Dow Jones

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

3.1

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Probably the WORST company to interview with. They are a mess internally. Don't waste your time and energy. They don't respect your time whatsoever. They dragged the process for months and months. After the process, they didn't even have the courtesy of replying back to any of my correspondence. At one point, they said I had the job but then they told me I had to wait a few months. People working here are NOT happy. They finally offered the position 3-4 months after the start of the interview process. I declined. I took another offer with a company that actually respects your time.

Interview Questions
    • None. Questions were easy. Went through the entire process and then they dragged it on for months and months about offering a job.   Answer Question

Culture is a joke, wasted my time, decided I would be extremely unhappy there. Company is in shambles right now. NO funding, NO culture, it's a skeleton of it's past.

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

I guess i got screened out in this initial interview even though i had great similar experience and a great record. The knucklehead I spoke with was an HR drone and we were on the phone for about 5 minutes. No real pertinent questions and we were off the phone in a flash. It was really a waste of time, glad it was via the phone.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in January 2009.

Interviewed with HR Rep (outsourced); interviewed with hiring manager. HR Rep and HR department not particularly knowledgeable about benefits. Hiring manager was easy to talk with and ask questions. Everyone in the interview process was cordial and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary expectations for this position.   View Answer
    Was able to negotiate salary. Be sure to get everything in writing.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in June 2011.

I applied online in Feb 2011 to the Integrated Ad Sales Track Program. I was contacted 2 months later by email to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was all business - typical interview questions. After about 15 minutes, the recruiter told me she'd like me to continue with the next step, a "virtual" interview (which was a new thing for DJ). The virtual interview was 7 typical interview questions. I had 30 seconds to read each question and prepare an answer, then up to 3 minutes to answer. After that, I was supposed to hear back within 2 weeks about the next step. It took about 3.5 weeks until they got back to me. Then I was invited to NY for a 2-day event in early June (DJ pays for flight, taxis, hotel, meals). There were 27 candidates invited competing for 4-6 coordinator openings. The first day was for mingling and meeting people and learning more about the position and the company. The second day consisted of 5 interviews, 30 minutes each, with different members of the WSJ org. Each person was mostly informal and relaxed about the process, but asked typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite recent ad campaign or one that has stood out?   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to go into sales?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a group on a project and what the outcome was?   Answer Question

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones.

Typical questions for an interview

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate at all because I was young and stupid :/

Research Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in April 2013.

I have been set up a conference interview instead of go to company office since I come back my hometown. Interview was 1h30m long which questions are quite simple, more focus on working skill than working attitude and how to handle workload, also how to handle with drama and co-worker. A lot of Tell me the time when you are ... question :)

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2014.

Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Rude, unorganized, unprofessional. Got stood up on phone interview. Hunted down recruiter after 15 min. She got back saying the interviewer will call ASAP. AN HOUR PASSED! Recruiter went MIA. Finally got a barely apologetic email not accepting blame & reschedule info. New Call: Interviewer was 25 min late.

Interview Questions
    • Easy questions asked by asinine hiring managers. They want to know why you want the position, what news you consume and what Dow Jones products you know of such as Wall Street Journal etc.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in November 2009.

Phone interview with US, face to face interview with local manager and manager from UK.

Interview Questions
    I asked for a number within a min - max range and was given the mid value in between.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Very nice - I was interviewed by two interviewers who asked me technical questions (I studied up on finance before it but they only asked technical questions) They asked me to go through my resume and asked about a few things and I gave them a demo of some of the sites I worked on. They asked me a few pretty simple algorithm questions - how to find the missing number in a consecutive sequence missing one number. The algorithms were very simple and I thought they were a bit easily impressed. They also asked a few non-algorithmic programming question which I did not know but it was easy to talk myself out of it. Great interview overall - they make you feel comfortable and valued.

Interview Questions
    • How does instant chat work? How is it implemented?   View Answer

I have not decided yet actually. waiting to hear back form a few other places