Dots

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dots in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was supposed to be a group interview comprised of three or four people, but two of them never showed up. The store manager asked a few questions in what way our work history would help us achieve our goals as a company. After a few more regular questions. SHe then began to tell us our roles in Dots and what would be our dat to day goals. She blunt when saying the harder you work the more hours you'll get! When she was done giving us a run down, she gave us a skit where she was a customer and she needed to find a outfit in the next five minutes to go out in. She wanted shoes, accessories, everything. After that part of the interview she tol me and the girl that we would be contacted by another store manager for more details.

Interview Question – Why did I want to work for a retail store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Will they are closing down which so unfortaunate because they are one of the best clothing stores out there. I hope one day someone could bring them back to there prime. My advice dont get too comfortable!

Alexandria, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Dots in July 2012.

Interview Details – Had four interviews one phone with DM and three in person with DM, store and assistant manager. It took them four months to eventually hire me and get me in the system.

Interview Question – They asked questions about your fashion and how you stay updated with the fashion world.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No they were set with an amount.

Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dots in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in the store with the store manager. I recieved a phone call two days later to come in for a one on one interview. I went in for that interview and then was invited to a group interview (this is the last step in the interview process) the group interview was with the DM. After passing that interview I was offered a position.

Interview Question – The DM will give you a scenario and you are to pick an outfit out for the scenario. She will judge you based on your choices.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Staten Island, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dots in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was with Assistant Store Manager. She was friendly, informative, and casual. I was told the sales associate position was only part-time with a limited number of hours but I was happy to hear that it would pick up as the holidays rolled around.

Interview Question – I was told that the clientele was on the "ghetto" side and then asked, how would I deal with a difficulty customer? It was difficult to answer since I had never experienced "ghetto" customers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

West Palm Beach, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dots in July 2013.

Interview Details – I happened to be shopping in the store when I asked if dots was hiring. The store manager immediately said yes and then asked me if i had and retail sales experience I said yes and she handed me a paper application right away. I filled out the app right in front of her it took me about 10 minutes. She took out her scheduling book and scheduled me an interview the following friday. When I got there I wore something fashion forward (a red high-waist pencil skirt with a vertical black and white striped blouse tucked in and black velvet wedged pumps). I didn't know it would be a group interview but it was. After the interview we were asked to sign a background check. I asked if there would be a drug test and the interviewer said no. A week and a half later on a sunday I got a call and the store manager offered me the job. I was asked to come in the following tuesday to do paper work and to provide my ss card and ID.

Interview Question – The interviewer gave an occasion for which we were to go out on the sales floor and create an outfit. Her occasion: A date night at the movies with her fiance where she wanted to look really nice.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got what I asked for

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dots.

Interview Details – Turned in app in store, l got a call back less than a week later, and went in for interview. It was a group interview with 2 other people and store manager was interviewing us. Very easy expected questions, why do you want to work here, your strength and weaknesses, so forth. Then the manager took us out to the sales floor and asked us to put together an outfit for a specific event and show them to her.

Interview Question – Nothing really, asked pretty basic questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After the interview i got a call about a week later after my background check cleared offering me the job. All associates start at minimum wage so there's not much room for negotiation.

Very Difficult Interview

Louisville, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dots in June 2012.

Interview Details – Walked in get application and I spoke to store manager. She told me that I had to print one out from home and bring it in ASAP and we could set up an interview. So I rushed home to and brought back the application within the hour. She said that she'd call after looking it over. After waiting a week, I decided to call. She said she was just about to call and we set up and interview time with an assistant manager. During that interview the assistant seemed very unfocused, not sure, and very much in organized. After a series of questions she had me dress a mannequin after she told me that she had asked me the wrong series of questions and we started the interview over. She also said that i was dressed "cute" ( I was wearing khakis and a polo) but I HAD to dress like a "diva" for the next interview. After about 2 hours of being interviewed they said they would call. After waiting about a week, I called to try to set up a second interview. Again the store manager told me that she was about to call me and we set up a time. I had to wait for two more weeks for that interview. During this interview I had to assist customers and had to answer the first series of questions that the assistant asked me. This interview was about 1 1/2 hours long. I was then told she'd set up a phone interview with the DM, and that she'd call me and tell me what time it would be. The next day I was contacted by the DM and she conducted a very brief interview over the phone. She said that they were going to check my references and do a background check ad call me the following week. So I waited. And about a week and a half later I called. I was then told that they couldn't complete it because they didn't have my social. I wasn't happy that they never called me and I had already been waiting a while and was never called. So I waited another week. Called. Well I had to fill out another background check form. Waited another week. As of Friday was told that she'd call me right back to set up a time for me to come in. Never heard back. I do not like that I'm getting the run around. This is the longest hiring process I ever has been through.

Interview Question – How do you follow fashion?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

San Antonio, TX

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Dots in June 2010.

Interview Details – I basically just walked into the store and asked a girl if they were hiring. Lucky me she was the store manager. She liked me and told me to come in the next day for an interview. Right after the interview she told me that I was hired. A few days later i went into to fill out my paperwork. I was on the schedule the next day.

Interview Question – Have you ever been in a DOTS store before?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dots.

Interview Details – You don't get a call right away. When they do call, they have you come in and ask basic questions about what you've done before as well as why you'd be a great fit for dots and what strengths you'd bring to make you successful there. Depending on the region they may have you interview with a store manager alone or with the district manager as well.

Interview Question – It's not really a question- they have you put together an outfit for a made up situation to get a grasp of your style and how you would do when selecting items for a customer. Other then Guess, I've never heard of a company doing that.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Dots in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was inside the store. I had a 1:1 with 3 different managers. 1st manager began reading questions off a piece of paper, then wrote down my answers. Questions were like "Tell my about your work history?" "Why do you want to work for dots?" What would you do if someone stole something from the store?" "Tell me about a time you when above and beyond for a customer" etc....Then I spoke with the next manager and she asked me the same questions AGAIN, and wrote down my answers. After that I spoke with the District Manager and AGAIN...same process, same questions. If felt this process was a little tiring, since I had to repeat myself 3 times. The whole interview between 3 managers lasted about an hour. Overall, the experience wasn't bad, but I felt it was a little drawn out.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dots

Worked for Dots? Contribute to the Community!