Dot Hill Interview Questions

2.4

Engineer Interview

Interview

fairly interesting, late mtgs, several peers, two managers, hr, maybe a senior manager? but don't know/recall title exactly. About 2 hours, then took about two wks/(longer? cannot recall exact timing, but to get back in touch about final decision and work to offer letter

Interview Questions

• technical domain based, software oriented, details, experience. Common peers, prior companies   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Dot Hill (Longmont, CO) in April 2012.

Interview

The face-to-face interviews were conducted by 4 or 5 managers, architects, and software engineers. What struck me as strange about these interviews is that they asked me almost no technical questions for a very technical position. One interviewer just vented the whole time about his management and peers which got me wondering why I was even there. I'm always skeptical in interviews when all they do is give you information about the company and don't ask you any questions....one has to wonder if they already selected someone and are just going through the motions or if they disqualify you at first glance.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dot Hill in January 2010.

Interview

uckily, Kamau's family owned cattle, and had a cattle dip -- a bath filled with insecticide -- which they used to treat the cows. Kamau cured himself by dipping his hands and feet in the water. He was able to continue his studies, and went on to attend university in India.
    After successfully launching a number of businesses, Kamau returned to his home village in Murang'a, where he decided to give back to his community. At first, he simply donated food and clothes, but soon he realized the adverse effect jiggers was having on his fellow villagers.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dot Hill (Longmont, CO) in August 2009.

Interview

I was very pleased that my contacts at the company could help get the processes moving quickly. I was invited for a F2F interview with a couple days of finding out about the job.

I initially spoke with the hiring manager on the phone. What they wanted to do was exactly what I was doing for another customer. I had experience that I know no one else had. The community related to the work is very small.

I went in for a panel interview on site. I spoke with the recruiter, who was a very nice man. I spoke with the hiring manager. Then I was subjected to technical questions from two groups of engineers. Most of the technical questions they asked were on obscure C++ topics that were unrelated to actual job. It was as if they were consciously or unconsciously playing a game of 'stump the interviewer'. I was not impressed.

A week passed. I understood that some the technical people in the interview process were convinced that my experience was too much of a design rather than a implementation nature, even though I could prove that was not the case. Apparently, some folks believe that if you resume hints at working on architecture and dealing regularly with non-developers, that means you must have not programmed much.

I had to get ahold of the hiring manager myself. He said that even though he and his team thought that I was technically able to do the job, he thought I would be bored with the position.

Interview Questions

• Can local static variables go out of scope?   1 Answer
    • Programming question: Implement a function to capitalize a string.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dot Hill in April 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with several different people, in both group and one-on-one settings. Overall, people gave me the impression that the company is a good place to work. Even though the pay is somewhat below-market and workloads are heavy, people seem to like it, and find the work and co-workers stimulating and engaging.

Interview Questions

• What accomplishment are you most proud of in your career?   Answer Question
    • Write me a shell script on the whiteboard, and explain it.   Answer Question

Systems Escalation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dot Hill in August 2010.

Interview

Found job, applied on-line. Contacted internal contacts.
    Got interview via phone and at office. Very effective and organizes. 5 hours

Negotiation

Very clean and specific. No unknowns