Donovan Data Systems

Donovan Data Systems Interview Questions

2.6

Senior Q/A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Donovan Data Systems in January 2012.

Beware the personality test.

After a phone screen through a headhunter (and quick feedback) I arranged an interview at the NY office. Told I would be there 2 1/2 hours and would me 4 or 5 people. Told to come with photo ID, filled out application and 5 copies of resume. Interview was arranged to start early due to current employement.

Met with friendly HR person who reviewed my resume and asked general screening questions about development and my background. Felt I answered them well. Then I was led to a nearby PC to take a personality test. Test had 3 screens. One was select characteristics about you thought by others, the next was select characteristics you think about you, the third was a 1000 or 3000 word describe yourself comment box.

I was honest, figuring this was just a routine thing and had been told there are no right or wrong answers.

When I was done, I went back to the HR persons office and waited. I was then told I lacked the managerial experience for the position. I was very shocked as I don't particuarly have managerial experience and this should have been observed when the resume was submited before was I phone screened or before I came in.

I think I did not meet their standards on the SURPRISE personality test but they wouldn't admit it. I also feel they didn't give me the candidate a fair chance to sell myself.

Interview Questions
    • Was your testing done in a waterfall or agile environment?   Answer Question

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Donovan Data Systems in October 2011.

There is a technical phone screening where you might have to say a few words about Java. There is a quiz of elementary software questions. Finally, you are interviewed by several other developers (who probably are terrible themselves).

Interview Questions
    Easy Negotiation. They are desperate.

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Donovan Data Systems in May 2011.

Sadly the interview process is in the "Quiz Show" format which I felt was rather shallow and superficial in measuring any candidate's skills. Interviewer had a sheet with questions and responses, and was listening for the correct keywords rather than the explanation of basic Java questions. If you didn't say the right words, the interviewer would fish for a more descriptive answer until you stumbled on them.

No discussion about my technical background, expertise, or experience. Interviewer didn't seem to be able to keep up his end of a technical discussion, so it felt more like an interrogation rather than a two way interview process.

If you're hell bent on passing a Donovan Data Systems interview, memorize the keywords of very basic Java and OOP terminology, and recite those keywords, do not describe what they do or go on a lecture, the interview will go south very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • What is encapsulation?   View Answer
    • What are the two types of Java exceptions?   View Answer
    • What is the difference between HashMap and Hashtable?   View Answer

Senior Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Donovan Data Systems in January 2009.

I learned of a job position from a recruiter. I interviewed with a Product Director, Technology Director and a Business Director. Here are some of the questions I remember:

1) what is your experience working with a team
    2) what is your experience in scoping and designing new products
    3) what is your experience in detail documentation

What was surprising is that they didn't ask me about the media buying industry. I later learned that DDS was the only place to really learn those skills since it was the biggest player in the market.

The interviews were generally casual, which was one of my criteria for a company to interview for. They were cordial.

In addition to the test, they made me take a behavioral test.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to describe a waterflow methodology. This was neither difficult nor unexpected but was the most technical question. Most of the questions were behavioral. They wanted to see if I would fit well with DDS culture.   Answer Question
    It was straight forward. They knew my previous salary and ensured that they went beyond that.

Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Donovan Data Systems in January 2008.

Had a couple of interviews, the managers were subject matter experts and I felt a strong fit with the company right away. You need to really know your stuff (based on experience, not theory).

Interview Questions
    Not much room for negotiation so be clear about what you want upfront.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Donovan Data Systems in June 2007.

I was contacted by a recruiter who later got me an interview with the company. The first day I interviewed with an HR person and a hiring manager. The HR person asked me about 10 situational questions that did not make a lot of sense. Most of those questions should have been asked to a project manager, not a BA. The hiring manager was smart and asked me a lot of questions pertaining to my old job and the process of writing functional specifications and business requirements; he also answered the many questions that I had.
    I was called for a second interview where I met another BA and another manager. This manager started to ask me the same situational questions that the HR person had asked the previous week. The other BA who interviewed me asked what I did on the previous job and answered more of my questions. This BA was very assuming and trying to dig dirt from my previous job...very sneaky.

I left the interview thinking that I had done well....the following week the recruiter said they didn't offer the job without a reason or any feedback. You think that after you spend time doing research for the company, and showing up at their stinky office they would bother giving you some feedback that you could use at another interview.
    In addition, the keep saying how secure the company is, but they never mentioned that they just laid off 100 employees this year. The internet is full of angry employees comments. Just do some research.

THIS WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me of a time where you made a mistake and how you handled it?   View Answer
    • Can you think of a time when you couldn't deliver a project on time and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Donovan Data Systems in January 2007.

First interview with HR rep, then the hiring manager, then if you make it past that you are invited for another interview with the director of the department. Strait-forward questions about your experience, hobbies, software knowledge, advertising knowledge. It really depends on the hiring manager, but it's a pretty simple process.

Interview Questions
    • If you are unsure of how to troubleshoot a client's issue, what will you do?   Answer Question