Dow Chemical Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015
Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.8

Instrument Tech Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical in December 2014.

I have really enjoyed the hiring process. You put your app in and take the aptitude test, the xall for a phone interview, then schedule a face to face. Each steap is very upfront and informative

Entry Level M&E Engineer Interview

There were 2 rounds of interview - on campus and on site. Regardless of role, for entry level positions, the questions were essentially the same. Mainly behavioral questions revolving around core values within the company and a simple technical question related to the technical qualities desired for the role. Most questions were standard 'tell me of a time when you had to overcome some weakness/setback', 'talk to me about your greatest accomplishment', '...work on a team' etc.

PhD Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

On-campus interview followed by on-site interview where I had a full day interview process including meetings with different team members and also a talk about my research. There was a dinner involved as well

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your strengths and more importantly what are your weaknesses? (They pushed on the weakness parts)   Answer Question

Detailed Production Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

S.T.A.R. process ... Situation, Task, Action, Results. All behavior based inferences. Also, in group session during face to face interview, the group asked technical questions regarding past job and discussed skill sets listed on resume and how it correlates to the role.

Interview Questions
    • All softball questions as I was overqualified for the job and had no problem answering them.   View Answer
    No negotiation for Admin level jobs ... it's whatever HR thinks it should be.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

Campus interview, manager ask some typical behavior question and discuss your research. It depends on who are interviewing. Some are nice and there are a lot interactions. It's a nice experience.

I/S Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Chemical.

It was horrible. I think the guy brought me in just to devalue my degree and in a sense tell me he will never hire from Northwood University and only top schools. He did not take any time to listen except once when he, being the hiring manager, told me I shouldn't have prepared for this. I was confused when he said this as I don't know how someone could necessarily prepare for an interview. He continued with "you seem to be well spoken". This would probably be due to the fact that I am well spoken. He had three other employees (no, they are not relatives but rather people I have worked with before) offering recommendations for me. The moral of the story is I guess I should of went to a different school.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any. I felt like I was brought in just to be diminished and was able to handle each question. Perhaps maybe too well as "I seemed too well spoken".   Answer Question

Phd Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dow Chemical in November 2014.

Overall, the interview process was a very good experience. About one month after my on-campus interview at my university, I received a phone call from an HR rep inviting me for an on-site interview. The HR rep suggested a specific date a few weeks out and asked if it would work for me (rather than offering several dates and allowing me to choose). I agreed to the suggested date, but I did not at all get the impression that it would have been a problem if I needed a different date. Soon after this phone call, I received an email with all the details about what information was required of me and when it was needed, who my host would be, the general schedule for my trip, etc. Dow utilizes a travel agency to book all travel (and all costs are covered by Dow), so it was very easy and quick to book my airfare, hotel, rental car, etc. A couple days later, my host contacted me via email to introduce himself, provide contact information (which I already had from the HR rep), and offer to answer any questions I might have. About a week before my trip, I received a detailed itinerary for the interview, which consisted of meals with my host or other employees, a 1-hour seminar I was to deliver about my PhD research, and the remainder of the day being filled with 45-minute one-on-one "interviews" with various members or directors for the groups that were considering me as a candidate; typically, these one-on-one sessions were more or less informal discussions about my research and leadership experience with plenty of opportunities for me to ask questions, rather than formal interviews with a lot of "Tell me about a time when..." questions. All in all, I came away having learned a lot about the diversity of technical backgrounds of Dow employees as well as the many industries to which Dow R&D contributes. I was told they typically try to let candidates know if they will receive an offer or not "within a week or two".

Core R&D Interview

Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI

Was selected through campus hiring, the interview process involved technical seminar + 5 one-on-one interviews. There is a mix of technical and behavioral interviews. The Fellows can ask very technical questions depending on your seminar. Overall the people in the department seemed very nice and friendly, the manager was very direct in answering the questions. My assessment is it was good to highlight relevant skills and teamwork in the presentation you give first thing in the morning on the day of your interview it generally sets the tone for the day.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about science project you regret not taking up during your PhD?   Answer Question

Was not keen on shifting to Midland, MI.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in November 2014.

Met recruiter at a career fair and they did a quick review of my resume asking me to elaborate more on things like volunteer work and research. I received a call for an interview the next day at the campus. I had one interviewer, a process engineer. She asked basic behavioral question nothing out of the ordinary.

I took a business card for HR person I met at the fair and followed up after a month had passed and I heard nothing. About 2 weeks later I received an email saying that I did not get the job.

Summer Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

Stopped by their booth at a campus recruiting event, applied online through the school's on campus recruiting website, received an interview, went to the interview and was offered the internship 30 minutes after interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • There were lots of situational questions such as "tell me about a time.." be sure to have multiple examples because some questions were simply reworded versions of each other.   Answer Question