Dow Chemical Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.9

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Interview

Submitted resume through school, interviewed and received call within a week. Not very difficult interview. They want to see you're good with people, you have decent grasp of technical skills, and you're willing to learn.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted to set up an interview through telephone. They did note that most of their interviews were performed in person. They contacted me promptly 5 days after the interview with their decision. They asked a lot of specific behavioral questions, particularly about teamwork experiences. They seemed to emphasize having worked in diverse groups.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe a time I worked from someone with a different background from myself and how their background contributed to our success.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through university career center. The process took around three weeks and interviewed on campus. It was not tough one. Basic star question. But the moment interviewer ask me question he started writing word by I word that I was saying and that made me confuse and I screwed everything. At the end he suggest me to improve my confidence level and I told him to get some interviewing training. You don't need to type in everything to what I am saying. Blalalalalalla Definitely got rejection after three weeks. but the interviewer reply me that he talk about my comment to his hiring manager and they also suggest me to only take notes. Lol

Interview Questions

• Nothing The interviewer was just start typing everything that I said   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

Interview

on campus interview, took about an hour, interviewer was really nice and share his own experiences at Dow. The questions are not difficult. They basically follow your resume. Better prepared some graphical abstracts of your research, it will help a lot when you try to explain your work. They also asked behavior questions such as teamwork and leadership but after all those questions are still related with the projects that you have been working on.

Interview Questions

• nothing unexpected, most related with research, some behavior questions about collaboration and leadership   Answer Question

CDP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dow Chemical (Midland, MI) in September 2014.

Interview

I interviewed on site at headquarters. It was a group interview with 2 other interviewees and we were interviewed by 3 people. The interview lasted a little more than an hour followed by a half an hour sales simulation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when people were initially hesitant about your suggestion and how did you convince them to change your mind?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

They came to campus and gave a talk after which I applied via my school's career center. From that I was contacted for an on campus interview. Was a 45 minute one on one interview. Nothing too unexpected talked a little about my research and the rest was just behavioral questions.

Application

Interview

Applied and was selected for on campus interview with Dow scientist. Interview was almost entirely behavior based; I was asked to summarize my PhD research in about 90 seconds. Questions were fairly standard; "tell me about a time you had to display leadership", etc. Overall, it was a good interview, interviewer was friendly, but seemed very much like data acquisition for later use if an opening were to come up.

Interview Questions

• Do you see yourself as more of a technical, hands-on worker, or as a big picture, thought leader type?   1 Answer

RD Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

Interview

campus interview. two weeks later will inform if able to do on-site interview. two weeks later, will inform the final offer. information session is useful to collect the interview information as well as what kind of person they want to hire.

Interview Questions

• no unexpected question. However, the interviewer asked two similar question in a row. First he asked " what is the most significant contribution to science" and then asked " what is your most creative contribution to science" other questions are basic behavior questions you can find on line. such as " what is your most difficult time in phd life" " what is your strength/weakness"   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2014.

Interview

Submitted transcripts, recommendations, resume, and research summary and filled out online application one week before on campus recruiting. On campus interview builds a profile up of your qualities and skills (filling out predetermined questions on a computer or paper). Questions about research, as well as expected behavioral questions: describe your research and its impact, biggest challenge in grad school, tell me about a time you started a collaboration, what is your expertise or skills you have, why do you want to work in industry, why Dow, etc. If qualified, this profile is is sent to various divisions/locations. If a location is interested, within 3 weeks you will be contacted directly by that division and invited for an on site interview. On campus interview was very straightforward and the interviewer (they are PhD researchers themselves) explained that they were building up a profile and asking typical predetermined questions while summarizing my responses on a computer. Very friendly interviewer and never felt like I was being grilled.

Interview Questions

• Kept asking what other technical skills or abilities I had, but did not seem receptive to any of my answers, though I tried answering from multiple perspectives.   Answer Question

Associate Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Chemical (Columbus, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

On Campus Interview - took 1 week to apply and get an interview. Interviewer was courteous and kind, but he did not know much about my field so the interview was basically him typing my answers out as I spoke. Most of the interview was discussion of my research and skills.