Dow Jones Interview Questions

3.1

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Entire process took about 6 weeks, had hr interview then dept manager, they asked many questions. Very nice and down to earth people. Be patients I got a call few weeks later when I applied I didn't even remember that I applied for that position. Even after the interview I had to call HR to follow up. It's a union place so ask lots of questions before accepting the job.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Dow Jones.

It was a phone interview. And there was an online test. They send you a link and you can give test at home. The test is to test your technical knowledge The test was for about 2 hours and it was very difficult.

Product Technologist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Very poor hiring practices. I got an interview from the campus recruiting event. I met 4 people from different teams working on the same product. I got asked questions related to what I listed on my resume. They asked me some stuff about design patterns and asked me to draw out the complete architecture of one of the complex projects I worked on. Then, one of the guys made me write some code which was pretty straightforward for any CS student. I got called for final interviews a month later for which I had to meet the director who gave me a verbal offer in 2 minutes. Basically, the director just wanted to meet me and he told me I would hear back from the HR.

For a week, no response from the HR. Then, I hear back from her saying I will hear back again in a week or so. This was in October and today is January and I never heard back from them. I tried calling them and emailed them as well but I never got any response. This is the most unprofessional thing I've seen in my entire life. In fact, I wasted about a month thinking I'd get my official offer letter and I'm all set. If they were planning to take this long or even decline me, they could just say it so I'd stop waiting for it.

Unix Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Jones in December 2014.

I was interviewed by two managers. One manager was a former Windows administrator who did not have any Unix experience what so ever. He asked questions that were ridiculous and sounded like he found them with Google. Plus he only knew one answer to questions that could have numerous different answers since he did not have any Unix experience. The second was a director who appeared to be very distant from any technical work and asked non-technical clueless questions.
    It was just about the worst interview I have ever had.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me five words that describe yourself?   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in November 2014.

Phone call from recruiter followed by phone interview followed by in-person interview. Recruiter called to cancel interview the day before the scheduled interview date because the team was "in flux". A month later, the recruiter emails me again and schedules another in-person interview. Took the day off to travel to NYC out of pocket, and chatted with team for an hour. Interview went well. Never heard from them again—though, to be honest, the thought of working next door to Fox News made me queasy anyway.

Research Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a week later. I interviewed with the recruiter for about 25 minutes and she set up a phone interview with the appropriate people for the following week. My phone interview seemed to go well and at the end, they asked if I would be willing or able to come into their office for an in-person interview in the next week or two. I said yes and they said they would be in touch. It's been 4+ weeks now and not a word. No response to my email from their recruiter either. While I recognize that HR employees are busy, it's unprofessional to leave candidates hanging for weeks without any update. A 'no' is always appreciated over silence. I know it's an employers market out there right now but being disrespectful to your candidates reflects poorly on the company and will hinder your ability in the future to attract top talent.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Submitted application online and was contacted by a recruiter about 1 week later to set up a phone interview. Had an informal talk with the recruiter about the position, stuff on my resume, etc. At the end of the interview she said she'd like to set up a phone interview with the team. Had the phone interview with the team 2 weeks later and at the end they invited me for an in person interview at the office. I went to the office interview 1 week later. This interview consisted of an in person interview with 2 members of the team where they asked basic questions about my background and why I was interested in the position. There was then a written test with a research assignment. Offered the position one week later.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you better qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2014.

I applied online and was emailed by a recruiter in NYC to set up a phone interview. After a phone interview I had an interview with the hiring manager. I was told after a 45 minute interview that they were probably hiring internally. Approximately 2 months after that interview, the recruiter in NYC called back again and we played phone tag. The recruiter did not answer emails and did not once ever answer the phone. To this day, I have no idea if she was going to make an offer or why she called so long after the interview. At one point I was calling on a daily basis to try and catch her on the phone. It was a very unprofessional and bizarre experience to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions on experience, managerial style, behavioral   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2014.

The hiring process here took approximately two months. I applied to my job through LinkedIn and received an invitation for a phone interview two weeks later. The recruiter and I spoke on the phone, and I came in for my in-person interview only a few days later. The interview took approximately three hours, consisting of an hour-long meeting and a skills test. I then heard nothing until about a month later, when I received my job offer over the phone.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Casual and short, met future boss and dotted line boss

Easy, there was not much room for negotiating