Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2013.

Interview

submit resume during campus career fair, got a campus interview on the second day, 30 minutes' talk and 15 minutes' coding test.

Java Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in July 2013.

Interview

Hiring process was really simple 1 phone interview followed my face to face interview
    They asked very basic OO concepts in the telephonic interview
    face to face interview was more coding related and case specific with some white board coding.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected in fact is was much easier than expected.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

Application

interviewed at Dow Jones in March 2010.

Interview

Easy scheduling. Included one phone screen and in-person with 5-6 individuals. It was 4-5 hours process where I was asked to explain my previous project with some white boarding and architecture details.

Interview Questions

• Failures in your previous project and how you handled it   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a week later. I interviewed with the recruiter for about 25 minutes and she set up a phone interview with the appropriate people for the following week. My phone interview seemed to go well and at the end, they asked if I would be willing or able to come into their office for an in-person interview in the next week or two. I said yes and they said they would be in touch. It's been 4+ weeks now and not a word. No response to my email from their recruiter either. While I recognize that HR employees are busy, it's unprofessional to leave candidates hanging for weeks without any update. A 'no' is always appreciated over silence. I know it's an employers market out there right now but being disrespectful to your candidates reflects poorly on the company and will hinder your ability in the future to attract top talent.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Submitted application online and was contacted by a recruiter about 1 week later to set up a phone interview. Had an informal talk with the recruiter about the position, stuff on my resume, etc. At the end of the interview she said she'd like to set up a phone interview with the team. Had the phone interview with the team 2 weeks later and at the end they invited me for an in person interview at the office. I went to the office interview 1 week later. This interview consisted of an in person interview with 2 members of the team where they asked basic questions about my background and why I was interested in the position. There was then a written test with a research assignment. Offered the position one week later.

Interview Questions

• What makes you better qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed by a recruiter in NYC to set up a phone interview. After a phone interview I had an interview with the hiring manager. I was told after a 45 minute interview that they were probably hiring internally. Approximately 2 months after that interview, the recruiter in NYC called back again and we played phone tag. The recruiter did not answer emails and did not once ever answer the phone. To this day, I have no idea if she was going to make an offer or why she called so long after the interview. At one point I was calling on a daily basis to try and catch her on the phone. It was a very unprofessional and bizarre experience to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions on experience, managerial style, behavioral   Answer Question

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Entire process took about 6 weeks, had hr interview then dept manager, they asked many questions. Very nice and down to earth people. Be patients I got a call few weeks later when I applied I didn't even remember that I applied for that position. Even after the interview I had to call HR to follow up. It's a union place so ask lots of questions before accepting the job.

Product Technologist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Very poor hiring practices. I got an interview from the campus recruiting event. I met 4 people from different teams working on the same product. I got asked questions related to what I listed on my resume. They asked me some stuff about design patterns and asked me to draw out the complete architecture of one of the complex projects I worked on. Then, one of the guys made me write some code which was pretty straightforward for any CS student. I got called for final interviews a month later for which I had to meet the director who gave me a verbal offer in 2 minutes. Basically, the director just wanted to meet me and he told me I would hear back from the HR.

For a week, no response from the HR. Then, I hear back from her saying I will hear back again in a week or so. This was in October and today is January and I never heard back from them. I tried calling them and emailed them as well but I never got any response. This is the most unprofessional thing I've seen in my entire life. In fact, I wasted about a month thinking I'd get my official offer letter and I'm all set. If they were planning to take this long or even decline me, they could just say it so I'd stop waiting for it.

Customer Service Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Contact by Email
    First interview by Internet (a specific video programme showed questions and recorded the candidate answers on video format)
    Second interview + Roleplay at the DJ Offices (there were at least 3 interviews with different Customer Service Managers + a roleplay with a fourth interviewer)

Interview Questions

• Could you tell me any mistake you made at a past job? How did you solve it?   Answer Question

Low salary

Unix Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Jones (South Brunswick Terrace, NJ) in December 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by two managers. One manager was a former Windows administrator who did not have any Unix experience what so ever. He asked questions that were ridiculous and sounded like he found them with Google. Plus he only knew one answer to questions that could have numerous different answers since he did not have any Unix experience. The second was a director who appeared to be very distant from any technical work and asked non-technical clueless questions.
    It was just about the worst interview I have ever had.

Interview Questions

• Tell me five words that describe yourself?   1 Answer