Dow Jones

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

submit resume during campus career fair, got a campus interview on the second day, 30 minutes' talk and 15 minutes' coding test.

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in November 2009.

Phone interview with US, face to face interview with local manager and manager from UK.

Interview Questions
    I asked for a number within a min - max range and was given the mid value in between.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

No offer, but decided to decline anyway even if made an offer. Heres why:
    Disorganized. Inability to make decisions. Fails to keep candidates updated on status. Acknowledged morale in in the toilet. These are big turn-offs. All of the negative reviews about this place should have been a sign but its good to practice your interviewing skills. Initial phone interview, then asked to go for on-site in NYC, to be changed to on-site in NJ. After the NJ interview, told it would be follow up phone interview, then told another on-site but with a different person, then that changed to on-site with 2 people. 2 weeks pass - told no update. Then, they just ignore your emails. The time from interview to being told of their decision was more than 2 months. If their indecisiveness in the hiring process is any indication of their business model, this would explain why their products (maybe except for WSJ), are not taken seriously and can't compete in the marketplace. Multiple thumbs down.

Interview Questions
    • None - had more experience than most of the interviewers.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

Had to pass a skills test. Interview was straight forward.

Interview Questions
    No, I accepted the initial offer.

Copy Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Initial email contact and then a test followed by a phone interview. Very straightforward.

Straightforward. They made an offer, which I declined and the increased it slightly but made it clear that was as high as they could go. I accepted.

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2012.

The HR group seems be fairly well run. They were not perfect but generally speaking they did return calls and were good about getting information to you for your interview. Everyone was also very professional and you did get a sense that people did work well together from what I could see which is a plus. The interviewing manager was courteous too and asked pertinent questions to the job position and asked about my personal situation without seeming to pry for the wrong reasons.

Interview Questions
    • How I would feel about working long hours. I do feel in some ways that is expected especially for a new employee trying to prove himself but I do get a sense that the new CEO is expecting a lot from everyone good, bad or indifferent. FYI, the job I was applying for wasn't the type you would expect to have to work extremely long hours for but I got the feeling that it would be expected because the new management wanted it that way.   Answer Question

I had another company that I was a little more interested in plus I did see that Dow Jones was getting a lot of bad reviews by current and former employees on this site. Lastly, I felt that I could do better in the salary department. Dow Jones was paying what was in my opinion a little below market rate even for this current economy.

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2008.

friendly hr staff. met in princeton nj. HR was very nice. Off ice is big and a bit intimidating. Went through 5 interviews in a row. Was asked about past experience and goals. if travel to NY was ok. pretty standard stuff.

was brought back 2 more times to meet more senior mgmt. They check references and mine were unavailable for a few weeks which slowed my offer down

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about project management - waterfall vs. agile (they do both)   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in April 2009.

Had an intial phone screeing interview with an HR person who called me 30 mins. late. Got passed this interview only to have another phone interview with a hiring manager who was on a lousy speaker phone. The hiring manager was goofy and seemed to ask questions from a pre-written list. He seemed to be looking for specific online experience which I did not have. Did not get any farther.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? Is the commute a problem?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any online application or social media experience?   Answer Question

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

interviewed at Dow Jones in March 2010.

Easy scheduling. Included one phone screen and in-person with 5-6 individuals. It was 4-5 hours process where I was asked to explain my previous project with some white boarding and architecture details.

Interview Questions
    • Failures in your previous project and how you handled it   Answer Question