Dominion Resources

Updated Nov 11, 2014
Updated Nov 11, 2014

2.9

GIS Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dominion Resources.

Drove an hour for a one-question interview with a panel of three people. One didn't even bother to make eye contact with me at any point, including when I shook his hand. Unlike any other interview I've been on. Seemed unprepared to answer my questions about the company and said things that were directly opposite what the recruiter had told me. The process was very weird.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing was that they asked me one question.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Dominion Resources in July 2014.

I applied to become an intern for dominion under the diversity internship/scholarship program.

I made it to the stage where I was able to receive an interview. The interview was over the phone. There was no in-person interview. I believe I was told there were 30 scholarships in total that would be given, so I am guessing the number of people they interviewed might have been 50. I am not certain.

The interview was given through a conference line. Only two people were in the conference, one of the was the HR manager, and the other was a previous Dominion intern that went through the process in the past and is now a full-time employee at Dominion.

I was only asked 7 questions. ALL of them were behavioral. None of them were asking if you know about the company (they even told me in the phone that the questions were going to be all behavioral).

The HR manager puts you very at ease. They told me I did not have to answer quickly and could have time to think about my response.

These were the questions (I actually remember them all):

1. Why would you like to work for Dominion/How did you hear about dominion?
    2. Tell us about a challenge that you overcame/a problem you helped solve.
    3. Tell us about a time you worked with a member that did contribute/cooperate with the team.
    4. Who or what has influenced you most in your professional life?
    5. What is a difficult decision you have had to make as a leader? Describe the thought process.
    6. Tell us about a time in which you had to work with a diverse team and how everyone's talents and skills played into the completion of the project..
    7. Tell us about a time in which you went above and beyond what you were asked to do.

Overall, the experience was excellent. I have not heard back yet on whether or not I will become an intern, but for those of you out there wondering about the process, I hope my review helps you succeed.

According to the manager, this is the last step to the internship program application. After this, the committee will decide who to hire and you will receive a call from the manager/director at the dominion branch you would work at, and further discuss your placement and duties.

The scholarship is not applied until after you complete the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Who or what has influenced you most in your professional life?   View Answer
    I DO NOT YET KNOW IF I WILL RECEIVE AN OFFER, I AM JUST WRITING THIS REVIEW TO GIVE AN OVERVIEW OF HOW THE INTERVIEW PROCESS WENT FOR ME

Senior Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dominion Resources in February 2014.

The HR specialist was not prompt in responding to several calls and voice messages to schedule the interview. However, the panel interview was very professional began on time was thorough. We were able to complete the interview in the allotted hour and afterwards I interviewed with the Vice President for an additional 45 min. The secretary escorted me to lobby after the VP interview. It was a good balance between providing information about the job and company and getting to know the panel as it was about them getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • This job requires regularly presenting to executive management, discuss your experience presenting to CEO's etc.   Answer Question

Safety Specialist Interview

phone and face to face

beautiful

Chemistry Intern, Nuclear Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dominion Resources.

I applied through Dominion's career website. I was contact for an initial phone screening that lasted about 20 minutes with an HR person. I was then offered a phone interview with the hiring manager. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and was behavioral based.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you missed a deadline and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Corporate Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dominion Resources in August 2013.

I was a contractor working at a Dominion facility. After a year of employment, my "reports to" at Dominion offered me a full-time position with the company. I filled out a very lengthy application and was submitted for a background investigation, which was done completely in-house over the course of about three days. They reviewed my driving record, credit history, and conducted a criminal history search. Once my background investigation was completed with favorable results, I was asked to come in for an interview later on in the week. The interview panel was comprised of five employees, mostly Coordinators and Managers.

Nothing was negotiated.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dominion Resources in July 2013.

I submitted my resume through a social media, then I was contacted by the HR department. They did an initial assessment of my background and situational questions. Next, a 3 panel interview asking similar situational questions, background experience, and then short assessment of variance analysis. Lastly, an in-depth variance analysis with a business group director.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was how would I react to a waiter at a restaurant if my order wasn't satisfactory to my standards   Answer Question

Salary wasn't as competitive as other offers I received. I tried negotiating a salary similar to other outside offers, but to no avail.

Training Administrator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dominion Resources.

Hiring process takes a long time. Just for the background check to go through takes several weeks. This may only be for Nuclear applicants though. Interview questions are basically situational questions where they want examples of what you did in certain situations.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think any were particularly difficult. I really have a hard time with the question asking what your biggest flaw is.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. They offer a great salary

Reactor Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dominion Resources in May 2012.

My experince consists of a Master degree in radiological science, senior reactor operators license and five years in a commercial nuclear power plant experience. I worked at the research reactor for seven years and as a nonlicensed plant equipment operator for five years.

I started with Domion in 2007 and have recently been promoted to obtain a reactor operators license. The license candidates were chosen by both an interview and a written exam. I performed well on both an have been made an offer.

While my background make me a Direct Senior Reactor operator candidate I choose to become a reactor operator because of the learning curve associated with being an SRO. Work control/ tagging is a tremndous responsibility and I have decided to get my RO license then work on work control skills. Seeing the mistakes made by some Direct SRO's has cause me to question their ability, and demonstrates the importance of knowing your plant.

Interview Questions
    Negotiations in progress. This field demands that we perfom above average, so compensation should be equivalent.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dominion Resources in November 2011.

Contacted by a recruiter, had phone interview with few technical questions, mostly to verify resume. On-site interview was more technical, but easy, no trick questions. Interviewer tried to see if I had hands-on experience in coding and question were basic, mostly around database foreign keys, relationships, some questions about development in VS.

Interview Questions
    • How do you add create custom AJAX control in C#   View Answer