Dow Chemical Interview Questions

2.9

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Collegeville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collegeville, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2013.

The initial interview through campus recruiting was conducted in a professional manner with both scientific and behavioral questions. Your application during recruitment enters a pool for all of Dow's businesses to select from. Analytical Sciences brought me in for a site interview in Collegeville, PA. The site felt a bit empty at the time, but Dow will grow into it. The employees were hospitable and very willing to answer my questions, and made it clear that I need to feel as comfortable with them as they do with me. The full-day interview was exhausting, and the turn-around time for a response was a bit slower than their estimate (4 weeks instead of 2), but all-in-all the interview was very good experience that unfortunately did not turn out in my favor.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions usually spawned from the disconnect between my research and their expertise. Questions can be challenging to answer without knowing exactly what the interviewer knows already. For example, the "lingo" can be very different for similar ideas- be prepared for a lot of this, as Dow is a very diverse company of people with many scientific backgrounds.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Submitted resume through school, interviewed and received call within a week. Not very difficult interview. They want to see you're good with people, you have decent grasp of technical skills, and you're willing to learn.

Ph D Chemistry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Dow Chemical in August 2014.

I submitted my resume, cover letter & research description through my University career center. I heard that I got an interview within a few days of the close of the application process. The interview was about 1 week later. Prior to my interview they contacted one of my references for a letter of rec. The interview was with current PhD scientists at Dow, not HR people. I haven't heard back from them since the interview, which I'm assuming means I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in industry? Can you tell me about a time you initiated a collaboration?   View Answer

Senior Engineer for IT Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Chemical in August 2014.

I was referred by consultancy for that position. 1st round of interview was through phone.
    Technical questions ware very few and easy. Then they asked to visit DOW’s office for F2F rounds.
    In this round, mostly I asked questions about job roles and position. Next two round ware Client Interaction mainly based on process related questions.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question neither Technical nor Process or HR Related. Questions was like do you know about X technology ? , Did you did X task ?, How do handle this situation?, What is your weekness?   View Answer

They offered way less than the initial expectation which I already informed them.

Research and Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

on campus interview, took about an hour, interviewer was really nice and share his own experiences at Dow. The questions are not difficult. They basically follow your resume. Better prepared some graphical abstracts of your research, it will help a lot when you try to explain your work. They also asked behavior questions such as teamwork and leadership but after all those questions are still related with the projects that you have been working on.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected, most related with research, some behavior questions about collaboration and leadership   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Dow Chemical in July 2014.

I filled out an online requisition / application on Dow's website. (I happen to like Dow's job board and application process, by the way; it is quite slick and works very well.) I had to take a technical aptitude test during the application process, which I enjoyed. A couple days later I received an email saying Dow wanted to set up a phone interview with me. I responded to the email and set up a time, which was about a week later. When the interviewer contacted me, she was very nice, but she wasn't the hiring manager, therefore the answers I gave her were being recorded both by phone and by her typing my answers. She had canned questions. She was feeling me out and testing, mainly, my soft skills. She asked about ten questions, of which about half could have been answered by looking at my resume. The interview took about 30 minutes. After it was after, she thanked me and told me I could check the status of my application online, and I could also call an 800 number and inquire, but only after a period of about two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Canned questions regarding the time I "handled a challenging situation on the job", and "what one thing makes me stand out against my peers". None of the questions are necessarily difficult, but these are the kind of questions that are difficult to answer because it's hard to know *exactly* what any given employer is looking for.   Answer Question

Piping Engineering Interview

Shortlisted in basis of CGPA.Followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview. Two month internship followed by PPO offer.

Personal interview had a technical round flowed by a human resource round.The people were friendly. The questions were not really difficult.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Freeport, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2013.

Dow came to my university and held approx. 40 minute 1:1 interviews, which consisted first of a brief presentation of my research. I found my interviewer to be friendly and not especially probing on this first interview. He mostly had questions about my research, then gave me the gist of an information session I had missed the day before. He followed up a few days later by phone. A second phone conversation came a week later with another recruiter. Again, he wasn't that probing and gave more information about the company and worked with me on where within Dow I would be a good fit.
    Two weeks later, I flew out for the on-site interview. After breakfast at the hotel with my host, I went over to the lab at core R&D and gave a presentation of my research, which was well received. The rest of the visit consisted of a lab and facilities tour, lunch and several 1:1 interviews with employees at various levels, as well as the manager. These mostly went very well with a couple of exceptions. The interview with the program director made me the most nervous. I caught myself elaborating too much. I left with a good feeling overall but an offer never came and my email inquiries were not returned.
    In truth, it was my first ever on-site interview and initially I was mostly along for the ride as I wasn't in any immediate need for a job. About halfway through, I got more serious about working there but I guess the first impression I gave wasn't strong.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Terneuzen (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terneuzen (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Dow Chemical in December 2013.

I applied for an internship position and received an email about 1 week later, to schedule an interview.
    The first interview was over the phone, and it went very well. No tough questions, and they made me feel at ease.
    For the second interview, I was invited to the company, and that went well as well. I cannot recall any questions that made me trip. The questions were mostly intended to ascertain my ability to perform well, and to make sure that the scope of the proposed project was okay for the given time frame.

Warning: Dow is a very big company, so my experience might be different from yours. Don't assume that yours will be easy as well. I think I just got lucky.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have any difficult or unexpected question, to be honest.   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Freeport, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Dow Chemical in July 2014.

Contacted by HR recruiter via LinkedIn. Applied online. Got invited to an interview event. Two consecutive group panel interviews; 3 people for the first, 4 for the second. Typical behavior questions.

Interview Questions

Have a better offer from another company.

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!