Dow Jones Interview Questions

3.1

Application Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Jones in April 2009.

describing the hiring and interview process - asked a lot of technical questions by group of people during two hours technical interview.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in June 2012.

The guy calls and there is not a single word of hi or hello, directly jumped on to technical questions. I couldn't last for 5 minutes...

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Contacted by email first, exchanged with a few emails, took an online interview where coding test played the majority role. The questions were very difficult for non-top-coders. Completed the first question with great difficulty, then failed at the second one. It should be a genuine position for professional programmers and I have a lot of respect for that.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your solution better than others would think of   View Answer

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Got a call from Dow Jones.

Had 1 on 1 phone interview on skype. Asked bunch of questions on iOS ranging from MRC,ARC to CoreData, Multithreading,etc. It was an intense 1 hour interview.

Had another on 1 on 1 interview on skype. Mostly on Resume. Asked for code samples and approach to solve 2 questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most were iOS basics. If you have developed an iOS app with GCD, multithreading, coredata and ARC/MRC, anyone will be able to answer this.   Answer Question

Technology Showcase Event! Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

1. Online Application - 10/24/2013
    2. Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue - 10/28/2013
    3. Digital Interview - 10/30/2013 - 50 min

Interview Questions
    • Four Interview Questions
      1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)

2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)

3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
      Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
      The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
      The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
      Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.

Sample inputs & outputs:
                Input:9, Output:F#
                Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
                Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
      ***You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.

4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)
        Answer Question

Front End Web Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

I had applied for a different position and spoken with the recruiter on the phone. That position didn't come through, but the recruiter called me weeks later about another position. They quickly set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well. I was called in the next week for a personal interview with the recruiter and then with a team member. The team member asked several specific technical questions and explained that it was not for specific answers but so that they could see how I thought through to a solution.

Interview Questions
    • How to find the cause of a slow page load in a web site, focusing on all avenues to rule out specific bottlenecks and response lags.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was easy, but the verification and background check took weeks.

Technology Showcase Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

2013.10.24 Online Application
    2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
    2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
    3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
    The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
    Sample inputs & outputs:
              Input:9, Output:F#
              Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
              Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B

Customer Servce Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Initial Phone interview with HR followed by a second one with a global manager in the US. Invited to 2 more rounds of face-to-face interviews on site. On site skills test included a role play with a team member - you have to serve an unhappy customer over the phone to demonstrate your handle a difficult situation

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Dow Jones and products? Tell me about your self and experience? Tell me about your experience when you went extra mile to exceed a customer's expectation? Role-play type skills test.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Got the call about a couple of months after I applied for the position online. Swift phone interview, followed by a face-to-face interview and written test. A month or so later, got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How I would integrate a group or a team with individuals from various countries and backgrounds and get the best out of them.   View Answer
    OK. Not much wriggle room for pay negotiation.

Service Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in August 2010.

Lengthy and thorough but overall very fair. Everyone in the process had a reason to be involved in the process and were genuinely interested in bringing in the right candidate.