Dollar Tree

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2010.

Interview Details – Apply online for company positions. You will have to interview with the dm which makes the decision to hire you. My interview was based off of situation questions, typically what would you do if. Your past experience will play a major role on how dm will want to place you. If you have what they think it takes for you to be successful as a store manager than you will most likely go into the training program. If you don't have all the leadership ability they think you need they may offer a assistant position.

Interview Question – What would your employer say your greatest weakness is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your salary there is always some room to get more.

Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair where I had a brief interview. I had a subsequent phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Question – A lot of focus on getting out stock quickly and stock rotation. I was asked if I had worked in a place that had a heavy stock rotation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Asked for 8k more then where they normally start managers because of my experience, so they had to go up the ladder to get it approved. That took about a week.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – Interview with district manager. Casual conversation about work experience and details about managing others. Put through to regional manager. Typical questions about handling problems, motivating others, planning and execution of tasks, merchandising product and being able to juggle many things at once. Very laid back atmosphere during interview.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate some.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in October 2013.

Interview Details – 3 levels but not bad overall

Interview Question – They are all open ended task solution based easy if you have done this type of interviewing in the past   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typical, very little room for wiggling

Exton, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in November 2009.

Interview Details – Quite simple, I applied, spoke to the District Manager. And then was hired a day later.

Interview Question – There wasn't any.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2013.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview was with another store manager. The second was with the district manager. Average situation questions. The third was with human resources and is where we discussed salary.

Interview Question – No difficult questions asked. Was standard situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate my salary as their first offer was low.

Bakersfield, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Dollar Tree in November 2009.

Interview Details – Very informal. Talk about business and use key words such as business acumen, core values, customer experience, shrink, profitable sales, planning and remember that when they ask "who's your most important customer?" Answer "our associates"

Interview Question – When Appleseed is mentioned, elaborate on how detailed you are and planning is a vital part,, Appleseed isvsimplybthe name of their planning tool to process freight and delegate duties   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you are very qualified they will negotiate salary.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – They gave me two over the phone calls and a panel interview with the Hiring Manager and about four others for the new stores they were opening up. They made me feel welcomed and the interview went really well. I would recommend practice on your basic previous job description and how you would improve their company.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult, they just wanted to know about my previous job description and how would I manage their store.   Answer Question

Lake City, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in August 2012.

Interview Details – Sent online resume, received call several days later and arranged to meet dm at one of the stores, he was real enthused about his company and asked very pointed questions about my work experience, particularly what my current job duties entailed. Interview lasted about 90 minutes total and also included a detailed discussion about salary requirements and what the job was exactly, which was to be a "benchmark" position where i would be trained for 2 months and then would be certified to be a store manager under the assumption that the next store available in the district would be mine. Even if store not immediately available i would be paid the same salary regardless and assigned to work in one of the district stores until such a position came open

Interview Question – What was a store project that i was most proud of? What was my most difficult customer and how did i win that customer over.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in August 2012.

Interview Details – Met with the regional manager for the interview, basic managerial questions were asked from my customer service skills to my daily routines on operating a store.. the initial interview with him lasted about 45 minutes, followed up by an interview with the district manager who happened to be in the next room.

Interview Question – What has been the most challenging experience for you as a store manager?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable, but was told salary increases with higher volume stores

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dollar Tree

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees and interview candidates.