Dow Chemical

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

2.9

Senior Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

Submitted transcripts, recommendations, resume, and research summary and filled out online application one week before on campus recruiting. On campus interview builds a profile up of your qualities and skills (filling out predetermined questions on a computer or paper). Questions about research, as well as expected behavioral questions: describe your research and its impact, biggest challenge in grad school, tell me about a time you started a collaboration, what is your expertise or skills you have, why do you want to work in industry, why Dow, etc. If qualified, this profile is is sent to various divisions/locations. If a location is interested, within 3 weeks you will be contacted directly by that division and invited for an on site interview.

On campus interview was very straightforward and the interviewer (they are PhD researchers themselves) explained that they were building up a profile and asking typical predetermined questions while summarizing my responses on a computer. Very friendly interviewer and never felt like I was being grilled.

Interview Questions
    • Kept asking what other technical skills or abilities I had, but did not seem receptive to any of my answers, though I tried answering from multiple perspectives.   Answer Question

2014-2015 Campus Recruiting- R&D PhD Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

Applied and was selected for on campus interview with Dow scientist. Interview was almost entirely behavior based; I was asked to summarize my PhD research in about 90 seconds. Questions were fairly standard; "tell me about a time you had to display leadership", etc. Overall, it was a good interview, interviewer was friendly, but seemed very much like data acquisition for later use if an opening were to come up.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see yourself as more of a technical, hands-on worker, or as a big picture, thought leader type?   View Answer

CDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

I interviewed on site at headquarters. It was a group interview with 2 other interviewees and we were interviewed by 3 people. The interview lasted a little more than an hour followed by a half an hour sales simulation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when people were initially hesitant about your suggestion and how did you convince them to change your mind?   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Applied through university career center. The process took around three weeks and interviewed on campus. It was not tough one. Basic star question. But the moment interviewer ask me question he started writing word by I word that I was saying and that made me confuse and I screwed everything. At the end he suggest me to improve my confidence level and I told him to get some interviewing training. You don't need to type in everything to what I am saying. Blalalalalalla
    Definitely got rejection after three weeks. but the interviewer reply me that he talk about my comment to his hiring manager and they also suggest me to only take notes. Lol

Interview Questions
    • Nothing The interviewer was just start typing everything that I said   Answer Question

Ph D Chemistry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dow Chemical in August 2014.

I submitted my resume, cover letter & research description through my University career center. I heard that I got an interview within a few days of the close of the application process. The interview was about 1 week later. Prior to my interview they contacted one of my references for a letter of rec. The interview was with current PhD scientists at Dow, not HR people. I haven't heard back from them since the interview, which I'm assuming means I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in industry? Can you tell me about a time you initiated a collaboration?   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Chemical in July 2014.

I filled out an online requisition / application on Dow's website. (I happen to like Dow's job board and application process, by the way; it is quite slick and works very well.) I had to take a technical aptitude test during the application process, which I enjoyed. A couple days later I received an email saying Dow wanted to set up a phone interview with me. I responded to the email and set up a time, which was about a week later. When the interviewer contacted me, she was very nice, but she wasn't the hiring manager, therefore the answers I gave her were being recorded both by phone and by her typing my answers. She had canned questions. She was feeling me out and testing, mainly, my soft skills. She asked about ten questions, of which about half could have been answered by looking at my resume. The interview took about 30 minutes. After it was after, she thanked me and told me I could check the status of my application online, and I could also call an 800 number and inquire, but only after a period of about two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Canned questions regarding the time I "handled a challenging situation on the job", and "what one thing makes me stand out against my peers". None of the questions are necessarily difficult, but these are the kind of questions that are difficult to answer because it's hard to know *exactly* what any given employer is looking for.   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in July 2014.

Contacted by HR recruiter via LinkedIn. Applied online. Got invited to an interview event. Two consecutive group panel interviews; 3 people for the first, 4 for the second. Typical behavior questions.

Interview Questions

Have a better offer from another company.

Summer Intern - Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

I am still in college and went to a conference in Indianapolis to meet with recruiters. I spoke with one of the recruiters and they were friendly and very knowledgeable. Although, they were not in my type of engineering they set me up with a meeting over the phone with a supervisor that is in the department I would be best suited for. Within a week of that conversation/meeting/interview I was offered an internship.

Interview Questions
    no need to negotiate; price was more than expected.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Interview process starts with a 30 minutes' written test and as screening process and then a very brief 15 minutes' behavior interview and talk with human resources manager. In about 2 weeks, follow up with the second round on site interview for about an hour with a functional leader and 2 team leaders (panel interview).

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavior interview starting from walking through resume and lasts about an hour.   Answer Question

Reliability and Maintenance Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

Fairly typical initial interview, behavioral questions and the like. Try and express some of your strengths in these answers. I personally only had one round of interviewing of approximately 30 minutes. I was given a call about 2 hours later telling me I got the job. Very great interviewers, as I did not find it very difficult to strike up a conversation. They were very good at asking questions about my resume, and figuring out who you are as a person.

Interview Questions
    • Choose a time where you were put in a situation where someone was doing something wrong, and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    Offer was great, and did not need to negotiate.