Dow Chemical

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.9

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2008.

very courteous and very efficient. Good people. Seemed to be very busy group. Research oriented atmosphere combined with engineering application situation.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2011.

The interview started with a series of technical questions to evaluate my financial proficiency. Personally this was my first interview of the interview season and I stumbled a bit. I was asked to calculate WACC, CAPM, Free Cash Flows and asked to describe how certain income statement changes would affect Operating Cash Flows. 45 minute interview, 30 minutes of technical questions, 10 minutes of "fit" questions and 5 more minutes for me to ask them questions.

The interviewers were pretty serious, both ex engineers. Not a very affable group.

Senior Analytical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Chemical in March 2010.

First contact was through the phone for a short interview with human resources. They asked generic information about your skills, background, previous employers etc. Then, I was contacted by the supervisor for the position I was applying for to tell me they selected me for an in-person interview. A date was set up and I was given a person to contact to arrange for travel and hotel expenses to be covered. It was indicated to me that I needed to give a 1 hour seminar and would be interviewed by a range of different people with a wide range of different backgrounds.

The day of the interview I was picked up at the hotel and brought to the interview location. After arriving, I met with a person from Human Resources and the supervisor for the position to discuss how the interview will proceed and discussed the scedule for the interview. There was a 1 hour seminar, 5 group interviews with two employees interviewing me (one of which was done remotely with two people on the phone at a different site) that were 30 min each, and a 1 hour interview with the two supervisors directly above the position. In the 30 minute interviews, I was interviewed by other people currently in the same position I was applying for, people below the position in technician roles, technical people in another group that I would be interfacing with, and supervisors.

The questions I was asked were generally split into four categories: Technical Knowledge about the job I was applying for, technical knowledge about past experience and my seminar topic, scenario qeustions designed to test how well I work on my feet, and "HR" questions about teamwork, leadership, conflict resolution, and integrity. The HR questions were fairly generic versions of what you can find online such as "Tell me about a time that you had a conflict with a coworker and how it was resolved?", "Do you prefer to work in teams or on your own?", "Give an example of a time that you exhibited leadership in a role" etc.

After the interview it was about 2 weeks before an offer was made.

Interview Questions
    • Descripe a situation where you and a co-worker had a significant conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The package offered was competitive and I was happy with it.

Global Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in March 2009.

Approached by head hunter, I was offered a phone interview with my boss from Midland. After that, a HR person called me to talk about the salary and benefit. Later, I met the division VP in NYC. And then, I flied to Midland for last round interview with my immediate boss and other subordinates. Finally, the HR person came back with the final offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you leave Momentive where you had spent 15 years with?   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2013.

Just got the on-campus interview after submitting the cv

I&E Co-Op Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dow Chemical in July 2013.

I received a phone call after having applied for several electrical and I&E jobs, Which due to my lack of Experience I did not obtain however since this is a co-op or internship they finally called me in for a 7 person panel interview. I was asked several instrumentation questions however due to the Dow strict control guidelines I can not specify which they are. I was also asked about 15- to 20 personality questions and about 20 technical questions. They took turns asking me different things.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you noticed someone doing something wrong. What did you do and how did that person take it or handle it?   View Answer

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2013.

So I spoke to them at our on-campus career fair, applied through my career center, and also applied on their website (which you are required to do in order to be considered).
    I was chosen for an interview and there were two interviewers. Both who I had already seen at the info session the night before. They started off by introducing themselves, what their positions were at Dow and then they asked me the "tell me about yourself" question. After that, they go straight into the behavioral questions and they asked me either 4 or 5 behavioral questions in a 30 min interview. Some of the questions included (may not be completely accurate because this is off the top of my head):

-Describe a time when you had to work with people from different backgrounds in order to complete a project.

-Describe a time when you didn't know the answer to something and how you sought about resolving it.

Can't remember if there was a fifth one, but after that they asked you if you had any questions to top off the interview.

Interview Questions
    • -Describe a time when you promised more than you could achieve on a project and how you handled the shortcoming.   View Answer

Applications Development Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

Extremely lengthened process... lasting 4-6 months, generally through internal referrals / hiring agencies.
    Various stages of interviews by hiring manager, functional head, hr, all taking their sweet time.

Interview Questions
    • It was a question which I had to ask: My role clarity & wasn't satisfactorily answered in initial stages.   Answer Question
    Needed to & fro negotiations

Chemical Engineering Co-op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2012.

Dow Chemical has a location about 20 minutes from my university (LSU) so they recruit heavily here. I went to a "networking reception" that the university's career services put on the night before the fall career expo solely to speak to and show my face to the representative from Dow. Prior to the networking reception I researched who would be conducting the interviews for ChemE students so that I could speak to them specifically that night. The next day at the fair I spoke to the same representative again as well as one more. I brought with me two letters of recommendation, copies of my resume, and a copy of my official transcript that I requested from the university. The letters of recommendation I'm sure made a great difference in my competitiveness for the position. One letter was written by a Chemical Engineer my family has known for ~30 years and who has practically watched me grow up. The second letter was from my high school drafting teacher who is a former Process Engineer at Shell Oil. He was very familiar with my work all throughout high school and more than happy to write a recommendation for me. A week after the career fair I received information from Dow requesting an interview with me on campus. I also received an invitation to an information session they were hosting on campus that they said might benefit us as it could be considered a pre-interview. After the information session I spoke again with the same representative I had spoken with before and just made a little bit of small talk and asked some questions I really didn't need answers to about the interview in a few days and confirmed that the same representative I had already had the opportunity to speak casually with 3 times would be conducting my interview. The interview itself was much more difficult than interviews I had with ExxonMobil, Marathon Petroleum and a few other companies. Fortunately it was my last interview of the semester and as such I had been pretty practiced in answering behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't receive any technical questions. The representative did ask "When was some time you realized that the work you were doing on a project was going completely wrong or not going the way you planned?" "When was a time working in a group where you had to assume authority because of the actions of another member?" The representative also asked the typical positive behavioral questions in addition. The negative ones were harder for me because it is hard to speak about something negatively without appearing to speak negatively about yourself indirectly.   Answer Question
    I intended to interview looking for a summer internship for the summer of 2013 but I received a call about 2 weeks after my interview (the representative told me I could hear back from them in 2-8 weeks) offering me a position on an alternating term co-op starting in the summer of 2013 and extending to the spring of 2013 and the fall of 2014. I accepted the offer because I believe the co-op is a fantastic opportunity for me personally to gain a great amount of experience at the company despite delaying my graduation a full year.

I told them in my interview that I was open for consideration for either a co-op or a summer internship.

Applications Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dow Chemical.

first give a seminar for 45 mins and then 15 min's Q&A. Followed is one-one interview with people from different levels, including hiring manager. Behavior questions mostly. Very nice talking though.