Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.1

Unix Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Jones (South Brunswick Terrace, NJ) in December 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by two managers. One manager was a former Windows administrator who did not have any Unix experience what so ever. He asked questions that were ridiculous and sounded like he found them with Google. Plus he only knew one answer to questions that could have numerous different answers since he did not have any Unix experience. The second was a director who appeared to be very distant from any technical work and asked non-technical clueless questions.
    It was just about the worst interview I have ever had.

Interview Questions

• Tell me five words that describe yourself?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone call from recruiter followed by phone interview followed by in-person interview. Recruiter called to cancel interview the day before the scheduled interview date because the team was "in flux". A month later, the recruiter emails me again and schedules another in-person interview. Took the day off to travel to NYC out of pocket, and chatted with team for an hour. Interview went well. Never heard from them again—though, to be honest, the thought of working next door to Fox News made me queasy anyway.

Technology Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones in November 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call and listened to a 30-minute introduction on Dow Jones. And last, he asked if I have any question to ask. And, that's it. I was told to wait for the email.

Research Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a week later. I interviewed with the recruiter for about 25 minutes and she set up a phone interview with the appropriate people for the following week. My phone interview seemed to go well and at the end, they asked if I would be willing or able to come into their office for an in-person interview in the next week or two. I said yes and they said they would be in touch. It's been 4+ weeks now and not a word. No response to my email from their recruiter either. While I recognize that HR employees are busy, it's unprofessional to leave candidates hanging for weeks without any update. A 'no' is always appreciated over silence. I know it's an employers market out there right now but being disrespectful to your candidates reflects poorly on the company and will hinder your ability in the future to attract top talent.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Submitted application online and was contacted by a recruiter about 1 week later to set up a phone interview. Had an informal talk with the recruiter about the position, stuff on my resume, etc. At the end of the interview she said she'd like to set up a phone interview with the team. Had the phone interview with the team 2 weeks later and at the end they invited me for an in person interview at the office. I went to the office interview 1 week later. This interview consisted of an in person interview with 2 members of the team where they asked basic questions about my background and why I was interested in the position. There was then a written test with a research assignment. Offered the position one week later.

Interview Questions

• What makes you better qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed by a recruiter in NYC to set up a phone interview. After a phone interview I had an interview with the hiring manager. I was told after a 45 minute interview that they were probably hiring internally. Approximately 2 months after that interview, the recruiter in NYC called back again and we played phone tag. The recruiter did not answer emails and did not once ever answer the phone. To this day, I have no idea if she was going to make an offer or why she called so long after the interview. At one point I was calling on a daily basis to try and catch her on the phone. It was a very unprofessional and bizarre experience to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions on experience, managerial style, behavioral   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2014.

Interview

The hiring process here took approximately two months. I applied to my job through LinkedIn and received an invitation for a phone interview two weeks later. The recruiter and I spoke on the phone, and I came in for my in-person interview only a few days later. The interview took approximately three hours, consisting of an hour-long meeting and a skills test. I then heard nothing until about a month later, when I received my job offer over the phone.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Casual and short, met future boss and dotted line boss

Negotiation

Easy, there was not much room for negotiating

Front End Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

I had applied for a different position and spoken with the recruiter on the phone. That position didn't come through, but the recruiter called me weeks later about another position. They quickly set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well. I was called in the next week for a personal interview with the recruiter and then with a team member. The team member asked several specific technical questions and explained that it was not for specific answers but so that they could see how I thought through to a solution.

Interview Questions

• How to find the cause of a slow page load in a web site, focusing on all avenues to rule out specific bottlenecks and response lags.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was easy, but the verification and background check took weeks.

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Phone Interview went well--asked basic questions. Then was offered a digital interview.