Dow Chemical

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.9

Entry Level Interview

interviewed at Dow Chemical in March 2014.

My friend got me an interview. I probably would have never gotten a chance if I didn't know the right person because my gpa wasn't what I would call good.

I found a better job

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

I was contacted to set up an interview through telephone. They did note that most of their interviews were performed in person. They contacted me promptly 5 days after the interview with their decision. They asked a lot of specific behavioral questions, particularly about teamwork experiences. They seemed to emphasize having worked in diverse groups.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to describe a time I worked from someone with a different background from myself and how their background contributed to our success.   Answer Question

Instrument Tech Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical in December 2014.

I have really enjoyed the hiring process. You put your app in and take the aptitude test, the xall for a phone interview, then schedule a face to face. Each steap is very upfront and informative

Senior Analytical Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in March 2014.

First was the phone screening process; where they asked series of basic aptitude questions. Followed by the in-person interview with a group of people; where they had asked all types of question related to the industry, my background, work ethics, technical and personal.
    And then another round of interview, mostly short listed people were asked in-depth questions about my past experience followed by the offer letter. The whole process took about three months.

Interview Questions
    • What do I feel about the future of the company i applied for?   View Answer
    Always negotiate before getting hired and while you receive an offer letter.

Research Scientist Interview

Campus interview in Sep. Got notice of onsite interview in Oct. Onsite interviewed in Dec and got the offer 3 days after the interview. Good experience. Nice people. Base salary the same across all the locations in US for all fresh PhD graduates. Heard some other sites had hiring freeze.

Interview Questions
    • Which research group would you choose if you want to do a post-doc?   Answer Question

Supply Rotational Program Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

Interview was pretty basic. There was a one hour time slot with 45 minutes of questions and 15 minutes left to ask questions. Interview had two interviewers, the coordinator of the program and someone who went through the program.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral based so nothing too difficult. The most unexpected had to be "tell me about a time you handled something poorly and what you learned from it"   Answer Question

Tech Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2013.

The interviews were generally STAR based to discover whether or not you were a good fit for the company. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't run me through any of those ridiculous competency tests. Isn't that a point of a degree? That you are competent enough to handle complex work? Dow seems to agree with this philosophy of trusting your transcripts and not wasting time and resources to test you.

Interview Questions
    • I got the cliche "what do you consider to be your greatest weakness?" question.   View Answer
    I didn't feel inclined to negotiate since the salary and benefits were better than I would have negotiated for.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Obtained an interview through the university recruiting, there was an online portal to connect with Dow through university career services. Attended an evening information session about the company after selection for an interview. It was a 45 minute interview consisting many of behavioral questions. I was given 5 minutes at the beginning to succinctly describe my research (I brought along 1 slide for a visual) and this was supposed to be more general and easy to understand. They asked me a couple questions about my work and then started with the behavioral sections, asking about specific instances I'd encountered in my previous work, strengths, difficulties, coworker interactions etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you disagreed with your advisor, and how you overcame this difference in opinion.   View Answer

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in November 2014.

2 phone interviews after submitting resume. Interviewer is really kind, so I could tell my story without hesitation. Questions are mostly resume-related. You have to consider STAR telling way. It would help interviewer to understand easily. Each interview took one hour. 30 minutes interviewer asked me, and 30 minutes I asked her.

Core R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dow Chemical in November 2014.

Was selected through campus hiring, the interview process involved technical seminar + 5 one-on-one interviews. There is a mix of technical and behavioral interviews. The Fellows can ask very technical questions depending on your seminar. Overall the people in the department seemed very nice and friendly, the manager was very direct in answering the questions. My assessment is it was good to highlight relevant skills and teamwork in the presentation you give first thing in the morning on the day of your interview it generally sets the tone for the day.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about science project you regret not taking up during your PhD?   Answer Question

Was not keen on shifting to Midland, MI.