Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones (Ithaca, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

Very nice - I was interviewed by two interviewers who asked me technical questions (I studied up on finance before it but they only asked technical questions) They asked me to go through my resume and asked about a few things and I gave them a demo of some of the sites I worked on. They asked me a few pretty simple algorithm questions - how to find the missing number in a consecutive sequence missing one number. The algorithms were very simple and I thought they were a bit easily impressed. They also asked a few non-algorithmic programming question which I did not know but it was easy to talk myself out of it. Great interview overall - they make you feel comfortable and valued.

Interview Questions

• How does instant chat work? How is it implemented?   1 Answer

I have not decided yet actually. waiting to hear back form a few other places

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2013.

Interview

submit resume during campus career fair, got a campus interview on the second day, 30 minutes' talk and 15 minutes' coding test.

Java Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in July 2013.

Interview

Hiring process was really simple 1 phone interview followed my face to face interview
    They asked very basic OO concepts in the telephonic interview
    face to face interview was more coding related and case specific with some white board coding.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected in fact is was much easier than expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

I've always wanted to work for Dow Jones but was extremely disappointed after my interview. The benefits were good but the salary was terrible! I'm shocked when company with such a great reputation would pay an embarrassing low salary. The HR manager actually tried to convince me the benefits compensate for the salary. No thank you!

Telesales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dow Jones (London, England (UK)) in July 2013.

Interview

FIrst, I had a telephone interview with the recruitment head. She asked me a few questions testing my knowledge of the sales process and broadly my experience. After the initial interview, she arranged a face-to-face interview with my (then) boss and he asked me a few questions about my experience. I passed that interview and was told that for the next interview I had to prepare a presentation which involved pitching a Dow Jones product over the phone with the aim of securing a meeting. On the same day I was told of the outcome.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The interviews were short, equal amounts selling me on Dow Jones and asking about my skills and experience. But the interview process was the easy part. Working my way through the offer and recruiting process was excruciating. Very hard to pin them down on offer details. They seemed as worried I would say no and interested in getting me to say yes. Going from "we'd love to have you on the team" to "attached is your official offer letter" was more than a month. Not exactly the welcome wagon.

Interview Questions

• Asked general questions about my experience. They did the work to see how I would best fit in with Dow Jones.   1 Answer

Final offer was for a position below my experience. Hard to understand why they went to all the trouble and strung me along. Comp was fine, but level was off.

Technology Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones in November 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call and listened to a 30-minute introduction on Dow Jones. And last, he asked if I have any question to ask. And, that's it. I was told to wait for the email.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

Where do you see social media and HR headed?

Make a video of yourself (Feel free to be creative!)- Don't. They don't care that much about creative. Just make it news related.

Video Interview- pretty basic. All video questions from what I can remember.

For a company offering an HRLDP, how can you expect to develop HR candidates when your HR practices are not up to par?

Interview Questions

• Favorite Book? Behavioral questions. What do you know about Dow Jones?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the response was actually pretty quick. Within the week I received an email requesting a phone interview. It was a brief discussion about my skills and what I know about the company. Pretty usual. The next morning I got a call at 9:00 am to informe I was invited to the facility for a live interview. I was emailed the details. The campus is beautiful and organized with a daycare on site. Also there is a coffee shop and frozen yogurt stand. All of the employees looked quite happy and relaxed. The interview began with a ten minute writing assessment followed by two face to face interview with two different pairs of managers, all of whom were extremely gracious and warm. I felt very welcome there. It ended with a brief role play session with the customer experience manager, a bubbly British man, who was also very warm and welcoming. Although it was probably the most intense interview I've ever sat through, it was very organized and informative and gave a wonderful impression of how the company works. The interview was today and I was informed they are hiring quickly and all applicants will receive a call by the end of the week with a decision. I am very eager to know if I've been considered.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

After the initial application, I was emailed to do an online interview. I did the Online video interview, which was simple. However, I wished I had heads up on what to expect. I was nervous that I won't do well and under answered the questions because they were timed responses. I prefer the in person questions to that method, honestly.