Dow Chemical

Updated Nov 9, 2014

3.2

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

Campus interview, manager ask some typical behavior question and discuss your research. It depends on who are interviewing. Some are nice and there are a lot interactions. It's a nice experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Dow Chemical

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dow Chemical.

Had my interview at a campus recruiting event. The questions were mainly focused on my research project, with several behavioral questions such as "how do you collaborate with people in a team setting", "how do you resolve a conflict with your boss", etc.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

They set up a routine and normal interview. First, I was asked to talk about my research, then asked some basic behavioral questions during my description of research. It is quite dynamic, but basically focused on the most recent research experience.

Interview Questions
    • Any collaboration outside of your group. How did you return to them for their help?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

It was a campus recruiting. CV was needed to be sent prior to the interview. Contacted by the interviewer via email that I need to apply through online, and send a research highlight. The interview was scheduled later. Around 1 hr interview with mostly behavioral questions. There were some questions regarding research, but not research itself, so these were also behavioral questions I think.

Interview Questions
    • Have you had a situation that you needed to finish a project, but you couldn't do this? What did you do? or if you haven't had, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2013.

Dow came to my university and held approx. 40 minute 1:1 interviews, which consisted first of a brief presentation of my research. I found my interviewer to be friendly and not especially probing on this first interview. He mostly had questions about my research, then gave me the gist of an information session I had missed the day before. He followed up a few days later by phone. A second phone conversation came a week later with another recruiter. Again, he wasn't that probing and gave more information about the company and worked with me on where within Dow I would be a good fit.
    Two weeks later, I flew out for the on-site interview. After breakfast at the hotel with my host, I went over to the lab at core R&D and gave a presentation of my research, which was well received. The rest of the visit consisted of a lab and facilities tour, lunch and several 1:1 interviews with employees at various levels, as well as the manager. These mostly went very well with a couple of exceptions. The interview with the program director made me the most nervous. I caught myself elaborating too much. I left with a good feeling overall but an offer never came and my email inquiries were not returned.
    In truth, it was my first ever on-site interview and initially I was mostly along for the ride as I wasn't in any immediate need for a job. About halfway through, I got more serious about working there but I guess the first impression I gave wasn't strong.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

45 minutes interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult. A lot of behavior questions. Like any disagreement with advisor or coworkers and how you handled it?
      your strength? what is your accomplishment?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2013.

Just got the on-campus interview after submitting the cv

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Chemical.

Campus Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Chemical in November 2009.

This was from the result of a campus interview. My research presentation went well, I thought, as did some of the interviewers. This one manager in the audience kept shaking his head disagreeably the whole time (which was very rude) and asked questions which were completely unrelated to my research. In the question session after the presentation, he announced that I had not addressed the expectations that he had. He came in with some pre-conceived notions about what I would be presenting, stuff that I had not mentioned anywhere on my resume or presentation abstract.

The rest of the 1:1 interviews were ok, most people asked canned behavioral questions. Some scientists asked good questions, others were quite lame.

Midland is square central with a total of 3 places to eat downtown.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if I gave you a million dollars to spend on any research project that you could?   View Answers (2)

Research Scientist Interview

I talked with a campus recruiter and then was invited for an on-site interview. I gave a 45 minute seminar in the morning and then met with ~10 people for 30 minute interviews. I met with other employees for dinner the night before my interview and also for lunch during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult challenge during graduate school?   Answer Question
    • Do you have questions on the products from our website?   Answer Question