Dow Jones

3.1

Customer Value Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in August 2009.

Initial interview was by phone. Took about 45 minutes. Detailed questions made by personable interviewer whose job it was to screen the first group of prospects who had either been referred by a current employee or had applied online through the company's career site. Second interview was by phone with the hiring manager. Very professional and polished demeanor. She had a much better idea of what the job would actually entail on a day-to-day basis than did the initial screener and in-house recruiter. Job was actually much different than what the company web site had described. Each interviewer allowed me to connect with them via LinkedIn, thus I had a much better idea of their backgrounds and career progression before we had our in-depth conversations. This was quite helpful in the process to assess the quality of Dow Jones employees and their usage of social media in a professional setting. People who work there seem very smart and driven. The economic downturn coupled with the downward slide of the publishing industry have made Dow Jones an even more competitive place to work. The third interview was an in-person interview where the hiring manager flew into town to spend an hour with each candidate during a two-day screening process. The next round of interviews for the finalists consisted of an online presentation made by the candidates to the hiring manager and another person at the vice president level. The company took three weeks after my last interview to contact me by email about my ultimate status in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail your most notable accomplishment when you were able to persuade a reluctant co-worker to change his/her mind about a business objective. How did you achieve this?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in April 2009.

Had an intial phone screeing interview with an HR person who called me 30 mins. late. Got passed this interview only to have another phone interview with a hiring manager who was on a lousy speaker phone. The hiring manager was goofy and seemed to ask questions from a pre-written list. He seemed to be looking for specific online experience which I did not have. Did not get any farther.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? Is the commute a problem?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any online application or social media experience?   Answer Question

Application Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Jones in April 2009.

describing the hiring and interview process - asked a lot of technical questions by group of people during two hours technical interview.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2009.

Initial phone screening, then onsite interview where you will meet briefly one on one and two to three managers, there is also a skills test consisting of a writing sample and a test simulation for the work you are expected to perform.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you demonstrated teamwork skills   Answer Question
    none

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2009.

First, I got on the phone with then General Manager and he described the project. Then, I met with him and the Director (separately) in person the next day. The day after that, I came in and met with two more team members. Then, the GM asked me back the next day and made me an offer. It all happened very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • They presented me with some of the current problems they were facing with the project and asked me to come up with some possible solutions on the spot.   Answer Question
    Yes. Negotiations were tough. There was pressure to act fast because they wanted me to start right away.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in January 2009.

Interviewed with HR Rep (outsourced); interviewed with hiring manager. HR Rep and HR department not particularly knowledgeable about benefits. Hiring manager was easy to talk with and ask questions. Everyone in the interview process was cordial and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary expectations for this position.   View Answer
    Was able to negotiate salary. Be sure to get everything in writing.

National Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2008.

Phone Call by a sales manager and then a follow up interview with sales director

Interview Questions
    Straight forward no real room for negotiating

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2008.

friendly hr staff. met in princeton nj. HR was very nice. Off ice is big and a bit intimidating. Went through 5 interviews in a row. Was asked about past experience and goals. if travel to NY was ok. pretty standard stuff.

was brought back 2 more times to meet more senior mgmt. They check references and mine were unavailable for a few weeks which slowed my offer down

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about project management - waterfall vs. agile (they do both)   View Answer

Research Editor Interview

after a week of submitting application form through the online. I get the phone called from the company and set up the conference interview. Since, I went back to my home country.. There are three sections of interview's process (Asking personal detail, giving scenario, research test) . Total time spend approximately 3 hours including test

Ps, the questions for interview are very general and follow the logic...
    I did not get this job but they are very professional to inform after your following up email.

Interview Questions
    • How you going to cope with the high volume of information?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Got the call about a couple of months after I applied for the position online. Swift phone interview, followed by a face-to-face interview and written test. A month or so later, got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How I would integrate a group or a team with individuals from various countries and backgrounds and get the best out of them.   View Answer
    OK. Not much wriggle room for pay negotiation.