Dollar Tree

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – applied online and was contacted by a DM over 3 weeks later to come in during a job fair. Was greeted by 2 very friendly DMs who turned out to be very nice. Typical interview they are just looking for the right person for the job and part of it was them making sure I understood that the job would be a lot of stocking because the average store moves quite a bit of product.

Interview Question – nothing...go in with confidence. That seems to be what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had applied for a position in the city, but was offered one that was almost an hour away instead. When Dollar Tree hires, DMs hire for their district and that can mean any store in their district. Needed a job that was closer without the commute.

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2010.

Interview Details – Through corporate recruiter. Telephone interview with a regional HR manager. Handed off to district manager who took three weeks to make an initial contact. Went to work as a bench manager (Management Trainee) shadowing another store manager for eight weeks. Very basic stuff that could have been covered in a month or less considering my background.

Interview Question – None. This is basic retail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it, more or less. I was hired at a higher than normal salary level based on my qualifications though.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2013.

Interview Details – Received e-mail 3 months after applying asking to interview me. Interview was in held in the middle of busy warehouse area. I had a group/panel telephone interview a week later.

Interview Question – Really none. The whole thing made it seem they'd looked at my resume and were fairly satisfied my background and experience provided them most of the information they needed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – When asked how I heard about the opportunity I told them I'd employed a search for store manager jobs paying $40,000.00 a year or more. That is then what they offered me. It turns out that is the amount they pay every store manager.

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dollar Tree in December 2010.

Interview Details – interviewing is pretty straight forward make sure to ask as many questions as possible , have a good resume. they tend to be a bit picky.

Interview Question – It was a long time ago but when you are in training to be a store manager you get grilled by a table of like 6 people who ask a ton of questions and scenarios . if you answer right you luck out and get the job but answer wrong or not what they want to hear they move it along .   View Answer

Negotiation Details – pay is what it is none negotiable .its a take or leave deal

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2010.

Interview Details – Apply online for company positions. You will have to interview with the dm which makes the decision to hire you. My interview was based off of situation questions, typically what would you do if. Your past experience will play a major role on how dm will want to place you. If you have what they think it takes for you to be successful as a store manager than you will most likely go into the training program. If you don't have all the leadership ability they think you need they may offer a assistant position.

Interview Question – What would your employer say your greatest weakness is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your salary there is always some room to get more.

Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair where I had a brief interview. I had a subsequent phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Question – A lot of focus on getting out stock quickly and stock rotation. I was asked if I had worked in a place that had a heavy stock rotation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Asked for 8k more then where they normally start managers because of my experience, so they had to go up the ladder to get it approved. That took about a week.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – Interview with district manager. Casual conversation about work experience and details about managing others. Put through to regional manager. Typical questions about handling problems, motivating others, planning and execution of tasks, merchandising product and being able to juggle many things at once. Very laid back atmosphere during interview.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate some.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2013.

Interview Details – 3 levels but not bad overall

Interview Question – They are all open ended task solution based easy if you have done this type of interviewing in the past   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typical, very little room for wiggling

Exton, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in November 2009.

Interview Details – Quite simple, I applied, spoke to the District Manager. And then was hired a day later.

Interview Question – There wasn't any.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2013.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview was with another store manager. The second was with the district manager. Average situation questions. The third was with human resources and is where we discussed salary.

Interview Question – No difficult questions asked. Was standard situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate my salary as their first offer was low.

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!