Dollar Tree Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

1.8

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree.

They gave me two over the phone calls and a panel interview with the Hiring Manager and about four others for the new stores they were opening up. They made me feel welcomed and the interview went really well. I would recommend practice on your basic previous job description and how you would improve their company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult, they just wanted to know about my previous job description and how would I manage their store.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianola, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianola, MS

There was no interview really. The manager simply looked at me, at my application and left without saying anything. I never got a call or notification of any kind.

Freight Processor Interview

Basic paper app. and depending if they need someone you get a call in a few days. bring your ID and SScard in case you get the offer so you can do the paperwork right there.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2013.

I saw a hiring sign outside the store, went online and completed the application. I went to the store and gave the manager my application, he told me to come back 2 days later for an interview. The interview was very easy ( and this was my first interview for my first job). He asked easy questions such as, why do you want to work here? Tell me about yourself? What days can you work? what is your career goal? can you handle money? Do you have any experience with a cash register? I didn't have any experience because this was my first job, but I mentioned that I frequently use the self checkout when I go to stores that offer it. He said using the cash register is very similar to using the self checkout so he told me that I do have experience to do the job. He emphasized that he needed people to work on weekends and needed to fill 5 spots; he also emphasized that you only get paid $8 per hour. He pretty much offered me the job on the spot.
    I think I got the job because my schedule was exactly what he was looking for and because he needed to fill 5 empty spots for a cashier position. I was calm and confident during the interview and made sure to give straight forward answers. The manager was a really great and understanding person.

If this is your first job interview ever : Make sure to mention any extracurricular activity or volunteer work that may relate to the job. In my case I made sure to mention that I was a volunteer student tutor at my college and gave a detail description of how I helped other students. Try to act natural and confident and give short, to the point, answers.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company as a whole?   View Answer
    No negotiation, he made sure I knew I would only get $8 per hour. He mentioned it a lot during the interview.

Cashier and Stock Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2013.

Was hired to set up new store and continued working after store opened. I was one of 35 people to begin with. Was one of 6 that was picked to stay on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2013.

Very easy process. Applied online and went in for a very brief interview. Was hired on the spot. New store opening next week.

PT Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clear Lake Shores, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clear Lake Shores, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dollar Tree in June 2013.

Printed off the application from the website and turned it in same day. Even though I was trying to make the transition from Retail to Hotel/Hospitality, I decided to see what Dollar Tree could offer me (I spent 4 1/2 years working retail and 1 year working at an amusement park). There wasn't any interview questions; just looking for someone to fill the void before inventory (she said she was initially going to wait until Monday but said it was my lucky day). All I had to do was go home and fill out the W-4 and direct deposit (they get your personal information, SS#, and email address at the store).

I was offered $7.35/hour. Far below the wages of $7.98, $7.75, $8.25, and $8.75, respectively, from previous jobs. I couldn't afford to go back down towards minimum wage since I'm going back to college in July then in the Fall and getting a new car in the coming months (along with paying insurance and gas).

However, I took the offer home and took two days to think it over (had until Sunday evening-Monday morning) and decided it wasn't going to help me at all and will keep looking.

Interview Questions
    • None

Nothing was really asked. Didn't feel a whole lot like an interview. No interview questions were asked.
        Answer Question

Too low with my experience. I was looking along the lines of $7.50-$7.75-$8.00/hour

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dollar Tree in June 2013.

My application was in for about a week before I got a call. I interviewed the next day and found out I got the job the next through a phone call. I was told to come in prepared because I might possibly get on the register. We sat in the office for about 2 hours just talking about the job mostly and whats expected of me. We then took a small tour of the store and back room. I watched a couple of videos and was on the register for the last hour. It was really busy and the person watching over me wasn't much help. They acted as though the job was so easy I should pick it up right away even though I've never worked a register.

Overall it's an extremely easy process. Very short, and no drug test. The managers really only care about availability, nothing else. So don't be nervous going into it, anyones qualified for this job and if you seem like you're at least awake and interested you'll probably get the job.

Ask questions. They go over everything so fast because they think it's so "easy" but the Dollar Tree has a lot of policies and responsibilities that are sometimes unclear.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dollar Tree in June 2013.

Will hire anybody.

No negotiations.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2013.

There was a job fair for local Dollar Tree stores hiring all positions. First I filled out a standard paper application, then went in for the first interview. The first interview was standard questions like "Why Dollar Tree" and a couple behavioral "How would you..." questions. First interview took about 15 minutes. Second interview was with the district manager and it consisted more about me talking about my experiences and what the job entails. One week later, I got an offer. Haven't decided whether to take it or not, because the pay is atrocious. Barely above minimum wage for a management position is just wrong...but I need the job so I will most likely take it.

No negotiation.