Dow Jones

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.1

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

No offer, but decided to decline anyway even if made an offer. Heres why:
    Disorganized. Inability to make decisions. Fails to keep candidates updated on status. Acknowledged morale in in the toilet. These are big turn-offs. All of the negative reviews about this place should have been a sign but its good to practice your interviewing skills. Initial phone interview, then asked to go for on-site in NYC, to be changed to on-site in NJ. After the NJ interview, told it would be follow up phone interview, then told another on-site but with a different person, then that changed to on-site with 2 people. 2 weeks pass - told no update. Then, they just ignore your emails. The time from interview to being told of their decision was more than 2 months. If their indecisiveness in the hiring process is any indication of their business model, this would explain why their products (maybe except for WSJ), are not taken seriously and can't compete in the marketplace. Multiple thumbs down.

Interview Questions
    • None - had more experience than most of the interviewers.   Answer Question

Technology Showcase Event! Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

1. Online Application - 10/24/2013
    2. Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue - 10/28/2013
    3. Digital Interview - 10/30/2013 - 50 min

Interview Questions
    • Four Interview Questions
      1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)

2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)

3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
      Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
      The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
      The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
      Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.

Sample inputs & outputs:
                Input:9, Output:F#
                Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
                Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
      ***You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.

4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)
        Answer Question

Technology Showcase Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

2013.10.24 Online Application
    2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
    2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
    3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
    The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
    Sample inputs & outputs:
              Input:9, Output:F#
              Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
              Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Contacted by email first, exchanged with a few emails, took an online interview where coding test played the majority role. The questions were very difficult for non-top-coders. Completed the first question with great difficulty, then failed at the second one. It should be a genuine position for professional programmers and I have a lot of respect for that.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your solution better than others would think of   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Very nice - I was interviewed by two interviewers who asked me technical questions (I studied up on finance before it but they only asked technical questions) They asked me to go through my resume and asked about a few things and I gave them a demo of some of the sites I worked on. They asked me a few pretty simple algorithm questions - how to find the missing number in a consecutive sequence missing one number. The algorithms were very simple and I thought they were a bit easily impressed. They also asked a few non-algorithmic programming question which I did not know but it was easy to talk myself out of it. Great interview overall - they make you feel comfortable and valued.

Interview Questions
    • How does instant chat work? How is it implemented?   View Answer

I have not decided yet actually. waiting to hear back form a few other places

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

submit resume during campus career fair, got a campus interview on the second day, 30 minutes' talk and 15 minutes' coding test.

Senior Developer Interview

Phone interview
    on-site Interview

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions (OOPS concepts, XML and SQL server) and Resume screening   Answer Question

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Got a call from Dow Jones.

Had 1 on 1 phone interview on skype. Asked bunch of questions on iOS ranging from MRC,ARC to CoreData, Multithreading,etc. It was an intense 1 hour interview.

Had another on 1 on 1 interview on skype. Mostly on Resume. Asked for code samples and approach to solve 2 questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most were iOS basics. If you have developed an iOS app with GCD, multithreading, coredata and ARC/MRC, anyone will be able to answer this.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Rude, unorganized, unprofessional. Got stood up on phone interview. Hunted down recruiter after 15 min. She got back saying the interviewer will call ASAP. AN HOUR PASSED! Recruiter went MIA. Finally got a barely apologetic email not accepting blame & reschedule info. New Call: Interviewer was 25 min late.

Interview Questions
    • Easy questions asked by asinine hiring managers. They want to know why you want the position, what news you consume and what Dow Jones products you know of such as Wall Street Journal etc.   Answer Question

Java Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Hiring process was really simple 1 phone interview followed my face to face interview
    They asked very basic OO concepts in the telephonic interview
    face to face interview was more coding related and case specific with some white board coding.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected in fact is was much easier than expected.   Answer Question