Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2015
Updated Mar 7, 2015

3.1

Front End Web Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

I had applied for a different position and spoken with the recruiter on the phone. That position didn't come through, but the recruiter called me weeks later about another position. They quickly set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well. I was called in the next week for a personal interview with the recruiter and then with a team member. The team member asked several specific technical questions and explained that it was not for specific answers but so that they could see how I thought through to a solution.

Interview Questions
    • How to find the cause of a slow page load in a web site, focusing on all avenues to rule out specific bottlenecks and response lags.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was easy, but the verification and background check took weeks.

Human Resources Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dow Jones.

Phone Interview went well--asked basic questions. Then was offered a digital interview.

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2014.

Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Be able to show your prospecting skills, cold calling, social networking, etc.

Interview Questions
    Accepted good starting salary.

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dow Jones.

A phone interview was followed by an interview at the beautiful NYC office. It was relaxed, and took place with only one interviewer - the head of department. It lasted around 20 minutes and I was told of my success the same day.

Interview Questions
    • How have you handled a challenging customer interaction in the past? How would you change what you did now, looking back on it?   Answer Question
    I don't think this starting position is negotiable.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

No offer, but decided to decline anyway even if made an offer. Heres why:
    Disorganized. Inability to make decisions. Fails to keep candidates updated on status. Acknowledged morale in in the toilet. These are big turn-offs. All of the negative reviews about this place should have been a sign but its good to practice your interviewing skills. Initial phone interview, then asked to go for on-site in NYC, to be changed to on-site in NJ. After the NJ interview, told it would be follow up phone interview, then told another on-site but with a different person, then that changed to on-site with 2 people. 2 weeks pass - told no update. Then, they just ignore your emails. The time from interview to being told of their decision was more than 2 months. If their indecisiveness in the hiring process is any indication of their business model, this would explain why their products (maybe except for WSJ), are not taken seriously and can't compete in the marketplace. Multiple thumbs down.

Interview Questions
    • None - had more experience than most of the interviewers.   Answer Question

Technology Showcase Event! Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

1. Online Application - 10/24/2013
    2. Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue - 10/28/2013
    3. Digital Interview - 10/30/2013 - 50 min

Interview Questions
    • Four Interview Questions
      1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)

2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)

3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
      Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
      The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
      The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
      Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.

Sample inputs & outputs:
                Input:9, Output:F#
                Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
                Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
      ***You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.

4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)

Answer Question

Technology Showcase Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

2013.10.24 Online Application
    2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
    2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
    3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
    The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
    Sample inputs & outputs:
              Input:9, Output:F#
              Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
              Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Contacted by email first, exchanged with a few emails, took an online interview where coding test played the majority role. The questions were very difficult for non-top-coders. Completed the first question with great difficulty, then failed at the second one. It should be a genuine position for professional programmers and I have a lot of respect for that.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your solution better than others would think of   View Answer