Dollar Tree

Average Difficulty
141 candidate interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – I interviewed with three store managers. The question were kind of vague and general. Pretty much just tell them what they want to hear. I was offered a job a day after the third interview and accepted

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2013.

Interview Details – Very easy process. Applied online and went in for a very brief interview. Was hired on the spot. New store opening next week.

Interview Question – typical questions   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2013.

Interview Details – I saw a hiring sign outside the store, went online and completed the application. I went to the store and gave the manager my application, he told me to come back 2 days later for an interview. The interview was very easy ( and this was my first interview for my first job). He asked easy questions such as, why do you want to work here? Tell me about yourself? What days can you work? what is your career goal? can you handle money? Do you have any experience with a cash register? I didn't have any experience because this was my first job, but I mentioned that I frequently use the self checkout when I go to stores that offer it. He said using the cash register is very similar to using the self checkout so he told me that I do have experience to do the job. He emphasized that he needed people to work on weekends and needed to fill 5 spots; he also emphasized that you only get paid $8 per hour. He pretty much offered me the job on the spot.
I think I got the job because my schedule was exactly what he was looking for and because he needed to fill 5 empty spots for a cashier position. I was calm and confident during the interview and made sure to give straight forward answers. The manager was a really great and understanding person.

If this is your first job interview ever : Make sure to mention any extracurricular activity or volunteer work that may relate to the job. In my case I made sure to mention that I was a volunteer student tutor at my college and gave a detail description of how I helped other students. Try to act natural and confident and give short, to the point, answers.

Interview Question – What do you know about the company as a whole?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, he made sure I knew I would only get $8 per hour. He mentioned it a lot during the interview.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dollar Tree in June 2013.

Interview Details – My application was in for about a week before I got a call. I interviewed the next day and found out I got the job the next through a phone call. I was told to come in prepared because I might possibly get on the register. We sat in the office for about 2 hours just talking about the job mostly and whats expected of me. We then took a small tour of the store and back room. I watched a couple of videos and was on the register for the last hour. It was really busy and the person watching over me wasn't much help. They acted as though the job was so easy I should pick it up right away even though I've never worked a register.

Overall it's an extremely easy process. Very short, and no drug test. The managers really only care about availability, nothing else. So don't be nervous going into it, anyones qualified for this job and if you seem like you're at least awake and interested you'll probably get the job.

Negotiation Details – Ask questions. They go over everything so fast because they think it's so "easy" but the Dollar Tree has a lot of policies and responsibilities that are sometimes unclear.

PT Cashier Interview

PT Cashier
Clear Lake Shores, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in June 2013.

Interview Details – Printed off the application from the website and turned it in same day. Even though I was trying to make the transition from Retail to Hotel/Hospitality, I decided to see what Dollar Tree could offer me (I spent 4 1/2 years working retail and 1 year working at an amusement park). There wasn't any interview questions; just looking for someone to fill the void before inventory (she said she was initially going to wait until Monday but said it was my lucky day). All I had to do was go home and fill out the W-4 and direct deposit (they get your personal information, SS#, and email address at the store).

I was offered $7.35/hour. Far below the wages of $7.98, $7.75, $8.25, and $8.75, respectively, from previous jobs. I couldn't afford to go back down towards minimum wage since I'm going back to college in July then in the Fall and getting a new car in the coming months (along with paying insurance and gas).

However, I took the offer home and took two days to think it over (had until Sunday evening-Monday morning) and decided it wasn't going to help me at all and will keep looking.

Interview Question – None

Nothing was really asked. Didn't feel a whole lot like an interview. No interview questions were asked.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Too low with my experience. I was looking along the lines of $7.50-$7.75-$8.00/hour

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
West Springfield, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied in person, set up an interview with the manager two days after. After going on a wild goose chase to find her, she took me to her office near the front of the store. Interview was more of a job description than anything. Told me she'd call me tomorrow ("for sure") after she checked with her assistant. Never got a call.

Interview Question – How dependable are you?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – They gave me two over the phone calls and a panel interview with the Hiring Manager and about four others for the new stores they were opening up. They made me feel welcomed and the interview went really well. I would recommend practice on your basic previous job description and how you would improve their company.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult, they just wanted to know about my previous job description and how would I manage their store.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in June 2013.

Interview Details – Will hire anybody.

Interview Question – No questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – You have to print out a application from home, they don't give them out in the stores anymore. Then you have to drop off it off at the store you want to work at, to give you the best chance of being hired, you need to give it to the Store manager since they do the hiring. then from there you have to wait to be called, they only call who they want to hire so if you get a call thats pretty much it "you're hired". Each manager has there own process but there usually isn't much of an interview they just want to make sure you are capable to handle the register.

Interview Question – Keep your availability open if you want to make any money at this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none they pay minimum wage for cashiers

Assistant Manager Trainee Interview

Assistant Manager Trainee
Loves Park, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2012.

Interview Details – The district manager called me at 10:00 am and I was at the store for the interview at 1:00 am. He was very friendly and liked to talk a lot. However, within fifteen minutes I figured out that the "asst. mgr. trainee" position was a smoke screen to hire part-time workers for cashiering, stock, etc. He then said that since I was hired with the assumption of being a manager candidate, he would be keeping a close eye on me to make sure I worked hard and went above and beyond to get the job done just to make sure I was manager material. When i asked about hours he said 5-20 hours a week. I then asked about wages, and he said that even though minimum wage was $8.35 he would give me $9.00 because of my education and experience. HE JUST OFFERED A PERSON WITH A MASTERS DEGREE IN EDUCATION .65 ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE!! However, I went on Glassdoor prior to the interview and it turns out that was their hiring base pay. There was no asst. manager job to be had. All they wanted was hard working part time employees which is fine, but not for an educated and experienced person who goes in for a management position. He didn't even ask me any questions because I asked all the questions. He did an excellent job of promoting his role in the business and how great it was to work there.

Interview Question – He didn't ask questions. He just tooted his own horn and bragged about how great it was to work the company.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined it because I went in for an Asst. Mgr. job which is what was advertised. However, it was a smoke screen for part-time work at minimum wage.