Dow Jones

Average Difficulty
61 candidate interviews

Team Leader Interview

Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in November 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview with US, face to face interview with local manager and manager from UK.

Interview Question – I do not recall any difficult or funny question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a number within a min - max range and was given the mid value in between.

Java Web Developer Interview

Java Web Developer
Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was really simple 1 phone interview followed my face to face interview
They asked very basic OO concepts in the telephonic interview
face to face interview was more coding related and case specific with some white board coding.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected in fact is was much easier than expected.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Interview Details – Very nice - I was interviewed by two interviewers who asked me technical questions (I studied up on finance before it but they only asked technical questions) They asked me to go through my resume and asked about a few things and I gave them a demo of some of the sites I worked on. They asked me a few pretty simple algorithm questions - how to find the missing number in a consecutive sequence missing one number. The algorithms were very simple and I thought they were a bit easily impressed. They also asked a few non-algorithmic programming question which I did not know but it was easy to talk myself out of it. Great interview overall - they make you feel comfortable and valued.

Interview Question – How does instant chat work? How is it implemented?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I have not decided yet actually. waiting to hear back form a few other places

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Interview Details – submit resume during campus career fair, got a campus interview on the second day, 30 minutes' talk and 15 minutes' coding test.

Interview Question – major principals of OOP   View Answer

Sales Coordinator Interview

Sales Coordinator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online in Feb 2011 to the Integrated Ad Sales Track Program. I was contacted 2 months later by email to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was all business - typical interview questions. After about 15 minutes, the recruiter told me she'd like me to continue with the next step, a "virtual" interview (which was a new thing for DJ). The virtual interview was 7 typical interview questions. I had 30 seconds to read each question and prepare an answer, then up to 3 minutes to answer. After that, I was supposed to hear back within 2 weeks about the next step. It took about 3.5 weeks until they got back to me. Then I was invited to NY for a 2-day event in early June (DJ pays for flight, taxis, hotel, meals). There were 27 candidates invited competing for 4-6 coordinator openings. The first day was for mingling and meeting people and learning more about the position and the company. The second day consisted of 5 interviews, 30 minutes each, with different members of the WSJ org. Each person was mostly informal and relaxed about the process, but asked typical interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite recent ad campaign or one that has stood out?   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to go into sales?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you worked in a group on a project and what the outcome was?   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Research Editor
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in April 2013.

Interview Details – I have been set up a conference interview instead of go to company office since I come back my hometown. Interview was 1h30m long which questions are quite simple, more focus on working skill than working attitude and how to handle workload, also how to handle with drama and co-worker. A lot of Tell me the time when you are ... question :)

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Portfolio Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details – Typical questions for an interview

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate at all because I was young and stupid :/

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with HR Rep (outsourced); interviewed with hiring manager. HR Rep and HR department not particularly knowledgeable about benefits. Hiring manager was easy to talk with and ask questions. Everyone in the interview process was cordial and friendly.

Interview Question – What are your salary expectations for this position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate salary. Be sure to get everything in writing.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Interview Details – Rude, unorganized, unprofessional. Got stood up on phone interview. Hunted down recruiter after 15 min. She got back saying the interviewer will call ASAP. AN HOUR PASSED! Recruiter went MIA. Finally got a barely apologetic email not accepting blame & reschedule info. New Call: Interviewer was 25 min late.

Interview Question – Easy questions asked by asinine hiring managers. They want to know why you want the position, what news you consume and what Dow Jones products you know of such as Wall Street Journal etc.   Answer Question

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Ad Layout Coordinator
Monmouth Junction, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Question – He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question