Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014

3.1

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Simple. Met 3 times. Once with SVP Finance in NYc, once with Pres of business I'd be supporting in NYC and again wit SVP Finance in New Jersey so I could see the team at HQ. had an offer shortly thereafter. No time wasted, no extra layers, no BS.

Interview Questions
    Simple, "we feel its a fit, let's move forward." Threw some numbers out there, I came back with some small requests, we agreed moved ahead. Background process took a few days. All in all, offer to start date was 3 weeks.

Technologist Interview

very normal process:
    -first of all, resume screening.
    -second, phone interview. Very nice talk. ask for background
    -third, onine interview. talk to machine, a little bit weird
    -lastly, on-site interview- three 1:1 interviews with IT leaders

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Dow Jones in May 2013.

Simple Phone interview and then on site interview at NY

Interview Questions
    • Random question about anything they want to ask. I was asked about C++ and python even though i was interviewing for Java developer.   Answer Question

Better offer and better work place

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in January 2013.

The interview process started out with an initial phone call to set up a time for a interview. They were courteous and willing to work with you. If you get past the first phone interview then you move on to the second. The second interview is very standard and is similar to the first. The y ask the basic questions, so there are no tricks. After making past all two phone interview, the next process is meeting someone one-on-one. Now, the hiring manager who interviewed me was less prepared than any interview I've been on. There was the regular questions, but this hiring manager didn't seem interested. They didn't have a resume ready nor were they taking notes. It made you feel as if that hiring manager was most interested in what was around the office than what you were saying. The overall phone interviews went well, but meeting the hiring manager 1:1 was an unappealing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions: Why do you want to work for the Dow Jones? Tell me about yourself. Why should we pick you over the other candidates.   Answer Question

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Applied online through my university's career website and a recruiter reached out to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly standard.. why am I interested in Dow Jones, what do I know about Dow Jones, why sales (relationship manager position), etc. The recruiter seemed unenthusiastic and slightly bored with me and the conversation lasted less than 15 minutes so I was surprised when I found out I made it to the next round. The next round was a video interview (Hirevue) with about 20 questions and 3 minutes to answer each question. I didn't have much time to prepare for it and it was nerve-racking because this was my first "virtual" interview. I haven't received any feedback from Dow Jones since then despite my attempts to reach the recruiter so I just assumed that I didn't make the cut. The phone/video interview was still a fairly long process. . took about 6 weeks overall.

Interview Questions
    • The questions in the virtual interview were very "sales-oriented" (eg: are you a hunter or a farmer?)   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2012.

Found the company to be an open atmosphere. Interviewers were relaxed and very nice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you meet the needs of different executives at the same time?   Answer Question

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Took many months of calling and pestering.

None. Offer was take it or leave it.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in June 2012.

The guy calls and there is not a single word of hi or hello, directly jumped on to technical questions. I couldn't last for 5 minutes...

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2012.

The HR group seems be fairly well run. They were not perfect but generally speaking they did return calls and were good about getting information to you for your interview. Everyone was also very professional and you did get a sense that people did work well together from what I could see which is a plus. The interviewing manager was courteous too and asked pertinent questions to the job position and asked about my personal situation without seeming to pry for the wrong reasons.

Interview Questions
    • How I would feel about working long hours. I do feel in some ways that is expected especially for a new employee trying to prove himself but I do get a sense that the new CEO is expecting a lot from everyone good, bad or indifferent. FYI, the job I was applying for wasn't the type you would expect to have to work extremely long hours for but I got the feeling that it would be expected because the new management wanted it that way.   Answer Question

I had another company that I was a little more interested in plus I did see that Dow Jones was getting a lot of bad reviews by current and former employees on this site. Lastly, I felt that I could do better in the salary department. Dow Jones was paying what was in my opinion a little below market rate even for this current economy.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in June 2011.

I applied online in Feb 2011 to the Integrated Ad Sales Track Program. I was contacted 2 months later by email to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was all business - typical interview questions. After about 15 minutes, the recruiter told me she'd like me to continue with the next step, a "virtual" interview (which was a new thing for DJ). The virtual interview was 7 typical interview questions. I had 30 seconds to read each question and prepare an answer, then up to 3 minutes to answer. After that, I was supposed to hear back within 2 weeks about the next step. It took about 3.5 weeks until they got back to me. Then I was invited to NY for a 2-day event in early June (DJ pays for flight, taxis, hotel, meals). There were 27 candidates invited competing for 4-6 coordinator openings. The first day was for mingling and meeting people and learning more about the position and the company. The second day consisted of 5 interviews, 30 minutes each, with different members of the WSJ org. Each person was mostly informal and relaxed about the process, but asked typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite recent ad campaign or one that has stood out?   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to go into sales?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a group on a project and what the outcome was?   Answer Question