Dow Jones

Relevance Date Difficulty

National Account Executive Interview

National Account Executive
San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2008.

Interview Details – Phone Call by a sales manager and then a follow up interview with sales director

Interview Question – What do you know about private markets/VentureCapital   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward no real room for negotiating

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2010.

Interview Details – phone interview, followed by a 1:1 interview

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – reasonable

Sales Coordinator Interview

Sales Coordinator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online in Feb 2011 to the Integrated Ad Sales Track Program. I was contacted 2 months later by email to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was all business - typical interview questions. After about 15 minutes, the recruiter told me she'd like me to continue with the next step, a "virtual" interview (which was a new thing for DJ). The virtual interview was 7 typical interview questions. I had 30 seconds to read each question and prepare an answer, then up to 3 minutes to answer. After that, I was supposed to hear back within 2 weeks about the next step. It took about 3.5 weeks until they got back to me. Then I was invited to NY for a 2-day event in early June (DJ pays for flight, taxis, hotel, meals). There were 27 candidates invited competing for 4-6 coordinator openings. The first day was for mingling and meeting people and learning more about the position and the company. The second day consisted of 5 interviews, 30 minutes each, with different members of the WSJ org. Each person was mostly informal and relaxed about the process, but asked typical interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite recent ad campaign or one that has stood out?   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to go into sales?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you worked in a group on a project and what the outcome was?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Application Analyst Interview

Application Analyst
Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dow Jones in April 2009.

Interview Details – describing the hiring and interview process - asked a lot of technical questions by group of people during two hours technical interview.

Interview Question – singleton design pattern   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with HR Rep (outsourced); interviewed with hiring manager. HR Rep and HR department not particularly knowledgeable about benefits. Hiring manager was easy to talk with and ask questions. Everyone in the interview process was cordial and friendly.

Interview Question – What are your salary expectations for this position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate salary. Be sure to get everything in writing.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
San Francisco, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2009.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening, then onsite interview where you will meet briefly one on one and two to three managers, there is also a skills test consisting of a writing sample and a test simulation for the work you are expected to perform.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you demonstrated teamwork skills   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call from the recruiter a few days later. Told me that he would set up interviews with the appropriate people within a few days. A few weeks passed, and I followed up a few times. The last follow up resulted in an appointment for an interview with the hiring manager.

She was very nice and professional and told me the details about the position. We followed up on the phone and she booked the next round of interviews.

No crazy questions, just specific job details and questions about my previous experience.

As I left the last interview, the hiring manager asked me for a list of my references and said that she would be making a decision in the upcoming weeks. References were never contacted, and the hiring manager hasn't returned my emails for a follow up.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult client?   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Product Specialist
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2010.

Interview Details – The Interview starts out with a phone interview, normal usual interview questions. The next step is a "Virtual Interview", they sent me a web cam and I had to go to a website to answer Interview questions. Its also timed. The questions were a bit odd. Some of the questions include:
1. What do you know about Dow jones?
2. Favorite cartoon character?
3. If you could go back in time where would you go?
4. What did you want to be when you were a child?

Just a few I remembered, I think there were about 16 questions.
 Hope this helps.

Interview Questions

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Senior Business Development Manager
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2010.

Interview Details – I learned about the position through a business contact and had an opportunity to speak with the hiring manager over the phone and learn more about the role. Two weeks later, I was invited for an in-person interview with HR and two peers from the team, each interview was 1:1.
- HR: very informal, let me ask all the questions. Spoke a lot about the company culture and how it still has a small company feel to it
- Peers: both interviews were around what I have done at previous jobs that was relevant for the position and some strategic thinking around trends in the industry and where I see the best opportunities in the future.

Did not get to round 2; they hired somebody who had previously worked at DJ

Interview Question – Have you worked on structuring deals in your previous jobs   Answer Question

Customer Value Executive Interview

Customer Value Executive
Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in August 2009.

Interview Details – Initial interview was by phone. Took about 45 minutes. Detailed questions made by personable interviewer whose job it was to screen the first group of prospects who had either been referred by a current employee or had applied online through the company's career site. Second interview was by phone with the hiring manager. Very professional and polished demeanor. She had a much better idea of what the job would actually entail on a day-to-day basis than did the initial screener and in-house recruiter. Job was actually much different than what the company web site had described. Each interviewer allowed me to connect with them via LinkedIn, thus I had a much better idea of their backgrounds and career progression before we had our in-depth conversations. This was quite helpful in the process to assess the quality of Dow Jones employees and their usage of social media in a professional setting. People who work there seem very smart and driven. The economic downturn coupled with the downward slide of the publishing industry have made Dow Jones an even more competitive place to work. The third interview was an in-person interview where the hiring manager flew into town to spend an hour with each candidate during a two-day screening process. The next round of interviews for the finalists consisted of an online presentation made by the candidates to the hiring manager and another person at the vice president level. The company took three weeks after my last interview to contact me by email about my ultimate status in the process.

Interview Question – Describe in detail your most notable accomplishment when you were able to persuade a reluctant co-worker to change his/her mind about a business objective. How did you achieve this?   Answer Question