Dow Jones Interview Questions

3.1

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2010.

I learned about the position through a business contact and had an opportunity to speak with the hiring manager over the phone and learn more about the role. Two weeks later, I was invited for an in-person interview with HR and two peers from the team, each interview was 1:1.
    - HR: very informal, let me ask all the questions. Spoke a lot about the company culture and how it still has a small company feel to it
    - Peers: both interviews were around what I have done at previous jobs that was relevant for the position and some strategic thinking around trends in the industry and where I see the best opportunities in the future.

Did not get to round 2; they hired somebody who had previously worked at DJ

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked on structuring deals in your previous jobs   Answer Question

Customer Value Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in August 2009.

Initial interview was by phone. Took about 45 minutes. Detailed questions made by personable interviewer whose job it was to screen the first group of prospects who had either been referred by a current employee or had applied online through the company's career site. Second interview was by phone with the hiring manager. Very professional and polished demeanor. She had a much better idea of what the job would actually entail on a day-to-day basis than did the initial screener and in-house recruiter. Job was actually much different than what the company web site had described. Each interviewer allowed me to connect with them via LinkedIn, thus I had a much better idea of their backgrounds and career progression before we had our in-depth conversations. This was quite helpful in the process to assess the quality of Dow Jones employees and their usage of social media in a professional setting. People who work there seem very smart and driven. The economic downturn coupled with the downward slide of the publishing industry have made Dow Jones an even more competitive place to work. The third interview was an in-person interview where the hiring manager flew into town to spend an hour with each candidate during a two-day screening process. The next round of interviews for the finalists consisted of an online presentation made by the candidates to the hiring manager and another person at the vice president level. The company took three weeks after my last interview to contact me by email about my ultimate status in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail your most notable accomplishment when you were able to persuade a reluctant co-worker to change his/her mind about a business objective. How did you achieve this?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

I guess i got screened out in this initial interview even though i had great similar experience and a great record. The knucklehead I spoke with was an HR drone and we were on the phone for about 5 minutes. No real pertinent questions and we were off the phone in a flash. It was really a waste of time, glad it was via the phone.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in April 2009.

Had an intial phone screeing interview with an HR person who called me 30 mins. late. Got passed this interview only to have another phone interview with a hiring manager who was on a lousy speaker phone. The hiring manager was goofy and seemed to ask questions from a pre-written list. He seemed to be looking for specific online experience which I did not have. Did not get any farther.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? Is the commute a problem?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any online application or social media experience?   Answer Question

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2009.

First, I got on the phone with then General Manager and he described the project. Then, I met with him and the Director (separately) in person the next day. The day after that, I came in and met with two more team members. Then, the GM asked me back the next day and made me an offer. It all happened very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • They presented me with some of the current problems they were facing with the project and asked me to come up with some possible solutions on the spot.   Answer Question
    Yes. Negotiations were tough. There was pressure to act fast because they wanted me to start right away.

Customer Servce Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Initial Phone interview with HR followed by a second one with a global manager in the US. Invited to 2 more rounds of face-to-face interviews on site. On site skills test included a role play with a team member - you have to serve an unhappy customer over the phone to demonstrate your handle a difficult situation

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Dow Jones and products? Tell me about your self and experience? Tell me about your experience when you went extra mile to exceed a customer's expectation? Role-play type skills test.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Probably the WORST company to interview with. They are a mess internally. Don't waste your time and energy. They don't respect your time whatsoever. They dragged the process for months and months. After the process, they didn't even have the courtesy of replying back to any of my correspondence. At one point, they said I had the job but then they told me I had to wait a few months. People working here are NOT happy. They finally offered the position 3-4 months after the start of the interview process. I declined. I took another offer with a company that actually respects your time.

Interview Questions
    • None. Questions were easy. Went through the entire process and then they dragged it on for months and months about offering a job.   Answer Question

Culture is a joke, wasted my time, decided I would be extremely unhappy there. Company is in shambles right now. NO funding, NO culture, it's a skeleton of it's past.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Fast paced and friendly but a little disorganised/ ad-hoc.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about this role? (A tricky one considering you're still interviewing for it...)   Answer Question

Officer Interview

Three rounds in total. First round: phone interview by Hr; second round: phone interview by regional manager; third round: senior management

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about our recent news?   View Answer

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in November 2009.

Phone interview with US, face to face interview with local manager and manager from UK.

Interview Questions
    I asked for a number within a min - max range and was given the mid value in between.