, and was called back the next day with a job offer

Interview Question – most were pretty standard questions   Answer Question

Stocker Interview

Interviewed at Dollar Tree

Interview Details – Easy, just depends on the need and season.

Interview Question – The hours aren't always convenient.   Answer Question

Store Clerk Interview

Willimantic, CT

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in February 2014.

Interview Details – the process was very smooth and swift. the supervisor at the store wasted no time with me in setting up an appointment, and sitting me down for an interview to be hired.

Interview Question – Why do you think Dollar Tree is the job for you? After all, we are only a dollar store   Answer Question

Store Manager
Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair where I had a brief interview. I had a subsequent phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Question – A lot of focus on getting out stock quickly and stock rotation. I was asked if I had worked in a place that had a heavy stock rotation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Asked for 8k more then where they normally start managers because of my experience, so they had to go up the ladder to get it approved. That took about a week.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – Interview with district manager. Casual conversation about work experience and details about managing others. Put through to regional manager. Typical questions about handling problems, motivating others, planning and execution of tasks, merchandising product and being able to juggle many things at once. Very laid back atmosphere during interview.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate some.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Cerritos, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2011.

Interview Details – when they are hiring they are hiring they give you an interview its first come first serve with them basically they give you a job very little questions asked no experience needed. after they are done with the 5 or 6 questions they try to sell you on how good the job is and how they is opportunity for to be in management in very little time, which i found to be all lies.

Interview Question – like i said above they dont ask you hard questions they basically hand you a job in hopes that you dont quit in 2 months when you find it to be the worst job you've ever had or will have   Answer Question

Floor Associate Interview

Floor Associate
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2013.

Interview Details – Submit application, wait for someone to quit , which happens often so you won't wait long. Get called in a month later and say yes or no when they offer you the job. In other words, there is no real interview process, or at least there wasn't for me, which can't be an effective practice for acquiring the right kind of talent for the company. If you have past retail experience, it shouldn't be hard to get any kind of position with them, which are essentially stocking and cashiering.

Interview Question – Can you work the 5:30am shift?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dollar Tree

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree interview questions and advice. All 123 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees and interview candidates.