Dow Jones

Relevance Date Difficulty

Java Web Developer Interview

Java Web Developer
Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was really simple 1 phone interview followed my face to face interview
They asked very basic OO concepts in the telephonic interview
face to face interview was more coding related and case specific with some white board coding.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected in fact is was much easier than expected.   Answer Question

Technology Showcase Interview

Technology Showcase
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

Interview Details – 2013.10.24 Online Application
2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)
3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.
Sample inputs & outputs:
          Input:9, Output:F#
          Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
          Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
***You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.
4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)

Interview Question – Explain the code.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details – Casual and short, met future boss and dotted line boss

Negotiation Details – Easy, there was not much room for negotiating

Front End Web Developer Interview

Front End Web Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details – I had applied for a different position and spoken with the recruiter on the phone. That position didn't come through, but the recruiter called me weeks later about another position. They quickly set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well. I was called in the next week for a personal interview with the recruiter and then with a team member. The team member asked several specific technical questions and explained that it was not for specific answers but so that they could see how I thought through to a solution.

Interview Question – How to find the cause of a slow page load in a web site, focusing on all avenues to rule out specific bottlenecks and response lags.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was easy, but the verification and background check took weeks.

Human Resources Rotational Program Interview

Human Resources Rotational Program

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details – Phone Interview went well--asked basic questions. Then was offered a digital interview.

Interview Question – Why HR?   Answer Question

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Ad Layout Coordinator
Monmouth Junction, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Question – He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

Interviewed at Dow Jones

Interview Details – Be able to show your prospecting skills, cold calling, social networking, etc.

Interview Question – May have to pitch someone over the phone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accepted good starting salary.

Director of Business Development Interview

Director of Business Development
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details – The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.

Technology Showcase Event! Interview

Technology Showcase Event!
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Online Application - 10/24/2013
2. Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue - 10/28/2013
3. Digital Interview - 10/30/2013 - 50 min

Interview Question – Four Interview Questions
1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)

3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f

Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details – A phone interview was followed by an interview at the beautiful NYC office. It was relaxed, and took place with only one interviewer - the head of department. It lasted around 20 minutes and I was told of my success the same day.

Interview Question – How have you handled a challenging customer interaction in the past? How would you change what you did now, looking back on it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I don't think this starting position is negotiable.

Worked for Dow Jones? Contribute to the Community!