Dow Jones Interview Questions

3.1

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in May 2008.

friendly hr staff. met in princeton nj. HR was very nice. Off ice is big and a bit intimidating. Went through 5 interviews in a row. Was asked about past experience and goals. if travel to NY was ok. pretty standard stuff.

was brought back 2 more times to meet more senior mgmt. They check references and mine were unavailable for a few weeks which slowed my offer down

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about project management - waterfall vs. agile (they do both)   View Answer

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Took many months of calling and pestering.

None. Offer was take it or leave it.

National Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2008.

Phone Call by a sales manager and then a follow up interview with sales director

Interview Questions
    Straight forward no real room for negotiating

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2010.

phone interview, followed by a 1:1 interview

reasonable

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in June 2011.

I applied online in Feb 2011 to the Integrated Ad Sales Track Program. I was contacted 2 months later by email to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was all business - typical interview questions. After about 15 minutes, the recruiter told me she'd like me to continue with the next step, a "virtual" interview (which was a new thing for DJ). The virtual interview was 7 typical interview questions. I had 30 seconds to read each question and prepare an answer, then up to 3 minutes to answer. After that, I was supposed to hear back within 2 weeks about the next step. It took about 3.5 weeks until they got back to me. Then I was invited to NY for a 2-day event in early June (DJ pays for flight, taxis, hotel, meals). There were 27 candidates invited competing for 4-6 coordinator openings. The first day was for mingling and meeting people and learning more about the position and the company. The second day consisted of 5 interviews, 30 minutes each, with different members of the WSJ org. Each person was mostly informal and relaxed about the process, but asked typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite recent ad campaign or one that has stood out?   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to go into sales?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a group on a project and what the outcome was?   Answer Question

Application Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Dow Jones in April 2009.

describing the hiring and interview process - asked a lot of technical questions by group of people during two hours technical interview.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in January 2009.

Interviewed with HR Rep (outsourced); interviewed with hiring manager. HR Rep and HR department not particularly knowledgeable about benefits. Hiring manager was easy to talk with and ask questions. Everyone in the interview process was cordial and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary expectations for this position.   View Answer
    Was able to negotiate salary. Be sure to get everything in writing.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2009.

Initial phone screening, then onsite interview where you will meet briefly one on one and two to three managers, there is also a skills test consisting of a writing sample and a test simulation for the work you are expected to perform.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you demonstrated teamwork skills   Answer Question
    none

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2010.

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter a few days later. Told me that he would set up interviews with the appropriate people within a few days. A few weeks passed, and I followed up a few times. The last follow up resulted in an appointment for an interview with the hiring manager.

She was very nice and professional and told me the details about the position. We followed up on the phone and she booked the next round of interviews.

No crazy questions, just specific job details and questions about my previous experience.

As I left the last interview, the hiring manager asked me for a list of my references and said that she would be making a decision in the upcoming weeks. References were never contacted, and the hiring manager hasn't returned my emails for a follow up.

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2010.

The Interview starts out with a phone interview, normal usual interview questions. The next step is a "Virtual Interview", they sent me a web cam and I had to go to a website to answer Interview questions. Its also timed. The questions were a bit odd. Some of the questions include:
    1. What do you know about Dow jones?
    2. Favorite cartoon character?
    3. If you could go back in time where would you go?
    4. What did you want to be when you were a child?

Just a few I remembered, I think there were about 16 questions.
     Hope this helps.