Dollar Tree

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – After waiting several weeks to receive a call back after submitting my resume, the interview process turned fast and furious. I received a call from the district manager who scheduled an interview two days later. This was a 30 minute interview, very conversational to cover my experience. Within the next 10 days, I had interviews with an HR rep, training manager and regional. All very basic behavior/competency based questions.

Interview Question – None - all really were basic 'canned' quesiotns   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non- this is our salary

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – They gave me two over the phone calls and a panel interview with the Hiring Manager and about four others for the new stores they were opening up. They made me feel welcomed and the interview went really well. I would recommend practice on your basic previous job description and how you would improve their company.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult, they just wanted to know about my previous job description and how would I manage their store.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2013.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview was with another store manager. The second was with the district manager. Average situation questions. The third was with human resources and is where we discussed salary.

Interview Question – No difficult questions asked. Was standard situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate my salary as their first offer was low.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exton, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in November 2009.

Interview Details – Quite simple, I applied, spoke to the District Manager. And then was hired a day later.

Interview Question – There wasn't any.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2010.

Interview Details – Through corporate recruiter. Telephone interview with a regional HR manager. Handed off to district manager who took three weeks to make an initial contact. Went to work as a bench manager (Management Trainee) shadowing another store manager for eight weeks. Very basic stuff that could have been covered in a month or less considering my background.

Interview Question – None. This is basic retail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it, more or less. I was hired at a higher than normal salary level based on my qualifications though.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details – applied online and was contacted by a DM over 3 weeks later to come in during a job fair. Was greeted by 2 very friendly DMs who turned out to be very nice. Typical interview they are just looking for the right person for the job and part of it was them making sure I understood that the job would be a lot of stocking because the average store moves quite a bit of product.

Interview Question – nothing...go in with confidence. That seems to be what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had applied for a position in the city, but was offered one that was almost an hour away instead. When Dollar Tree hires, DMs hire for their district and that can mean any store in their district. Needed a job that was closer without the commute.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2010.

Interview Details – I meet with the district manager at one of the stores. He told me that there were a lot of experienced out-of work store managers applying for the job.

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2008.

Interview Details – The interview was very low key, yet to the point. The questions were asked in an open format with easy to answer parts. I was made more to feel like I had someone interested in my future than a new employer. This was a well trained, very experienced interviewer.

Interview Question – What did I dislike about my former employer   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, this company has set rates for starting people in specific jobs. I had been persistant at my attempt to join the company, after four applications online, I got the interview and got the job.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in August 2012.

Interview Details – Met with the regional manager for the interview, basic managerial questions were asked from my customer service skills to my daily routines on operating a store.. the initial interview with him lasted about 45 minutes, followed up by an interview with the district manager who happened to be in the next room.

Interview Question – What has been the most challenging experience for you as a store manager?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable, but was told salary increases with higher volume stores

Lake City, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in August 2012.

Interview Details – Sent online resume, received call several days later and arranged to meet dm at one of the stores, he was real enthused about his company and asked very pointed questions about my work experience, particularly what my current job duties entailed. Interview lasted about 90 minutes total and also included a detailed discussion about salary requirements and what the job was exactly, which was to be a "benchmark" position where i would be trained for 2 months and then would be certified to be a store manager under the assumption that the next store available in the district would be mine. Even if store not immediately available i would be paid the same salary regardless and assigned to work in one of the district stores until such a position came open

Interview Question – What was a store project that i was most proud of? What was my most difficult customer and how did i win that customer over.   View Answer

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!