Dow Corning

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.9

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Corning in October 2014.

Applied through campus career services. Scheduled an on campus interview. Pretty standard behavioral questions. One of the questions caught me really off guard and it really shouldn't have. I had 4 interviews that week which made it difficult to really prepare for this one especially since it wasn't my top choice.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time from your internship experience where you used a skill you learned from your classes   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Corning.

Conducted on campus-interview. Did not get a chance to meet with them at Career Fair but they liked my resume online and invited me to interview with them. The interview was very straightforward and I did not have much trouble connecting with him. It was a smooth process and have no complaints at all. Got offer three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions about my resume and talked about myself in general. Very laid back interview and interviewer was very nice and approachable.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. $24 per hour and subsidized housing

Lab Co-op Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Corning.

Applied online then had a ~15 minute phone screening. Shortly after I received a call to come in for an interview. Interview with three separate technical experts and received a tour of the lab facilities. Within a week a received a phone call offering me the position.

Senior Research Chemist Interview

Found out about the positions at career fair at my university. Then, got an on-campus interview which was for 30 min with couple behavioral questions and brief research talk. A week after that, got a phone call from the project leader to ask me few more questions about my research background. About 2 weeks after that, got an on-site interview which consisted of informal dinner with the project leader and a day of interview. Started with 1 hour research seminar and 5 interviews (1 hour each, one-on-one interview) with lunch break and lab tour. Each interview was mostly behavioral questions and all the interviewers were very nice and informative about the company and the Midland area. Still waiting to hear back about the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are behavioral questions that you can find online. None of them were unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Corning.

I applied online and received an invitation to interview approximately 3-4 weeks later. It was conducted over a conference call with two engineers and it was around 45-50 minutes. They followed the STAR interview format.

Senior Materials Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Corning.

Phone interview: mainly targeted selection questions, your boss, your partners, the challenge in the past, and so on.
    Technical details in the past research, perspective in the position interviewed.

College Full-Time: Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Corning.

Applied through Indeed.com in early September, and heard back in mid-October regarding a phone interview. Was interviewed by two people in positions relating to potential openings.

The interview lasted for an hour and they told me that they presented all candidates to the hiring managers who then independently decided who to contact for an on-site interview. Heard back a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What determines when a project is finished?   View Answer

Human Resource Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Corning.

Applied through school website, 2 hour interview process with 2 reps from Dow Corning. Quick responds time.

I did not negotiate

Chemical Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Corning in October 2013.

I applied online and received an email back about 2 weeks later. The email listed 1-hour time blocks in which I could schedule a phone interview to be held via an AT&T conference call number. I scheduled the interview (which ended up being with 2 people at the same time).

The interviewers were very nice and seemed to care about me as a person and not just a potential hire. They talked for about 10 minutes about themselves (I think to lighten the mood and make me more comfortable with them) and then asked me general questions about myself (how I chose my school, a question related to my résumé, etc.). They also used my responses to build on other questions...such as if I said I faced trouble in a previous job, they would ask what I did and the outcome.

After the general questions, they asked more specific questions, including chemical engineering questions (not actual theory...just about my classes and if I know my stuff at all) such as "Show that you would be a good chemical engineering intern by telling me about a class project. The details of the project and the outcome."

Finally, they told me they were going to go talk to eachother for a couple minutes and to think up an answer to their last question of "Why should we hire [insert my name here]?" They came back, I gave them my answers, they asked if I had any questions (which I did about the company and them), and that was that.

The interviewers really seemed to stress the outcome of each situation they asked for. They didn't just want to know what you did...but how it worked out and what ended up happening!

I heard back within the time range they said I would hear back in (7-10 days). The interviewers gather together and present the candidates to the hiring personnel who make the final decision.

I got a phone call from someone in Human Resources saying I got the job and that it paid $24/hour

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a school project and how it shows that you know chemical engineering. Tell us the results of your project. Did you get a good grade?   View Answer
    No negotiations. $24/hour + 2 vacation days + 2 sick days

I can start sometime in May (there are a couple options of exact dates in May and how many weeks I want to intern for) but they don't know which location I'll be at yet. I should know that in January (this was in October/November).

Entry Level Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Corning in September 2013.

Phone interview after applying online. Interview was through an AT&T conference call I had to dial in to. Two engineers interviewed me and it was very professional. They first explained how the interview would go and it would be 45-50 min. They explained their background and positions at the company. Next were three questions. Finally they asked me to tell them why I should be hired. There was only enough time for me to ask one question at the end :(

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a group where you had to get past problems to succeed.
      Tell me about a technical project or report and all the steps and problem solving involved.
        Answer Question