Dow Jones Interview Questions

3.1

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2010.

phone interview, followed by a 1:1 interview

reasonable

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Applied online through my university's career website and a recruiter reached out to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly standard.. why am I interested in Dow Jones, what do I know about Dow Jones, why sales (relationship manager position), etc. The recruiter seemed unenthusiastic and slightly bored with me and the conversation lasted less than 15 minutes so I was surprised when I found out I made it to the next round. The next round was a video interview (Hirevue) with about 20 questions and 3 minutes to answer each question. I didn't have much time to prepare for it and it was nerve-racking because this was my first "virtual" interview. I haven't received any feedback from Dow Jones since then despite my attempts to reach the recruiter so I just assumed that I didn't make the cut. The phone/video interview was still a fairly long process. . took about 6 weeks overall.

Interview Questions
    • The questions in the virtual interview were very "sales-oriented" (eg: are you a hunter or a farmer?)   Answer Question

Product Strategy and Design Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in June 2010.

The actual interview process was easy. I didn't talk to a lot of people in the group, which was a bit disconcerting. The biggest issue was that it took them a LONG time to get back to me (to the point that I discounted them as being interested in me). It turns out that HR was switching systems and took forever to push me through the process, almost losing me as an applicant in the process. I think that's resolved since then.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really questions, we just chatted   View Answer
    Again, because of the length of time that HR took, it was difficult. I feel a bit shortchanged because of it.

Index Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

I interviewed first with HR and then i had one on one interviews with 3 different managers.

Research Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a week later. I interviewed with the recruiter for about 25 minutes and she set up a phone interview with the appropriate people for the following week. My phone interview seemed to go well and at the end, they asked if I would be willing or able to come into their office for an in-person interview in the next week or two. I said yes and they said they would be in touch. It's been 4+ weeks now and not a word. No response to my email from their recruiter either. While I recognize that HR employees are busy, it's unprofessional to leave candidates hanging for weeks without any update. A 'no' is always appreciated over silence. I know it's an employers market out there right now but being disrespectful to your candidates reflects poorly on the company and will hinder your ability in the future to attract top talent.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Submitted application online and was contacted by a recruiter about 1 week later to set up a phone interview. Had an informal talk with the recruiter about the position, stuff on my resume, etc. At the end of the interview she said she'd like to set up a phone interview with the team. Had the phone interview with the team 2 weeks later and at the end they invited me for an in person interview at the office. I went to the office interview 1 week later. This interview consisted of an in person interview with 2 members of the team where they asked basic questions about my background and why I was interested in the position. There was then a written test with a research assignment. Offered the position one week later.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you better qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2010.

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter a few days later. Told me that he would set up interviews with the appropriate people within a few days. A few weeks passed, and I followed up a few times. The last follow up resulted in an appointment for an interview with the hiring manager.

She was very nice and professional and told me the details about the position. We followed up on the phone and she booked the next round of interviews.

No crazy questions, just specific job details and questions about my previous experience.

As I left the last interview, the hiring manager asked me for a list of my references and said that she would be making a decision in the upcoming weeks. References were never contacted, and the hiring manager hasn't returned my emails for a follow up.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in May 2009.

Not bad. FAir questions. MAny reviewers though

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Simple. Met 3 times. Once with SVP Finance in NYc, once with Pres of business I'd be supporting in NYC and again wit SVP Finance in New Jersey so I could see the team at HQ. had an offer shortly thereafter. No time wasted, no extra layers, no BS.

Interview Questions
    Simple, "we feel its a fit, let's move forward." Threw some numbers out there, I came back with some small requests, we agreed moved ahead. Background process took a few days. All in all, offer to start date was 3 weeks.