Dow Chemical

198 candidate interviews

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2013.

Interview Details – Just got the on-campus interview after submitting the cv

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Midland, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview started with a series of technical questions to evaluate my financial proficiency. Personally this was my first interview of the interview season and I stumbled a bit. I was asked to calculate WACC, CAPM, Free Cash Flows and asked to describe how certain income statement changes would affect Operating Cash Flows. 45 minute interview, 30 minutes of technical questions, 10 minutes of "fit" questions and 5 more minutes for me to ask them questions.

The interviewers were pretty serious, both ex engineers. Not a very affable group.

Engineering Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2008.

Interview Details – very courteous and very efficient. Good people. Seemed to be very busy group. Research oriented atmosphere combined with engineering application situation.

Interview Question – Past work experinece for this position   Answer Question

Global Marketing Manager Interview

Global Marketing Manager
Albany, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Dow Chemical in March 2009.

Interview Details – Approached by head hunter, I was offered a phone interview with my boss from Midland. After that, a HR person called me to talk about the salary and benefit. Later, I met the division VP in NYC. And then, I flied to Midland for last round interview with my immediate boss and other subordinates. Finally, the HR person came back with the final offer and I accepted.

Interview Question – Why did you leave Momentive where you had spent 15 years with?   Answer Question

Senior Analytical Specialist Interview

Freeport, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dow Chemical in March 2010.

Interview Details – First contact was through the phone for a short interview with human resources. They asked generic information about your skills, background, previous employers etc. Then, I was contacted by the supervisor for the position I was applying for to tell me they selected me for an in-person interview. A date was set up and I was given a person to contact to arrange for travel and hotel expenses to be covered. It was indicated to me that I needed to give a 1 hour seminar and would be interviewed by a range of different people with a wide range of different backgrounds.

The day of the interview I was picked up at the hotel and brought to the interview location. After arriving, I met with a person from Human Resources and the supervisor for the position to discuss how the interview will proceed and discussed the scedule for the interview. There was a 1 hour seminar, 5 group interviews with two employees interviewing me (one of which was done remotely with two people on the phone at a different site) that were 30 min each, and a 1 hour interview with the two supervisors directly above the position. In the 30 minute interviews, I was interviewed by other people currently in the same position I was applying for, people below the position in technician roles, technical people in another group that I would be interfacing with, and supervisors.

The questions I was asked were generally split into four categories: Technical Knowledge about the job I was applying for, technical knowledge about past experience and my seminar topic, scenario qeustions designed to test how well I work on my feet, and "HR" questions about teamwork, leadership, conflict resolution, and integrity. The HR questions were fairly generic versions of what you can find online such as "Tell me about a time that you had a conflict with a coworker and how it was resolved?", "Do you prefer to work in teams or on your own?", "Give an example of a time that you exhibited leadership in a role" etc.

After the interview it was about 2 weeks before an offer was made.

Interview Question – Descripe a situation where you and a co-worker had a significant conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The package offered was competitive and I was happy with it.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Dow Chemical.

Interview Details – met them at the career fair and applied. they called me, and asked basic questions about myself; nothing too out of the ordinary. Then they called me for an interview at the site, and it was all behavioral questions. They're extremely nice and want to help you succeed in the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Chemical Engineering Co-op Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2012.

Interview Details – Dow Chemical has a location about 20 minutes from my university (LSU) so they recruit heavily here. I went to a "networking reception" that the university's career services put on the night before the fall career expo solely to speak to and show my face to the representative from Dow. Prior to the networking reception I researched who would be conducting the interviews for ChemE students so that I could speak to them specifically that night. The next day at the fair I spoke to the same representative again as well as one more. I brought with me two letters of recommendation, copies of my resume, and a copy of my official transcript that I requested from the university. The letters of recommendation I'm sure made a great difference in my competitiveness for the position. One letter was written by a Chemical Engineer my family has known for ~30 years and who has practically watched me grow up. The second letter was from my high school drafting teacher who is a former Process Engineer at Shell Oil. He was very familiar with my work all throughout high school and more than happy to write a recommendation for me. A week after the career fair I received information from Dow requesting an interview with me on campus. I also received an invitation to an information session they were hosting on campus that they said might benefit us as it could be considered a pre-interview. After the information session I spoke again with the same representative I had spoken with before and just made a little bit of small talk and asked some questions I really didn't need answers to about the interview in a few days and confirmed that the same representative I had already had the opportunity to speak casually with 3 times would be conducting my interview. The interview itself was much more difficult than interviews I had with ExxonMobil, Marathon Petroleum and a few other companies. Fortunately it was my last interview of the semester and as such I had been pretty practiced in answering behavioral questions.

Interview Question – I didn't receive any technical questions. The representative did ask "When was some time you realized that the work you were doing on a project was going completely wrong or not going the way you planned?" "When was a time working in a group where you had to assume authority because of the actions of another member?" The representative also asked the typical positive behavioral questions in addition. The negative ones were harder for me because it is hard to speak about something negatively without appearing to speak negatively about yourself indirectly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I intended to interview looking for a summer internship for the summer of 2013 but I received a call about 2 weeks after my interview (the representative told me I could hear back from them in 2-8 weeks) offering me a position on an alternating term co-op starting in the summer of 2013 and extending to the spring of 2013 and the fall of 2014. I accepted the offer because I believe the co-op is a fantastic opportunity for me personally to gain a great amount of experience at the company despite delaying my graduation a full year.

I told them in my interview that I was open for consideration for either a co-op or a summer internship.

Chemical Engineer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Dow Chemical in January 2012.

Interview Details – I had one interview with Dow before they extended me an internship position. The company representative was really nice, he just went down my resume and asked me to go into detail. He quickly moved onto letting me answer questions, so I'm glad I had a lot to ask. It seems that the company has a really happy culture, but the company does not want to attract anyone who is only in it for they money, so their offer was actually one of the lowest ones I received.

PhD Chemistry Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dow Chemical in December 2011.

Interview Details – It was really nice experience to have.
I was with Dow for three days at both locations (Midland and Freeport).
Interviewers are really nice and very brilliant. The process is bit hectic because you just lose count of interviews. It depends on the number of units interested in your profile.
I am glad that I got offers from both locations. They take a good care of interviewee. I am looking forward to join the Dow workforce.

Work culture and growth opportunity:
Dow seems to be the best place to work for.
It has much broad interest compared to other companies.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Risk Assessment Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Chemical in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was first interviewed by phone and than during a conference. It was supposed to be an informal interview but became formal and with lots of technical details.
Was nice but deeper than I thought.
They asked me questions like "tell me about your past experiences in science mostly"

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dow Chemical

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dow Chemical interview questions and advice. All 198 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dow Chemical employees and interview candidates.