Dow Jones Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Simple. Met 3 times. Once with SVP Finance in NYc, once with Pres of business I'd be supporting in NYC and again wit SVP Finance in New Jersey so I could see the team at HQ. had an offer shortly thereafter. No time wasted, no extra layers, no BS.

Interview Questions
    Simple, "we feel its a fit, let's move forward." Threw some numbers out there, I came back with some small requests, we agreed moved ahead. Background process took a few days. All in all, offer to start date was 3 weeks.

Staff Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Dow Jones.

The selection process began with an informal discussion with the India Editor. I was asked about my previous employment and the reasons why I was keen on joining Dow Jones Newswires. He also asked me questions why would I prefer to join a newswire as it is very technical and based on templates. There were also personal questions on family background and future aspirations. This was followed by a three-hour long written test. The test was designed to test my basic math, news judgement, editing and writing also ethics. The news judgment section included headlines and I was asked to state how would the news headlines affect the market. The headlines included the death of the US Fed Chairman , A terror attack etc. The writing and editing questions were technical with conflicting statements and data. I was supposed to edit it and also leave notes for the reporter. The ethics section had questions on my sourcing abilities and would I rely on market rumours to report or flash a headline. The final stage was an offer letter which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was why do i chose to apply for a newswire. Most of the people join journalism as they find they have a knack of writing and storytelling. A newswire, unlike other media streams, relies on preparing in advance, making templates for a faster turnaround of stories. I found the question unexpected. If I were to be asked why Dow Jones Newswires, it would be an easy standard reply but the reason for joining a newswire was tough. I was thinking on my feet and replied that a newswire apart from a better paying job also has a stress on subject knowledge and precision. As a journalist, it would not only help me get a deeper insight in the subject, but I would be a better skilled professional.   Answer Question

National Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2008.

Phone Call by a sales manager and then a follow up interview with sales director

Interview Questions
    Straight forward no real room for negotiating

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Took many months of calling and pestering.

None. Offer was take it or leave it.

Index Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

I interviewed first with HR and then i had one on one interviews with 3 different managers.

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Applied online through my university's career website and a recruiter reached out to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly standard.. why am I interested in Dow Jones, what do I know about Dow Jones, why sales (relationship manager position), etc. The recruiter seemed unenthusiastic and slightly bored with me and the conversation lasted less than 15 minutes so I was surprised when I found out I made it to the next round. The next round was a video interview (Hirevue) with about 20 questions and 3 minutes to answer each question. I didn't have much time to prepare for it and it was nerve-racking because this was my first "virtual" interview. I haven't received any feedback from Dow Jones since then despite my attempts to reach the recruiter so I just assumed that I didn't make the cut. The phone/video interview was still a fairly long process. . took about 6 weeks overall.

Interview Questions
    • The questions in the virtual interview were very "sales-oriented" (eg: are you a hunter or a farmer?)   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2012.

Found the company to be an open atmosphere. Interviewers were relaxed and very nice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you meet the needs of different executives at the same time?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in January 2013.

The interview process started out with an initial phone call to set up a time for a interview. They were courteous and willing to work with you. If you get past the first phone interview then you move on to the second. The second interview is very standard and is similar to the first. The y ask the basic questions, so there are no tricks. After making past all two phone interview, the next process is meeting someone one-on-one. Now, the hiring manager who interviewed me was less prepared than any interview I've been on. There was the regular questions, but this hiring manager didn't seem interested. They didn't have a resume ready nor were they taking notes. It made you feel as if that hiring manager was most interested in what was around the office than what you were saying. The overall phone interviews went well, but meeting the hiring manager 1:1 was an unappealing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions: Why do you want to work for the Dow Jones? Tell me about yourself. Why should we pick you over the other candidates.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2010.

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter a few days later. Told me that he would set up interviews with the appropriate people within a few days. A few weeks passed, and I followed up a few times. The last follow up resulted in an appointment for an interview with the hiring manager.

She was very nice and professional and told me the details about the position. We followed up on the phone and she booked the next round of interviews.

No crazy questions, just specific job details and questions about my previous experience.

As I left the last interview, the hiring manager asked me for a list of my references and said that she would be making a decision in the upcoming weeks. References were never contacted, and the hiring manager hasn't returned my emails for a follow up.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

interviewed at Dow Jones in May 2013.

Simple Phone interview and then on site interview at NY

Interview Questions
    • Random question about anything they want to ask. I was asked about C++ and python even though i was interviewing for Java developer.   Answer Question

Better offer and better work place