Dollar Tree Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.5

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview

After waiting several weeks to receive a call back after submitting my resume, the interview process turned fast and furious. I received a call from the district manager who scheduled an interview two days later. This was a 30 minute interview, very conversational to cover my experience. Within the next 10 days, I had interviews with an HR rep, training manager and regional. All very basic behavior/competency based questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non- this is our salary

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar Tree

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, NH

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Salem, NH) in February 2014.

Interview

3 level interview process with Store Manager, District Manager and Regional Director. I had to submit to a background check and then undergo a 7 week training program in the training store.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you had to overcome a significant challenge and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview

I was called for an interview 24 hours after I had applied. I interviewed with a district manager, who always dressed in sweatpants, and was very unprofessional. (coming from a well known retailer before this, I was shocked). I was told about the job, the position, and the training, and then asked if I thought I could handle the job. I said yes, so he gave me another time to come back and have an interview with his boss. I came back another day, and he was still dressed in sweatpants and a wrinkly polo shirt. His boss was dressed in a button down shirt and dress slacks, I was a little more impressed in this interview. He mainly asked me questions about how my last employer handled issues, training, etc and if I could get training materials from my previous employer for them to secretly use. Then asked if I could handle the job, I said yes, and they presented me with a job offer on the spot. This was the easiest interview in my life.

Negotiation

I negotiated a few things, very easy, I told them what I wanted and they said ok and made it happen.

Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Exton, PA) in November 2009.

Interview

Quite simple, I applied, spoke to the District Manager. And then was hired a day later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2010.

Interview

Through corporate recruiter. Telephone interview with a regional HR manager. Handed off to district manager who took three weeks to make an initial contact. Went to work as a bench manager (Management Trainee) shadowing another store manager for eight weeks. Very basic stuff that could have been covered in a month or less considering my background.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Take it or leave it, more or less. I was hired at a higher than normal salary level based on my qualifications though.

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Jacksonville, FL) in May 2014.

Interview

Incredibly informal interview process with someone who was preparing for inventory. Wasn't as professional as I'd anticipated, based on my previous experience. I met with a gentleman who was wearing jeans and was less than polished. I was also surprised by the informality of the interview questions themselves.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2013.

Interview

The initial phone interview was with another store manager. The second was with the district manager. Average situation questions. The third was with human resources and is where we discussed salary.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions asked. Was standard situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate my salary as their first offer was low.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Baltimore, MD) in December 2014.

Interview

Met with multiple members of the regional team on a career day. The whole process didn't take longer than 2 hours. Everyone was pleasant and the common dress code was business casual. The more people you meet with, the higher your chances of getting hired. Overall a good experience. They seemed to be very interested in de-stressing the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had a difficult customer. How did you deal with it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2008.

Interview

The interview was very low key, yet to the point. The questions were asked in an open format with easy to answer parts. I was made more to feel like I had someone interested in my future than a new employer. This was a well trained, very experienced interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What did I dislike about my former employer   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, this company has set rates for starting people in specific jobs. I had been persistant at my attempt to join the company, after four applications online, I got the interview and got the job.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview

All she did was bring me in and ask me a few questions, didn't tell me anything real about the job or the store and candy coated everything. The store she stuck me with was a complete disaster but she didn't mention that or several robberies at all!

Interview Questions

• Have you ever run a store with in-based cameras before?   1 Answer