Douglas Emmett

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Douglas Emmett in December 2013.

Interview Details – Everyone was very nice. I was tested on computer skills, spelling, and writing

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I got another offer at a higher salary with better benefits.

Assistant Property Manager Interview

Assistant Property Manager
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Douglas Emmett.

Interview Details – Formal interviews with Property Manager and HR Director, initial then final.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Douglas Emmett?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay range is set and new employees start at the bottom of the pay range, however promotions after a couple of years of excellent service was likely due to new property acquisitions and corporate expansion.

Very Easy Interview

Operations Interview

Operations

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Douglas Emmett in November 2009.

Interview Details – Employer took weeks to arrange an interview. Showed up early and even though the HR admin was available he made me wait 45 minutes past our scheduled time. I was on the verge of walking out but unfortunately I did not. After thirty minutes with the admin he passed me on to the department head... who was 30 minutes late even though he was onsite and available. Once again I almost left and regret not doing so. He put me through 45 minutes more. When this was complete I received an offer letter and accepted.

Interview Question – None. Both interviewers appeared untrained, like they'd read their questions from a pamphlet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated with the department head and was given an offer letter with my desired salary. After I'd put in my two weeks notice at my prior employer the department head called back to tell me the COO had personally intervened and reduced the offered salary by five thousand dollars, even though he knew I'd already accepted. At that point I was forced to suck it up as I had already terminated employment with my prior company. Terrible, unethical behavior from an established company, and a preview of what the next two years would be like.

Project Manager & Designer Interview

Project Manager & Designer
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Douglas Emmett in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied to a Monster job ad and I got a phone call from a HR rep the same day and scheduled an interview for that Thursday of the week. At the interview, I first met with the HR rep and he showed me to the conference room and gave me some advice about the interview. Then the Director of Design & Construction met with me and she conducted the interview. She asked me some questions about interior design and explained the position in more detail. After the interview concluded, she wanted me to meet with the COO the same day, but unfortunately he was not available to meet at that given time. I rescheduled to meet with him the following day.

The second interview were both with the COO and the Director of Design & Construction. The COO asked me if I understood what the position entails and about my compensation. T

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got offered the job the same day as my last interview. Unfortunately, I did not try to negotiate and the offer was much lower than I had hoped.

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant

The process took a day - interviewed at Douglas Emmett in October 2009.

Interview Details – Met with 5 different managers one after another in an exhausing 2.5 hour process. Was asked basic interview questions, nothing surprising. After passing each manager I would be invited to meet with the next one up. Each manager would ask me the exact same questions so the interview became much easier with each person I met. One of the questions was "name a weakness of yours" followed by "name a strength." they talked a lot about the company and what they do, including benefits and such. Looking back on it it seems they were trying to distract from the fact that they don't want to pay a decent salary even though they stressed they wanted someone to stay at least two years.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Even though I discussed my salary expectations, and was given an agreement by the managers the hr rep still offered me a very low salary. Especially compared to what other companies are paying accountants in LA Douglas Emmett was just trying to get a good deal

Worked for Douglas Emmett? Contribute to the Community!