Dow Jones

Technologist Interview

Technologist

Interviewed at Dow Jones

Interview Details – very normal process:
-first of all, resume screening.
-second, phone interview. Very nice talk. ask for background
-third, onine interview. talk to machine, a little bit weird
-lastly, on-site interview- three 1:1 interviews with IT leaders

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied through other source - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

Interview Details – Had to pass a skills test. Interview was straight forward.

Interview Question – No surprises or tricks.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, I accepted the initial offer.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process started out with an initial phone call to set up a time for a interview. They were courteous and willing to work with you. If you get past the first phone interview then you move on to the second. The second interview is very standard and is similar to the first. The y ask the basic questions, so there are no tricks. After making past all two phone interview, the next process is meeting someone one-on-one. Now, the hiring manager who interviewed me was less prepared than any interview I've been on. There was the regular questions, but this hiring manager didn't seem interested. They didn't have a resume ready nor were they taking notes. It made you feel as if that hiring manager was most interested in what was around the office than what you were saying. The overall phone interviews went well, but meeting the hiring manager 1:1 was an unappealing experience.

Interview Question – Basic questions: Why do you want to work for the Dow Jones? Tell me about yourself. Why should we pick you over the other candidates.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technical Architect Interview

Technical Architect
South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in May 2012.

Interview Details – The HR group seems be fairly well run. They were not perfect but generally speaking they did return calls and were good about getting information to you for your interview. Everyone was also very professional and you did get a sense that people did work well together from what I could see which is a plus. The interviewing manager was courteous too and asked pertinent questions to the job position and asked about my personal situation without seeming to pry for the wrong reasons.

Interview Question – How I would feel about working long hours. I do feel in some ways that is expected especially for a new employee trying to prove himself but I do get a sense that the new CEO is expecting a lot from everyone good, bad or indifferent. FYI, the job I was applying for wasn't the type you would expect to have to work extremely long hours for but I got the feeling that it would be expected because the new management wanted it that way.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had another company that I was a little more interested in plus I did see that Dow Jones was getting a lot of bad reviews by current and former employees on this site. Lastly, I felt that I could do better in the salary department. Dow Jones was paying what was in my opinion a little below market rate even for this current economy.

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2012.

Interview Details – Found the company to be an open atmosphere. Interviewers were relaxed and very nice.

Interview Question – How would you meet the needs of different executives at the same time?   Answer Question

Relationship Manager Interview

Relationship Manager
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details – Applied online through my university's career website and a recruiter reached out to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly standard.. why am I interested in Dow Jones, what do I know about Dow Jones, why sales (relationship manager position), etc. The recruiter seemed unenthusiastic and slightly bored with me and the conversation lasted less than 15 minutes so I was surprised when I found out I made it to the next round. The next round was a video interview (Hirevue) with about 20 questions and 3 minutes to answer each question. I didn't have much time to prepare for it and it was nerve-racking because this was my first "virtual" interview. I haven't received any feedback from Dow Jones since then despite my attempts to reach the recruiter so I just assumed that I didn't make the cut. The phone/video interview was still a fairly long process. . took about 6 weeks overall.

Interview Question – The questions in the virtual interview were very "sales-oriented" (eg: are you a hunter or a farmer?)   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

IOS Developer Interview

IOS Developer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in June 2012.

Interview Details – The guy calls and there is not a single word of hi or hello, directly jumped on to technical questions. I couldn't last for 5 minutes...

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in May 2008.

Interview Details – friendly hr staff. met in princeton nj. HR was very nice. Off ice is big and a bit intimidating. Went through 5 interviews in a row. Was asked about past experience and goals. if travel to NY was ok. pretty standard stuff.

was brought back 2 more times to meet more senior mgmt. They check references and mine were unavailable for a few weeks which slowed my offer down

Interview Question – Was asked about project management - waterfall vs. agile (they do both)   View Answer

Staff Writer Interview

Staff Writer
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details – Took many months of calling and pestering.

Negotiation Details – None. Offer was take it or leave it.

National Account Executive Interview

National Account Executive
San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2008.

Interview Details – Phone Call by a sales manager and then a follow up interview with sales director

Interview Question – What do you know about private markets/VentureCapital   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward no real room for negotiating