Dow Jones

Updated Jan 16, 2015

3.1

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Took many months of calling and pestering.

None. Offer was take it or leave it.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in June 2012.

The guy calls and there is not a single word of hi or hello, directly jumped on to technical questions. I couldn't last for 5 minutes...

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2012.

The HR group seems be fairly well run. They were not perfect but generally speaking they did return calls and were good about getting information to you for your interview. Everyone was also very professional and you did get a sense that people did work well together from what I could see which is a plus. The interviewing manager was courteous too and asked pertinent questions to the job position and asked about my personal situation without seeming to pry for the wrong reasons.

Interview Questions
    • How I would feel about working long hours. I do feel in some ways that is expected especially for a new employee trying to prove himself but I do get a sense that the new CEO is expecting a lot from everyone good, bad or indifferent. FYI, the job I was applying for wasn't the type you would expect to have to work extremely long hours for but I got the feeling that it would be expected because the new management wanted it that way.   Answer Question

I had another company that I was a little more interested in plus I did see that Dow Jones was getting a lot of bad reviews by current and former employees on this site. Lastly, I felt that I could do better in the salary department. Dow Jones was paying what was in my opinion a little below market rate even for this current economy.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in June 2011.

I applied online in Feb 2011 to the Integrated Ad Sales Track Program. I was contacted 2 months later by email to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was all business - typical interview questions. After about 15 minutes, the recruiter told me she'd like me to continue with the next step, a "virtual" interview (which was a new thing for DJ). The virtual interview was 7 typical interview questions. I had 30 seconds to read each question and prepare an answer, then up to 3 minutes to answer. After that, I was supposed to hear back within 2 weeks about the next step. It took about 3.5 weeks until they got back to me. Then I was invited to NY for a 2-day event in early June (DJ pays for flight, taxis, hotel, meals). There were 27 candidates invited competing for 4-6 coordinator openings. The first day was for mingling and meeting people and learning more about the position and the company. The second day consisted of 5 interviews, 30 minutes each, with different members of the WSJ org. Each person was mostly informal and relaxed about the process, but asked typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite recent ad campaign or one that has stood out?   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to go into sales?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a group on a project and what the outcome was?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2010.

phone interview, followed by a 1:1 interview

reasonable

Applications Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2010.

telephonic screen followed by manager interview - brief about experience, recent project
    followed by technical interviews. one round is very detailed technical interview like OS level questions, tricky c++ questions, basic fundamentals

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2010.

The Interview starts out with a phone interview, normal usual interview questions. The next step is a "Virtual Interview", they sent me a web cam and I had to go to a website to answer Interview questions. Its also timed. The questions were a bit odd. Some of the questions include:
    1. What do you know about Dow jones?
    2. Favorite cartoon character?
    3. If you could go back in time where would you go?
    4. What did you want to be when you were a child?

Just a few I remembered, I think there were about 16 questions.
     Hope this helps.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2010.

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter a few days later. Told me that he would set up interviews with the appropriate people within a few days. A few weeks passed, and I followed up a few times. The last follow up resulted in an appointment for an interview with the hiring manager.

She was very nice and professional and told me the details about the position. We followed up on the phone and she booked the next round of interviews.

No crazy questions, just specific job details and questions about my previous experience.

As I left the last interview, the hiring manager asked me for a list of my references and said that she would be making a decision in the upcoming weeks. References were never contacted, and the hiring manager hasn't returned my emails for a follow up.

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

interviewed at Dow Jones in March 2010.

Easy scheduling. Included one phone screen and in-person with 5-6 individuals. It was 4-5 hours process where I was asked to explain my previous project with some white boarding and architecture details.

Interview Questions
    • Failures in your previous project and how you handled it   Answer Question

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2010.

I learned about the position through a business contact and had an opportunity to speak with the hiring manager over the phone and learn more about the role. Two weeks later, I was invited for an in-person interview with HR and two peers from the team, each interview was 1:1.
    - HR: very informal, let me ask all the questions. Spoke a lot about the company culture and how it still has a small company feel to it
    - Peers: both interviews were around what I have done at previous jobs that was relevant for the position and some strategic thinking around trends in the industry and where I see the best opportunities in the future.

Did not get to round 2; they hired somebody who had previously worked at DJ

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked on structuring deals in your previous jobs   Answer Question