Dot Hill

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Longmont, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at Dot Hill in April 2012.

Interview Details – The face-to-face interviews were conducted by 4 or 5 managers, architects, and software engineers. What struck me as strange about these interviews is that they asked me almost no technical questions for a very technical position. One interviewer just vented the whole time about his management and peers which got me wondering why I was even there. I'm always skeptical in interviews when all they do is give you information about the company and don't ask you any questions....one has to wonder if they already selected someone and are just going through the motions or if they disqualify you at first glance.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Longmont, CO

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Dot Hill in August 2009.

Interview Details – I was very pleased that my contacts at the company could help get the processes moving quickly. I was invited for a F2F interview with a couple days of finding out about the job.

I initially spoke with the hiring manager on the phone. What they wanted to do was exactly what I was doing for another customer. I had experience that I know no one else had. The community related to the work is very small.

I went in for a panel interview on site. I spoke with the recruiter, who was a very nice man. I spoke with the hiring manager. Then I was subjected to technical questions from two groups of engineers. Most of the technical questions they asked were on obscure C++ topics that were unrelated to actual job. It was as if they were consciously or unconsciously playing a game of 'stump the interviewer'. I was not impressed.

A week passed. I understood that some the technical people in the interview process were convinced that my experience was too much of a design rather than a implementation nature, even though I could prove that was not the case. Apparently, some folks believe that if you resume hints at working on architecture and dealing regularly with non-developers, that means you must have not programmed much.

I had to get ahold of the hiring manager myself. He said that even though he and his team thought that I was technically able to do the job, he thought I would be bored with the position.

Interview Questions

• Can local static variables go out of scope?   View Answer
  • Programming question: Implement a function to capitalize a string.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Dot Hill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dot Hill Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Dot Hill employees and interview candidates.